Rod and reel suggestions san diego bay offshore

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by amazonman, Sep 27, 2017.

1. amazonman

amazonman Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi, new here guys.
    Want to fish off shore around harbor island and shelter bay for spotties , halibut, bonito and barracudas, Any suggestions on what type of casting rods and bait casting gears i should use.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,847
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. amazonman

amazonman Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Great thanks. Rod action wise what would you suggest? Which one is best for baitcasting diawa, shimano, etc?

4. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,847
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    In my opinion, best reel manufacturers are lews, okuma , pflueger and cabo reels.. Rod choice is just a question of preference. Would say a medium action rod for lure weight between 1\4 and 1\2 oz . Follow the rod manufacturers recommendations for what you want to throw whenever possible...

5. Baja_Traveler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +972
    Right now I am really liking my Seeker Inshore ISP807 paired with an Okuma Komodo 364.

Caught the biggest kelp bass of my life with it last weekend up in Cambria at the Rockfish Slamdown, and it handled that monster superbly.

In fact, I like the combo so much I just picked up a Seeker ISP808 and will be putting on the Komodo 471 for bigger game, like roosters in Baja and football bluefin here...

6. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +61,847
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Those komodos are incredible .. Had the opportunity a couple years back to pull in a 12lb class yellow on a komodo ss prototype a guy was testing out.. Reel was just amazing. Same guy brought up a 30 lb class tuna.. Did it in less than 2 minutes.. Not what I would consider starter gear, but then again, if your first car is a caddy...

7. natural_one

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,648
    Lews Mb on any decent 1/4-3/4 up to 15# or 17#, MH fast or xfast....check the bass pro shops rods. I have three that were part of a deal I could t pass up. I've been pleasantly surprised w the carbonlites.

8. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,168
    That Lews combo mentioned above is outstanding for the price, I've had mine for 2 years now, repeatedly dunked in the bay and sandblasted on the yak. With occasional maintenance it's extremely reliable, and the rod is excellent for dropshotting or jigging plastics on 8-12lb line.

The Lews above is most definitely entry level, but they make much better stuff as well. I won't pay a ton for a rod or reel I'm using on my yak. Squidco has some really nice low end Phoenix rods for about $120, I just got a 7'3 casting rod for 1/8-1/2 oz lures, damn is it a nice rod for the bay. Everything from my report today was caught on it.

9. Urklehaze

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +807
    DICKS is always giving out $10 off coupons as well.

10. amazonman

amazonman Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks guys for the info.
    I picked up a daiwa tatula 100hl baitcaster with a matching tatula rod.
    Rod action might be too stiff but i am going to try it out, Its MedHeavy Fast action.

11. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Aspiring pirate
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,817
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    MH is perfectly fine. Good pick there.

12. YeahJohn

YeahJohn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Check out 13 Fishing. The inception baitcaster matched with the defy rod, or the concept a3 matched with the omen rod. They also have a new lower end series. These reels are awesome for the price. I have touched a few $99 bait cast combos etc that just don't last and are not that solid. Flimsy plastic handles. I would recommend spending a little more money $150 to $200 and get something that will catch fish. If you are going to try to fish the combo as your only set up go with a stiffer swim bait rod. Heavy action med tip. You may pull the occasional bait out of the mouth of a 6" spotty but when you get into better fish you will be happy you have some back bone.

Most importantly rinse your reel off after each use and focus on the crank area and worm drive. Also oil the worm drive monthly.

Just my thoughts. I have a daiwa arid costal paired with a lexa swimbait rod that I like and has lasted forever but my 13 fishing reels fish really nice. I fish everyday and they last.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  13. amazonman

amazonman Member

Ratings:
    +19
    lol i just went over to shelter island today, hook on to something descent and lost it , wondering if it was the fast action tip that lodged it out of its mouth. Plus with the med heavy action rod i could not get much distance with my cast, i was using a 1 oz drop shot rig,

14. YeahJohn

Ratings:
    +180
    You can try fishing a lighter drag. This helps compensate for rod stiffness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,168
    That's a very nice way to go for an all around bay rig. You're set as far as small plastics, jigs and live baits go. You might end up going lighter on the rod for a little more fun every day, but MH is not a bad choice from a boat, and you can always use the rod for a different rig. A word to the wise... use Reelx on the bearings, it's basically corrosionX in a squeeze bottle. You don't have any corrosion resistant bearings in that reel, but even on my cheapos I've never had a bearing failure when using ReelX. I know your reel specs as I was just looking myself and picked up a Lexa cc, which has more salt components and is pretty specialized for heavier lines and lures/bait. From my yak I usually fish a lighter rod, and drift a heavier (which is what the new reel is perfect for). Have fun!

16. Nickweissmusic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,168
    Haha, just reading this after my post above. Yep, I'd maybe step down a rod weight, or go a little slower action to get some more distance for "everyday fishing." Fast action is usually good for finesse techniques, but the trade off is casting distance. It's always a trade off...

17. porvida99

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +200
    Where do you get the coupon?

18. amazonman

amazonman Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for all the comments guys.
    Still learning and definitely will take your advice in consideration,
    Great forum!

19. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,496
    Doesn't it depend on how much weight your going to cast?

20. YeahJohn

Ratings:
    +180
    If you are tossing 1/4 3/8 or 1/2 swim bait heads it's not going to matter that much. You will notice on heavier swimbaits. I honestly wouldn't change rods. Just make sure your fishing style, line, and tackle match your rod. When you need to pull a fish out of cover or rocks you will be happy you have that stiff rod. It will also be better for calicos, bonito, and barracuda. I have caught plenty of yellowtail on my heavy swim bait rod and 100 series reel.

The key is to not yank or pump your rod when you hook. Just reel into the fish as you lift your rod tip up. I straight crank in all of my bass with little rod motion. A bigger fish will lead to a more controlled battle but don't get all crazy on your 10" spotty with a heavy action rod.