Salads, sand crabs & skunks

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by perch killer, Aug 24, 2021.

1. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,814
    A 3 session report over past 7 days. Started out a week ago at PB, tons of salad & impossible surf conditions from Linda. Moved to SMB for same rough wash machine conditions without the salad. No sc's and no takers on mussels. 2nd session was a rare (for me) weekend visit to dog beach at Coronado. Lasted all of about 20 minutes as the kelp & grass was unbelievable. Jumped back in the car & headed for SMB. Unbelievably excellent water conditions but again , no sc's to be found. Nothing but perch nibblers on mussel & frzn lugworms. The last session today at MB found really nice surf conditions but also enough kelp & grass in the water to make things difficult. After about an hour in, the salad just amazingly disappeared. Only found a couple of sc's for nothing but after the double skunk sessions, avoided the trifecta with a hand size BSP on mussel to at least get on the KOTB board.

Bottom line for these beaches: no sand crabs, no fish. If anyone knows why that is while other beaches are still reporting abundant sc's, clue me in. I have no idea. Hopefully, they will make a re-appearance soon ?

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +19,149
    I wish I had all the answers, i’m scratching my head too

3. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,742
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for the report. I'll add that OB was pretty salad free this morning, no sand crabs to speak of.. Searched and found one bed with micros deep, not enough to make a micro meatball.