River - a few nice ones & a boating accident

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Tom_74, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +886
    Was out at the river 7-22 to the 23rd. The grass is rising in all the lakes so the frog bite / top water bite is ON. Had a few on the new 110 size whopper plopper (I do like the new size.) Of course my bigger fish came from flipping in the current.

Now onto the boating accident. I was on the CA side back water channel. I had just caught a nice one and I hear jet skis coming fast. Mind you this area is only 20-30' wide and they are hauling ***. I manage to flag 1 down and tell him "it's no wake" and just then his buddy came around the corner, saw my boat and panicked. He let off the gas and headed straight for the nose of my boat. He hit me pretty good, but no real damage to my boat. He on the other hand slammed into some thick woody tules, and he was hurting for sure. I made sure he didn't need medical attention, then basically told them off. The guy who avoided me said he didn't know he couldn't go fast. I told him it's common freaking sense! Turns out this tool is a regular at Martinez and the boat Mechanic doesn't appear to be to fond of him, and refused to fix his jet ski. That really upset me that he claimed ignorance, yet comes out to the river all the time. So I'm filing a police report, hopefully something will come out of it.

On another note, from a river facebook page I've learned that people have tried to make sure all the correct buoys are at the river, but of course CA says it's Yuma's responsibility, and vice versa. This happened on CA side so I would think it's CA's responsibility. And honestly I feel they are half to blame, because these aren't the first Jet Skiers I've seen going fast in the backwater. (Give me a badge and a big *** water taser!)

The topwater fish weren't that big
    20170722_060555.jpg

Backwater fish below - tend to be the bigger fish
    20170723_075203.jpg

Here are the morons that hit me.
    20170723_080636.jpg

Finally - Sundays clouds & humidity made for an amazing sunrise.
    20170723_053838.jpg

2. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,693
    Glad everyone and your boat made it out okay. Hope they learned a lesson or it could be worse the next time they speed. Common sense is hard to get for some people.

3. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,147
    The California Channel just needs to be closed off to all jet skis plain and simple. The GoPro Racers are real bad back there. I'm very surprised there haven't been more fatalities.

4. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +886
    It really is super dangerous when people don't respect the law, or use common sense. There is no point for a jet skier to go in the CA channel because that's all it is, a channel and you can't go fast, so might as well close it to the Ski Lice.

5. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,147
    There can be some good fishing back there, and it's great for cats.

6. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,313
    Boat:
    Yes
    Tom_74 thank goodness no one was hurt. Thanks for the report..other than the Jet Skiing Idiots.......sounds like you did well at the river.

7. Basstastic

Basstastic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Boat:
    2016 Nitro Z8
    You almost need a air horn on a belt loop for back water idiots. I have been in several close calls over the last couple years fishing the river, and its not always Jet Skiers, but they are the usual suspects. Glad yours weren't hurt.

8. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,221
    was that you that posted on the LRJ page?

9. Tom_74

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +886
    yes sir!

10. Double Minor

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,169
    Sorry Tom, "Common sense isn't very common." Learned this 40+ years ago from an old woman I called Gran. Thanks for the report!

11. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,503
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    We have a house on the river in Parker and over the last 30 yrs I've pretty much seen every moronic exhibition you could imagine in a boat. I've seen a 26' cruiser squash a jet skier, a wave runner hit a dock at 40mph, a flat bottom drag boat launch itself 60' up a beach, several boats tearing up there lower units on rock/sand bars, and the grand finale in stupidity...a guy going 40 in his ski boat, at night, t-boned a boat full of college kids floating the river in there boat..killing 2 of them. Happened out in front of our dock, on a 4th of July weekend...extremely sad! The combination of alcohol and incredibly stupid people creates situations which get out of hand real fast! There's something about the river that makes people leave their brains at home....if they had brains to start with!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,788
    I stopped frequenting the Parker area many years ago. It just got more and more dangerous. I can't imagine what it must be like now. The last time I went we stayed off the water completely except at sun up and sun down to ski. On the last day we risked going up river to visit a friend and just cruised slowly up the edge with our eyes open. While we were stopped at the fuel dock one of the super "fast guys" came screaming past in an already over full river and T boned a boat. My bf jumped in the boat and ran out to help but left me at the dock. When he came back he said there was little they could do for most of them. We went back to the house and that was my last trip. Martinez was crazy too. We hung out on the bank with the family and that place is full of sand bars. Boats would come flying up and we would stand waving our arms to try to get them to slow. I can't count the number who hit the sand bars and came full stop. Smashing in to their windshields, flying right out of the boat, you name it. The jet boats, like we had, just go right over but those outboards - OUCH! Just plain scary.

Oh, and nice fish!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,503
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Parker in the winter is a whole different place...peaceful, quiet, relaxing, and best of all....no people! Except for the 90 yr old snowbirds from Wisconsin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,312
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I always thought that if you were on the water you were in AZ. NO? If not, why the River stamp?

15. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,503
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I believe either state licence is good for the river now. I think the river stamp is extinct now.

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +29,312
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Been a while.

17. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,503
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    I've probably fished the river more than a hundred times, don't think I've ever been checked for a license. They seem more concerned with your registration being current.

18. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,788
    I bet no one skis. I imagine it's freezing!

19. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,503
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    Correct...snow runoff doesn't make for toasty water. The fish don't mind it much, they're just happy there's no jet skiers buzzing them! I suggest you bring your thickest wetsuit if anyone's pondering getting in the water in january!

20. fish4bass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Been fishing the lower river for more years than I can count. Depending on the winter, I've seen the water in the low 50's down to the mid 40's in January. And correct the river stamp is no more. Easy on the snow birds Mcfish, they usually have good alcohol and every day at 4 is happy hour.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List