Rockfish or Calico Bite?

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by TinBoatFishing, Nov 26, 2021.

1. TinBoatFishing

TinBoatFishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    16 ft Tin Boat
    Heading out tomorrow morning and trying to decide if I should head south out of SD Bay to the hardbottom area around Buoy 3, Whistler, or the Dropoff for some late season Rockfish or chase the in shore Calico bite that I read posts about. I don't get out often and trying to make the most of it when I can get on the water. May end up doing both....

As always, I appreciate the input and it is kind of neat to read a post and know you ran into that person from SDFish while out on the lake or ocean chasing fish! Tight lines. :)

2. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,225
    If you don't get out often do both, make it count

3. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,833
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    The water cooled a bit. If it were me, I would troll in shallow for a bit. If you start working over the calicos, well... If it looks like little life, head out deeper. That said, there was a LOT of bait and birds in LJ earlier today in shallow, and few dudes seemed to notice. Watch the birds...

4. TinBoatFishing

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    16 ft Tin Boat
    Beautiful SD "Winter" day with calm water. Ended up around the dropoff and whistler buoy most of the day on the drift. The abundance in varieties of fish to catch on any given day still amazes me. Ended up with a large SB and a handful of rockfish keepers on cut squid. The SB was around 130 ft down with the rest of the RF. Threw several small bonefish, halibut, whitefish, and mackerel back. IMG_E1531.JPG IMG_E1534.JPG

5. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,225
    Nice fishing good job on a mix of fish, maybe I don't understand the lingo, but was the bonefish caught in the bay?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. TinBoatFishing

Ratings:
    +54
    Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    16 ft Tin Boat
    My mistake. It wasn’t a bonefish, it was a lizardfish. Thanks to the SDFish Bay Fishing Fish ID thread for the help. All were caught south of Pt Loma Buoy 3 to Whistler area.