Safety Concerns in the SD River?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by fisheromen, Mar 19, 2014.

1. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,646
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I read, this morning, that a fisherman found a body in the River. Does that concern any of you that fish it?

2. daBASSwrangla

daBASSwrangla Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Boat:
    15ft seaswirl 85hp
    A little... That spot is a place that I wouldn't fish by myself. Even before this incident. Ill still be out there sometime this weekend. I hope this will motivate the city to flush out those camps

3. Martin_B

Martin_B Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It doesn't concern me too much, but I usually stay out of the shady looking areas. If I do head to that area by myself, I let someone know where I'll be and I usually keep my K-Bar "tool" strapped to my side.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,646
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I would prefer my Springfield Armory "tool" strapped on my side. The sheriff's dept is stalling , big time, on processing those CC applications. They cannot believe that a court finally recognized our 2nd amendment rights!

5. Martin_B

Martin_B Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd prefer my Springfield as well, but I'm in the same boat as you. I still can't believe it was the 9th circuit of all circuits that said if was a violation of the second amend.

What kind of Springfield? I have a 1911 with some special love from Nighthawk Custom.

6. daBASSwrangla

daBASSwrangla Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Boat:
    15ft seaswirl 85hp
    I dont know if they want us guys from southeast sd strapped lol. I have a ruger 9 and would love to leave home with it if I could.

I've been down there with no issues. I like the urban fishing feel, but I dont like the feeling that I have to watch my back when I put in my earphones. They need to clean the whole river valley out and make it more accessible and safe to us taxpayers!!!

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,646
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The Springfield XD-9 is actually my wife's. I'm old-school with a S&W .357.

8. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,691
    I always have something on me too..i do hit alot of these spots solo, but makesure theyres plenty of sunlight...i was near this spot the other day on a really small pond and somebody started throwing rocks at me..the vegetation is dense and i couldn't see who it was...i was there the day before and the same thing had happened but i didn't think anything of it..since its close to a golf course i figured it may be just golf balls....until it happend again in the same spot...

9. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +593
    I would bring the 9mm if i was desperate, but bass fishing just aint worth it if those are the circumstances you have to deal with while fishing.

10. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    Yes that concerns me. I swear I am going to be late for my own wedding sometime because I am stuck fishing some were. I often fish the SD river alone because nobody ever wants to go with me at night. I will walk the shore of float tube it sometimes until 2 or 3am. I have seen plenty of weird druggies and whacked out people down there. The worst was the pack of coyotes trying to make off with my catfish bait one time though. Luckly I have never had a incident with a person. The rule of thumb I go by when ever going to the river or any other out of the area place like Loveland or anything is bring your Smith&Wesson "tool" strapped to your waist in plain view. A cop or game warden has to understand your just trying to protect yourself. Humans are one thing but at Loveland, you are never going to hear that kitty coming. (Mountain Lion)

11. KMJ

KMJ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That makes me a little weary to hit the river, especially considering it's down the road from me and already my go-to spot. I already carry my Springfield with me when I go though so still not too worried. No CCW required by the way - Straight from the Handgun Safety Certificate handbook:

"The prohibition from carrying a concealed handgun does not apply to licensed
    hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or
    returning from the hunting expedition. (Pen. Code, § 25640.)"

Here's what California penal code 25640 states:

"25640. Section 25400 does not apply to, or affect, licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing expedition."

I concealed carry the pistol with the magazine on my other hip when going to and from, then load and re-conceal once I'm actually fishing. I haven't found anything yet to indicate that's illegal to do at the river either.

12. Joefish

Joefish Guest

Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks for stating the facts. Nice to see that us licensed fisherman can still pack heat. I will be sure to make a note of that by the other river water law that states it has to be accessible by the public an the high water mark.

13. KMJ

KMJ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will say though, I wasn't aware about the Ninth Circuit stuff until reading this thread. Definitely going to be putting in my application and crossing my fingers!

14. DrifterRob

DrifterRob Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks KMJ for the information, I had no idea either. Looks like I will also be carrying my Ruger 9mm

15. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,842
    Yeah that is a little known fact in the gun laws. Had known a few fishermen to take advantage of this though.

Just be careful when transporting, like the handbook says they can't be loaded, so don't be lazy. Also have to have ammo out of reach when driving.

The anglers Ive known to take advantage of this regulation have said placing the unloaded firearm in plain sight while driving was preferred by law enforcement. They usually carried their handguns on the dash of the truck, with the ammo put away in the back.

16. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +593
  17. Widgeonator

Widgeonator Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7

Any idea when they might be a little more friggin lenient on granting out cc permits? I dont fall into the 4 categories (business owner, handler of large amounts of money, current law enforcement, or being previously threatened with my life), but i sure as hell want to carry to protect myself. it's bull crap that they dont let us have this privilege...

18. Chris k

Chris k Walking Encyclopedia
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +209
    Name:
    Christian Konopasek
    I just keep a m1911 in .45 when I fish there

19. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,646
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    According to the courts it should be wide open. It is the police agencies that are purposely dragging their feet. It is a travesty!