Robotic Float Tube and Halibut Fishing

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Pourboy, Dec 23, 2021.

1. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +718
    Hey all Happy Holidays,
    I wasn’t really sure which area to post this so I figured General Fishing would be the…most general. I’ve been working on a long term project and I’m very happy with the results. After a long time figuring out exactly how I wanted to do this I created a robotic frame for my float tube.

Long story short I got stuck in the back of Barrett and figured there had to be a better way of getting around. I pitched the idea to an underwater robotics team that I know and after about 6 months of work it is now an amazing device. I am posting this now because I’ve gotten a lot of questions about what powers my tube. So I created a video all about it and have some great fishing involved as well. Had a fun day on Mission Bay and managed 4 halibut and a bunch of spotted as well. It’s always fun to be on the water but it’s even better when you’re catching fish.

Check out the video for all the details about the device and how it was made. By the way I am not selling these. This was for personal use only! Who knows what the future may hold but I’m happy to answer questions about it or about the fishing. Cheers and see you on the water.

45E89725-D4D5-40C6-899B-4D9A5C464AB3.png

41454053-8384-40EA-9F67-B5DAABEC7182.png

0C671251-7E21-475C-856C-58A538D3530E.png

2. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,968
    Great vid.. I'm a sucker for DIY projects, and this one is fantastic... Big IPA fan here, so I appreciate the beer reviews.. Thanks for the post...
    Butch

3. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +718
    Thanks man! Super fun project that is a work in progress. Always good to have a tasty beverage while you’re working as well.

4. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,823
    That was pretty ingenious and a fun video. It funny when you plug drinks(do they sponsor you?..ha ha).
    Maybe I am just jealous as it would not be easy for me to make and drink White Russians while fishing even in my kayak....ha ha

#4 VinnyBass, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +718
    I know the owners of the shop. Great folks. As for the White Russians Cutwater makes an amazing canned version. Give it a go!

6. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +23,823
    Looks very interesting and a possibly a must to have on hand on Fridays next year when I have to fish near mcfish at Lake Sutherland...ha ha. Thanks for the tip. :)
    cutwater-4pk-white-russian-1000x769-1.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +718
    And 14% abv!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,541
    That is very cool. You’re story about how it all started at Barrett is almost funny except for those of us that have been in your shoes. When you are all the way In the back of Hauser and that wind kicks up and you are kicking as hard as you can and barely making ground.. it’s beyond brutal. I’m looking forward to seeing it on the water. Cheers to your great work!!!

9. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +718
    Thank you for watching and I’m glad you enjoyed and appreciated it. Truly being stuck like that is humbling. All you have time to do it kick and think. It is funny if you think back but was never humorous at the time unless you get to the past tired to delirious state which can happen. See you on the water.