San Diego 3/4 Day 9/14/2014

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by CrazyDonkey, Sep 15, 2014.

1. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    First off I will start by saying that this will be more a review of the trip/boat/crew/fellow passengers than a long drawn out story that's filled with expletives describing how I was catching, not just fishing...I had a rough day yesterday but the boat did ok as a whole as far as the fish count goes. This was my first 3/4 day trip that was not on my normal boat...please forgive me, I cheated, I'm sorry :bawling:

With that out of the way I will start off with a review of the boat/landing. I was on the San Diego out of Seaforth due to a last minute cancellation of a someone in a group of my friends. First thing was paying and signing in. Well the landing opened the doors a good 10-15 minutes late, if a boat is due to leave at 0530 and your doors are not open by 0500 at the latest...you're wrong. I also didn't understand why we paid inside and then went right outside the door and signed in for the boat, didn't really make much sense to me. So since the store opened late, we left late.

On to the boat. The San Diego is a nice boat with plenty of space for rods and tackle but I think the 51 we had on board with one or two of the crew fishing was a little much, maybe cut off 5 or so people. The galley was nice and very spacious, tables were a good size with plenty of room when you sat down. It also has a TV that they played the Chargers game on. One thing I really liked was the cooler space below the bait tanks where the fish went so instead of sitting in a cooler on deck they sat down there with water pumping through, I'm sure this helps with the quality of the meat after a long day out there.

Now for the crew. First off I will say I think they were a decent crew but there were some issues which put me off and will probably prevent me from coming back (plus I probably won't cheat on my regular boat again). This will basically be in comparison to my regular boat as they're awesome to me. First issue was the cook, the guy had an attitude all day and made it seem like he was doing you a favor by letting you order. If you ordered food he would make it (took a long time) and then just leave it on the counter, you would have to randomly go check or just wait down there till it was done, he would not call it out. When I went to pay my galley tab I iwanted to get some change so I could tip the cutter, the cook looked at me and said no change, I look down in the box and there is a ton of change. My regular boat (they rotate two cooks) cooks decently fast and when it's done they call it out in the galley and then take it outside and yell it out or they go find you and give it to you. Deck management was pretty much non existent till we got on some yellowtail at the end of the day. They did not manage the people fishing, they weren't out looking for signs of fish, no one up top with binos scanning etc. I also noticed once we left a spot the crew just sat down and chilled, they were out cleaning the deck and getting rid of the dead bait etc. My normal boat starts management from the minute we get on the boat till we are off, once we reach the start of the fishing area they have at least two crew members looking for signs of fish with binos. They also start cleaning the deck right when we pull off a spot and they get the dead bait out of the tanks. Two times on this trip a deck hand was in the process of unhooking a fish for me and then he saw someone else hook up and he would just drop my fish and walk off, hook still there and everything, that is a no-go for me and could be an automatic no-tip situation. The crew would actually yell at some of more experienced people for telling the other customers to move left/right and under/over...well you know what? I wouldn't have to if you would do what you're paid to do. My regular boat...that would never happen, they encourage the more experienced people to help guide the newer ones and help out. The crew also had one kid in it, I would have to guess around 13 or so...I understand crewing early but I don't think a 3/4 day is the place for that. N/A for my regular boat because I don't believe they would have someone crew that was that young. To end on a positive note the fish cutting was really good and fast, I tipped him on the side. This is a tie for my regular boat I think, the San Diego cutter might have been just a hair cleaner with his cuts.

Passengers...3/4 of the boat did not have a clue what they were doing. It's like you took a big bunch of people who had never even seen a fish before and threw them on the boat. I had a big yellowtail on and someone was wrapped around my line like twice...he starts pulling out his cutters and I yell no, he looks at me and then cuts my line. That guy almost got his teeth knocked out and flipped over, I was just livid, crew just watched and didn't say anything to him. As I stated before the crew did not manage people pretty much the whole day so when we finally got on the good sized yellowtail it was too late and it was just a giant cluster ****.

Fishing, the last couple hours we got away from the small bonito and found the 20-30lb+ yellowtail, that fights were amazing, especially for me since I was fishing light. I popped a couple off, lost a few to tangles, lost a few going over people due to having to high stick because they didn't move and blah blah blah. There were 4 times that I got broke off almost right away, I think it was due to having a twist inside the Palomar knot I was using, I switched to the SD Jam but didn't get anything big enough to test it. I did catch a ton of small bonito and two big ones along with a 15lb yellowtail.

Worst part of the trip...double hooking a 30lber with another person, bringing it up and both booking the corner of the mouth on opposite sides. Had to flip for it since neither was deeper and I lost.

All in all I probably will just stick to my regular except on a couple rare occasions when I get a last minute invite to fill a spot for some friends. Post is long I know. If you disagree, agree etc then please post.

2. dingokevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +337
    Yeah I have had nothing but bad experience with any of the Seaforth boats.

3. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    This is my second or thrid Seaforth boat this year and they have all been like this. My friends I went with a regulars and they love the San Diego, I don't know how? I was talking about how no one was spotting, the crew getting mad at me for telling the idiots to move and they were shocked that I thought I was right. But then again that same group had a Seaforth charter that was aboslute garbage from what they were telling me but they were happy with it and didn't even talk to the skipper or anything.

4. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    I want to preface this by saying; I am not taking any personal shots at you or anything. I know reading posts online can be strewn out of context.

I fish both of those boats and I have for quite a while. The Chubby is no doubt a different atmosphere, thats what I love about that boat. Its awesome. I am partially biased because I have a friend or two who work on that boat. Kevin is a good buddy of mine and Grant has always been an excellent cook.

You have to understand that these operations can't equally be compared.

The Chubasco is a private business, while the San Diego is paying Seaforth daily. There are certain expectations from the San Diego.

You can ask a lot of guys who fish or work the boats. The SD is one of the tougher to work on, ask Kevin next time you see him on the Chub, he will tell you that. That boat is full of exactly what you are talking about, rental rods and people that cant tell a yellowtail from a croaker and how many times can you tell 49 people to take a step to their left with out going insane?
    The crew probably is a bit jaded and over it. Imagine how exhausted you are after FISHING a 3/4 day trip. Let alone working 6-7 days in a row....This season is taking its toll on people. I understand that it is their jobs and that they are expected to perform daily. But its a fishing boat. If you want smiles and a pat on the back, you wont find it there.

I know you can flip the script and say "Well what about the Chub? How come they arent *** holes?", and youre right. There really isnt an excuse for being a dick.

If you arent super happy with cattle boats, hit me up and lets organize a charter. My buddies and I charter the pronto or the chub at least 2 times a year. Its awesome. Once you charter fish you will never go back. If you do, youll have a tough time doing it.

Finally, you often mention fishing lighter gear. A curado 300 I believe.... step up that tackle game! If you are fishing in the kelp or whatever you need to get rid of that light gear. Especially fishing on cattle boats. You need every advantage you can get. It only frustrates the deckhands more when they are watching their money swim away after breaking off.

I see your frustration and I understand it completely, but at least you caught fish, right? It cant always be sunshine and rainbows. It's, unfortunately, what you and I have to deal with by not owning a boat.

I know you are a regular on the Chub and I am positive we will be out there together at some point or another! Until then, keep killing fish!

btw, I am serious about the charter. Send me a PM and lets get together. We are always looking for people to go!

5. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    Oh I won't take this the wrong way, I posted it to share the difference between the boats and crews and if people thought I was way off base with what I was expecting. I think that if maybe I had been on these boats and not the Chub then I wouldn't be too upset but seeing as I am a regular on the Chub and I was spoiled...well this happens.

While I do understand that one is Private and one is ran by the landing...I would think that the landing would be a lot more strict with how they operate considering that they are a pretty decent sized operation there. But then again I can also see how because they're big they can't see every little thing. Now the Chub on the other hand has two boats with a seasond crew that just plain works well together and treats people like friends...this could be because they want the repeat customers, they actually do care, they don't want Ernie decapitating them or a little bit of them all.

While I do understand it's a cattle boat and that the crew probably is jaded from the turn and burn season...it still is there job and there should be at least a minimum expectation of service other than theym showing up to work. I do understand that they are probably just so burnt out, but like we have both said, the Chub does it so why can't they? But I can see both sides of the coin and I know I wasn't giving the best service when I have had to work 12-15 hour shifts for long stretches with no days off.

I'll PM you about the charter, I really have wanted to get on one but I could never get my few fishing friends to commit and I can't really afford more than $200 a trip right now unless planned out a good amount of time a head so I can budget for it.

And yes...the lighter gear, I know this is a limitation for me sometimes but right now I'd rather spend money actually fishing as opposed to buying another setup. I was right amout at the limit of the Curado on those 30lb yellowtail. I did borrow a Trinidad 16A on a Phenix Abyss(I think an Abyss) but I only got one big bonito on it.

That is true, I should be happy about catching some fish, I'm just upset at the situation when I lost fish due to issues outside of my control (mostly, one could argue if I had the "correct" gear I could have not been in them).

6. Gerald

Gerald Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Boat:
    22 foot CC
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience on the San Diego. I had a really bad experience with them a few months back also. The captain that runs the boat on Sunday and Monday is a fill in captain from what I have heard. It seems like he lets the deck hands treat the passengers like crap and do whatever they want. I have also heard the boat owner and operator is a great guy and have yet to find a bad report on the San Diego whenever he is running the boat. I refuse to ever step foot on that boat again because of the way we were treated when I fished it. I have been on the Sea Watch from Seaforth and that boat is much better then the San Diego imo. Take care and hope you catch some more nice tuna this year.

7. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    @Gerald Thank you for your reply. And I actually believe you are right about the skipper, I had heard the normal castain is Ryan or something like that? But that was not who was driving that day.

