Saltist 30 or fathom 30?

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by Dat_fisherman, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,564
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Hey SDfish, thanks to my new job, I got a boat full of cash for a surface iron setup. I already got the rod I wanted, it's a seeker TAC80-8' C rated for 25#- 50# line (pictures below) at a kobey's swap meet for a killer deal. I got it for $300, when the retail price is around $450 including taxes. Now I'm looking for a reel, i'm split between the Daiwa Saltist 30, or the Penn Fathom 30. I already own a saltist 20 h, and I love how it casts. I was also told that the Penn Fathom would be a great Surface iron reel by many of y'all, but I was curious about the saltist. I ruled out the shimano torium because of its crazy price tag for a cheaper made reel compared to the saltist or the fathom. Since tackle day is coming up at fishermans landing, I want to either get it there or from a buddy who would give me a helluva deal on either reel. Any reel finding help is gladly accepted by me.

Thank you and tight lines,
    Dat_fisherman.

P.S. I was also wondering what # braid I should get. I was thinking either 50# or 65# braid.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

2. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,127
    Boat:
    Nunya
    For Surface Iron specifically, I would look at the Fathom 25N before you ultimately decide.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,564
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Ok, I'll keep it in mind!

4. afishnsea

afishnsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Name:
    Phil
    Congrats on the seeker! I haven't used that series yet but I'm a huge fan of their products especially the ulua's for surface irons. With the rod that you have it's most likely that 30lb is the sweet spot but can fish 40 if you want to however not ideal. That's just my opinion based on feel after pulling on then in the shops. Keep in mind I like to fish heavy drags as well so this is my preference so to say. My advice would be take it to a shop and mount both reels on it to see which one fits and balances out better. Both reels will serve you well but the saltiga is far superior to almost any other reel and I can speak from experience on that, it's just built better and will last you a lifetime. I have a avet mxj star drag, squall 25, fathom 30, saltist 40, saltiga 20 and saltiga 35. As far as size goes it's my opinion that the 30 or 35 is more for guys that like to use braid with a short top shot or straight 25-30lb izor. There are a fair share that prefer the 35 for fishing 40lb mono though. The 40 is my favorite for a true surface iron reel that can properly fish 100 yard top shot of 40-50lb plus it will out cast the smaller reels and is more user friendly for someone just getting into the surface game. Well good luck in your search, it's always fun getting new toys.

#4 afishnsea, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  5. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,564
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    I agree that getting new gear added to the arsenal is very fun, I’ll take you advice and get my seeker in the shop and find out what reel fits best!

6. Jenx

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,605
    I second what Chriwilson said. My first choice would be the Fathom 25n. It really come down to how much mono you want on the reel. If you want a lot of mono on it then you may want to go with the 30, but if you are mostly using braid then the 25n has more than enough capacity.

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,331
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Fathom 100%

8. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,564
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Alright... fathom it is!

9. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,671
    Name:
    I have one
    Fathom 25n, makes sure you get the star drag. Feel like this same topic has been going around and around… don’t look back at it or second question yourself. If you learn to tie an FG knot properly, go with 65# braid, just avoid the more coarse 4 strand stuff. No fun. get about 300yds on, then a generous mono topshot. About 100yds of 40# mono. Ande or Izorline XXX.
    Next, the iron itself. Start off with a JRI7 and a stinger lite as they are by far the most consistent jigs that won’t break the bank.
    Then once you get the feel, grab some Tady45s and Salas 7xs (once you learn what to look for in a good swimmer). Stay away from all those other hyped up jigs. OCTs are great but holy cow here expensive.

10. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Aspiring pirate
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,816
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Spirit of Adventure
    I’ve owned a few saltists and plenty of fathoms. Get a fathom 25n

11. skrilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,350
    Honestly between those 2 pick the color you like best. Both are great with a slight nod to the Fathom II.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,937
    Why not a lever drag, just curious

13. Gabemorales

Gabemorales KelpSnagger
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,671
    Name:
    I have one
    Think the LDs are at least $50 more, plus not sure if you get a true Freespool with a lever drag. I could be mistaken but that’s what I’ve always been told and what I came to the conclusion of after my own research.
    a true Freespool is what you want if you’ll be casting that reel a majority of the time. anyone with more knowledge wanna chime in?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,127
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Lever Drag - Star Drag

If you’re consistently getting your target distance (80+ Yds) and can get your jig to swim, it really doesn’t matter that much. Especially if you’ve dialed it in and are comfortable casting your setup(s).

Using the right jig for the conditions, now that’s important...

#14 Chriwilson, Oct 21, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  15. Dat_fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,564
    Name:
    Luke Winczowski
    Agreed, but I’ve casted my dads lever drag fathom 30... I would rather have a star drag in that case, I also agree with gabe with the price difference.

16. Deep color

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +904
    I've used the Saltist the past 2 seasons. It'll be my surface iron reel for long time. Started out using 40lb mono, but switched to 65lb j braid Grand and have never looked back. Fathom will catch fish too Screenshot_20211022-093544_Gallery.jpg

17. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,057
    Name:
    Eric
    I'm another 25N star drag on the jigstick supporter. I like the power gear version for swimming the jigs on a lower gear ratio, most of the classic surface irons were designed to swim on a lower gear ratio. Also helps recoup some of the advantage given up to the fish on a long rod.
    Handle both of the reels you're considering go with whichever one you like more.
    I've heard many deckhands and captains praise the fathoms as reliable workhorses, and recommend them as quality reels in the same sentence as reels that cost more than twice as much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Brandon Mori

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +379
    I've always used star drags because you can adjust the tension knob dependent on what you're throwing that day. Lever drags you can't. I also have a tendency to be light on my drag, so having the star drag allows for easy adjustments mid-fight. Lever drags still have a great free spool, especially those Fathoms. If you have the educated thumb, you can most definitely use the lever drags for casting irons. I like to be able to tighten my tension knob when I'm just having one of those pro backlasher days.

Just like what everyone's said here, get the Penn Fathom 25N. The Torium 20 is a great reel, don't knock it until you try one out. But if I'm taking one jigstick, I'm taking the 25N solely because I think it free spools better, is a little easier to cast, and I think it might have a little more torquing power. My Torium 20 is a backup jig reel, but primarily a bait reel.

Whatever reel you end up getting, fill up your reel with about 300yds of braid and a 100yd topshot of 40lb izorline XXX. The braid will most likely be 65lb if you get a Fathom.

#18 Brandon Mori, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Treble Chuck

Treble Chuck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Name:
    Chuck
    I love my penn fathom 30 start drag, it’s lightweight but a workhorse.

20. Slater

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,463
    another vote for the 25n....