River info

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by punter16, Apr 16, 2016.

1. punter16

punter16 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Hello,

My wife and I haven't been to the river/Lake Martinez to fish before and we wanted to get some info.

1) Are there areas where you can shore fish for bass, stripers, etc.? We won't have kayaks/boat for our first trip out there. We just wanted to shoot out for the weekend to get a feel for the place.

2) Any areas you'd recommend going for a first-timer?

Thanks in advance!

2. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +664
    all the canals are fishable from shore. A couple spots on the river .

3. Rocketship

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,903
    Boat:
    Skeeter 21i
    If you're active duty or retired military you should definitely check out the MCCS Campgrounds at Martinez. They have cleared banks and a few docks. They also have some boat rentals. If not, you're going to have a tough go of it. There are a few spots at Squaw Lake you can access from the bank. Mittry Lake also has some limited access bank fishing.

The river is tough to fish from the bank because of the vast amount of vegetation. The cane grows tall and will give you fits from the bank.

Weekends may not be the best time but you could also hire a guide fro the day. if you decide to go that route, let me know and I will put you in contact with Mac McDermott, he's been fishing the river for many, many years and is a tournament regular in the Yuma area.

4. punter16

punter16 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks for the info. We checked out Mittry and Squaw and I can't wait to get a kayak out there. I saw from the literature that there are stripers in Squaw but there isn't a bunch of info on-line about them. Do Rapalas/spoons work decently for them or is there another go-to lure?

5. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,870
    downloadfile-3.jpg When you bring your kyacks you can also launch out of bettys kitchen , south of mittry ,same road. From there you can access the lower river below the dam. Lots of stripers in that area. Spooks, double fluke rigs and small swim baits have worked good for me there. Got that one last year in the same area.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,873
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Ferguson has long points that go out into the lake that are fishable from shore. Long 10 mile dirt road in there and primitive camping.

7. sherpa

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,671
    Ya if you want to fish about an area about feed wide, I was just down there Tuesday- Thursday and nothing looked like you could from the bank but give it a go, you could use a tube

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,873
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Been several years since I was there. Been going there since I was 10. It is possible that it has become overgrown with tullies.