I'm not at all opposed to trying out other boats because I feel that I learn something everytime I go out, especially from fishing with different people and the advice givin from the deckhands. I had heard the San Diego was good and had looked up past dock totals so when my friend called and said they had a spot open for the next morning I was pretty excited. Maybe I'll have to give it shot when the normal captain is driving but I do like the offer from another posted about getting with him on a charter.

8. calfredo66

calfredo66 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I've been on the San Diego 3 times this year. My mistake. I would say the crew sucks but it pretty much been said. No offense to people who know them. I know a few crew members on a few boats. Won't change my opinion of the trip as a whole. I wont go back on this boat again. Sadly it was recommended by another captain/high school buddy. Sam experience all 3 times. No excuse for it.

9. amsuarez86

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +594
    Stinger is the captain you're taking about. He has more experience on the water than anyone in the fleet. He's an old school salty *** fisherman.

10. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    Yup, that's the one I'm talking about...everyone makes sure to let me know he is a legend.

11. dlund82

dlund82 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I have had a similar experience. I went on my first 3/4 day trip earlier this year and I choose the San Diego based on reviews and recommendations.

I had never been on a 3/4 day boat. I did my research, had the correct gear and a good idea of what to do. The crew really didn't seem to eager to help people that didn't really know what they were doing. I have been on a lot of 1/2 day boats so I wasn't really new to cattle boat fishing but was pretty discouraged at the end of the trip.

I have gone on two 3/4 day trips on the chub and had a much better experience. They are much more focused on making sure everyone has a good time and they try their best to put us on the fish.

I will go out on the San Diego again now that I have more experience, just wanted to share my experience.

12. weldon

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,570
    That's why they call them "cattle boats" that cater to nothing but tourists. Get their money, pack 'em on and who cares. Too many charter boats forget that they are selling a "SERVICE." The "SERVICE" a charter boat offers is for each and every passenger ( both the experienced and rookie alike) be helped and assisted during the 6-7 hrs on board (3/4 day)in a friendly and safe manner. That also means locating and helping passengers catch fish so that at the end of the day they have had an enjoyable outing on the water (some of them for the first time) and would like to do it again. Granted always locating/catching fish isn't a given but you are paying for the captain/crew expertise in attempting to do so. Other than that it's just an expensive boat ride where you can't wait to get back to shore. I also have to remind captains that you are in charge of the boat and set the tone of "SERVICE" for the crew. You may run a good charter but I have seen many good boats with excellent reputations with a substitute captain turn a day on the water into as I said just a long boat ride where you can't wait to get off and the reputation you have worked hard for takes a hit. In passing I must say as a club officer we have chartered the Chubasco many times and Captain Ernie/crew run a good boat and I consider them to be the benchmark of what a good charter boat is all about.

13. Redeye13

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22
    Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Marlin Kokanee WA 23
    I was on this trip.. (Quite white guy fishing with old school gear). First off, I have not been on a cattle boat in ages... I have my own boat. I found it unorganized as well, to wait in a unmarked boarding pass line then be subjected to another line, why cant they do this all a once?? Crew was rough around the edges, and not welcoming to tourists or newbies. That being said, the captain did run the show how I would, moving around spot to spot and chasing the school once found. Cook was unresponsive like talking to a zombie. Deckhands were yelling and making people uncomfortable to ask questions. Deckhands seemed to have no boss just running around kinda snotty, arrogant and weird. Overall... captain good crew was wack. 1 20 lb yellow and a bunch of catfish bait.. couple lost tails.

14. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    That was my take home fish as well. I actually broiled some bonito last night and made a jalapeño cream sauce, rice and home made slaw, turned out great.

15. Redeye13

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +22
    Name:
    Ray
    Boat:
    Marlin Kokanee WA 23
    Nice, I was thinking about some of the nicer 5+ lb bones... but just froze them whole in the end. Second thoughts would be: 1. Bring my lighter/higher end gear.

16. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    Well there at least 4 fish towards the end that I lost due to using a weak knot. They broke off right when I put it in gear and lifted. I was fishing light gear with 20 and 25lb long leaders, I hooked up quite a bit but lost a bunch. If I had to do it all over again and knowing we were going to the islands I would have borrowed a friends YoYo setup and done that most of the day.

17. Mecca Fisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +33
    Boat:
    None
    who was capt yesterday on the San Diego?

San Diego 3/4 Day 38ppl 325 Yellowfin Tuna, 50 Yellowtail

they killed it! i think thats the most ppl/fish ratio all season.

18. dlund82

dlund82 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I just saw that report, crazy.

19. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,605
    Not sure but I think it might have been the owner, he does Tuesday-Saturday I believe. That is an amazing ratio though, I bet the people on that boat were smoked after that.

20. Mecca Fisher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +33
    Boat:
    None
    ur right. i think it was Ryan Bostian. he's a good capt. must have seen the sun catch and wanted to make a come back. actually yesterday was good for all fleets.

imma still go for a big LJ yellowtail off my yak this weekend hopefully.