1. Last day to order Spotted Bay Bass Shirts

Today is the last day to order the new Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Rod repair question

Discussion in 'Rod building & repair' started by Scud, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Scud

Scud New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

Quick one - I've got two light 2 piece spinning rods that had the tops of both bottom sections pinched in a cupboard door. Both rods have sections of an inch or less on the ends of the male ferrules that have been flattened slightly with cracks on the apex of the ovals.

Both rods still assemble Ok with a bit of squeezing and jiggling and feel tight and secure. My concern is that the support is compromised and that the cracking and damage will worsen. What would the best repair option be in this case.

Many thanks.

2. Cheese Whiz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,145
    Hit up aquaholic , he can probably fix it for you, and will make you a good deal on it.

3. aquaholic

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,027
    Can you post a pic, it would help myself and others give you our opinions on how we would go about fixing it.

4. dmorgan3

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +120
    Since it is in the male piece, you could epoxy into the hollow part of the male ferrule some wooden or plastic dowel material. That would prevent any further flattening. Or you could fill it with some non-sag epoxy paste (PC7 is good) or even non-sag construction adhesive (Loctite PL 8X for example). Make sure any glue is removed from the ferrule outside, acetone will remove it before it sets up. Cure mated to the female ferrule so it sets in the right shape. You could even spray a bit of WD40 on the ferrule to prevent the pieces from sticking together if there is any glue seepage and/or let it cure a bit before matng.

5. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,056
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Here is your chance to replace them with nice one-piece rods. Blessing in disguise!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. JTrelikes

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +331
    Be really nice if you could post a picture. But from what you're describing, I'd epoxy them together. Then wrap and finish over them to strengthen the bonded area. Just won't be taking them apart anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Scud

Scud New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a mil to all. I think dmorgan3 has got a good solution there. And fisheromen, can't argue that logic :emoji_slight_smile:. Jtrelikes - also a workable solution although I'll try and repair with a view to maintaining 2 piece config first

I'm running flat out at the moment but will try to post pics. Thanks again for all the advice guys.