rod for So Cal seas

Discussion in 'Fishing tackle & gear' started by Glenlivet, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Glenlivet

Glenlivet New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Gentlemen,
    I am from Wa. state so more river fishing then anything else. I wanna get into ocean fishing. I'm looking to fish from oceanside south. I'm not exactly sure what fish i wanna go for. I hear yellowfin, yellowtail are good in the SD area.
    What is a good conventional rod? I've a Penn fathom 40 reel collecting dust right now. I'll be dropping that reel on the new rod. Let me know what y'all think for a good rod.
    TIA,
    Glenlivet

2. Cyborgstarfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,182
    Boat:
    Ascend FS10 kayak
    Welcome. Any rod rated 15-60lb depending what you are targeting.

3. Glenlivet

Glenlivet New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cyborgstarfish,
    A 15-60 lb, what power? Medium/light, medium, medium/heavy? What kinda action? x fast, fast,?
    tia

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,542
    Boat:
    3 too many
    Keep it cheap, generic and heavy until you figure out what your preferred fishing style is.. You could end up loving to fish calicos, yellowtail, sharks or barracuda with that rod, and until you have an idea of what you want, just take it easy..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. dantb66

dantb66 New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would get a nice calstar rod with heavy backbone & a fast tip and put this Abu Garcia® Ambassadeur® 7000 C3 Round...which makes up a solid yellowtail rod/reel combo, which basically can fish anything even up to small abli's.....plus you be happy with the performance of both. I have that reel on 3 rods.....its got a nice power handle....fast retrieve nice gearing.....good test weight & with spectra....ya can do basically anything anymore. run 17lb test mono.....and your good to go for basically everthing or buy an additional spool and put some 12 on it as well....I lived in Dana Point 26 yrs and ran 12 tuna trips a year until the fed govt shipped me off to KS to inspect cattle........sad...no ocean fishing in almost 7 yrs....Sabre used to be a favorite until the went out of business....but if ya find a used Sabre rod....like the calstar thaats cheap buy it.....they were great rods

6. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,310
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Shimano Terez series and Teramar series. Both are amazing.

7. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,793
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    X2 on the teramars and the Calstars.

8. von_smozel

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +160
    Shimano Teramar and Daiwa Proteus are both good series for the price/value under $200. Start cheap and grab a 30lb rod at the swapmeet in the meantime. Eventually you'll find a good deal on something you really want.

#8 von_smozel, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017