S. Mission 4/13 ... ended the streak

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by CraigSmith, Apr 13, 2021.

1. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    After 5 consecutive outings (bay and surf) ended the fish less streak this morning.

11 perch from palm size to 11”.

Lost a few others that got fouled in floating grass or kelp.

Nice surf conditions and worked a half dozen nice holes and rips. Floating grass and kelp was a significant problem though - only about 20% of my casts resulted in a clean retrieve. All of the nice holes had a lot of debris in them.

Worked incoming tide from 0630 to 0815.

Image below is of one of the larger fish. For reference, the fly is 2 1/4 inches long

F9E5DF50-1D35-4DC8-961A-D09EF39DD642.jpeg

#1 CraigSmith, Apr 13, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  2. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,766
    Name:
    Mike
    good sesh

3. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,817
    Nice going - that's a big perch.

4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,292
    It's comforting to know that even you, Craig, skunk from time to time. :)

I've been seeing a lot of perch reports. Seems like they're making a comeback, no?

5. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,074
    Quality and quantity... Congrats on the skunk busters....
    Butch

6. bajacamp

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,127
    Nice perch and great report.....Yeah Craig 5 outing is tuff without a hook-up . Good to see the skunk streak is over for you....

7. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    Perch catches have been improving for a couple of years but this year seems much better than last.

What’s nice is that more novice fly anglers are getting into perch in their first couple of outings this year - which helps build confidence. Since the 2015 El Niño, a good number of fly anglers, many of them newbies, tried a few times and gave up due to lack of success.

This morning a bunch of terns were diving into a rip that formed over a deep hole close to shore within casting distance. A beautiful looking spot except it was collecting so much grass and kelp that it was not fishable. At least with a rod and line. The terns were getting their share.

8. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,074
    Good way to end the skunk...Nice....
    Butch

9. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    Full sink or intermediate sink? I'm so used to using full sink I'm not sure I'd know what to do with an I/S line !!

10. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    No full length intermediate lines in the surf for me unless the surf is less than 1 foot and the beach is a really shallow gradient. Which means almost never. A line with an intermediate sinking head just doesn’t get down fast enough.

I usually use either
    A) An old school interchangeable shooting head system with 30’ fast sinking heads looped to a thin intermediate shooting line. This my most used setup since I can change heads for changing conditions. For example, changing to a faster sinking head in heavier surf or steeper gradient beaches.

or

B) A fast sinking integrated shooting taper line (e.g. Rio Striper, Rio Outbound Short, Scientific Anglers Sonar, Orvis Quick Descent, Airflo Surf, etc) that has an intermediate running line. The fast sinking head pulls down the thin intermediate shooting line quickky. I don’t use integrated shooting tapers with a floating running line ( e.g. Teeny, Rio Avid 24ft sink tip) in the surf since the floating portion can be a pain.

I have used old school full length sinking lines (entire length sinks at same rate) in the past but they don’t shoot as well as shooting heads or integrated shooting tapers. They do work though and are less expensive. For better casting go up two line sizes with these. For example use an 8wt traditional full length sinking line with a 6wt rod. The 30 ft head of an 8wt line will weigh 210 grains. With integrated shooting tapers ( which have 24 to 30ft head) , a 200 grain line is usually matched with a 6wt rod. If you were use a 6wt traditional sinking line you would have to extend about 40 feet of line outside the rod tip to get an equivalent load and that is a lot of line to to manage in the surf.

11. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,224
    Going with the 6wt 200gr long sink tip. Just cant justify picking up (another) new line for a surf session or two where I'll probably get blanked anyway.

12. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379

That should be fine. If it is a type with a floating running line you may have some line control issues in bigger surf conditions or when both the primary and secondary swell are short period (say less than 10 seconds). Can be mitigated by waiting to make your cast until the edge of the foam is close to you. I have used a Teeny T-200 in the surf (Rio Avid 24 ft sink tip is similar) with success. Both have floating running lines.

13. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    CraigSmith - There are a couple of relevant SA Sonar varieties. There's the Sonar Stillwater Seamless Density (Glenn Ueda uses this one for Corbina) and the Sonar Titan. I believe both are already two-sizes heavy. In practical terms, what is the difference between these two versions of the same series when considering (a) Surf/shore, and (b) personal watercraft such as tubes and yaks?

Tell me if I'm on the right track...

Starting with (b) - I think it's the easier answer - they'll both work fine, but the seamless density is probably the better option given where you're fishing and casting to / trolling through. Better sink profile at depth so the fly ends up where you need it in the water column. It's an MPX taper, so it's a bit more generalized (nymphs and streamers)

(a) Surf/shore - Sonar Titan may be the better option - it's a bit more purpose-built for chucking streamers. The front taper looks similar to the Rio OBS (much of the weight in the first 15or so ft), so I imagine it would cast similar but not same (SA Titan is 240gr @7wt vs 265gr for the OBS, both 30ft heads). I'd stick to the faster sink rates. The

I think if I was fishing from a boat/tube/yak often I'd go for the Sonar Seamless Density (or equivalent RIO). However if surf is the main obsession, either Rio OBS or Sonar Titan would be preferable over the Sonar SD. Whether Titan or OBS, considering AFFTA 7wt is 185gr, SA Titan comes out at +2 line weights, and OBS is +2.5. Maybe you can tell the difference, maybe you can't - probably depends more on your rod's stiffness.

...is that about right?

14. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    The Stillwater Seamless Density and the Rio Fathom lines are roughly equivalent.

I have both Outbound Short and Titan Taper lines. They fish about the same. The difference in grain weights for same rated line doesn't seem to make a difference to me. Some of the Outbound Short lines are now triple density this year just like the S.A. Sonar Titan triple density lines. (Airflo and Cortland have similar lines). Some casters might find that they may be a bit more accurate with the MPX taper, which is also more forgiving with regard to how much line you have outside the rod tip to make the cast.

For fishing the surf I, or even sight fishing to corbina, I haven't experienced a functional difference between most of the sinking lines. You are not fishing deep enough for the varied density rates to really make much difference. Different anglers may prefer one line over another for how they cast for them.

I also don't see much difference in usage for the bay, except I often prefer for the bay a line with a floating running line since it makes a good visual strike indicator (up to half of the fish I catch I don't feel the initial grab but I see the line twitch).

With regard to drifting fast/trolling a traditional interchangeable shooting head with a mono or other thin shooting line will stay deeper. It will also sink faster even if the head is rated the same sink rate as a full length line because the thin shooting line creates less resistance to the head than the thicker fly line running line portion. Something like the Sonar Titan Sink3/5/7 is close, but still doesn't sink as fast as the Rio OBS S7 or 30ft section of Rio T-8, T-11, or T-14 attached to a mono shooting line.

15. mistercameron

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +642
    ...and I imagine you would prefer your intermediate lines be an intermediate head and floating running line, as their real utility is in the bay, and almost never in the surf?

16. CraigSmith

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,379
    For the bays I use a line with a 15ft intermediate tip and the rest of the line floating when fishing from shore.

From a boat I use a line that has a 30ft intermediate head and floating running line or a full length intermediate line. I find them interchangeable most of the time. However if there is a bit of a breeze the full intermediate will get below the wind driven surface currents and not get a bow in the line as happens with a floating section.