San Diego Bay 4/28 Bass Grand Slam (pics)

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by facedownbassup, Apr 28, 2012.

1. facedownbassup

facedownbassup New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Wow what a day!

Arrived at Seaforth Coronado at 8 am and were the first ones there. Hopped on a boat for a full day with hopes of catching some better grade spotties. Made it to our first spot at around 8:30 and immediately started hookin up on SBB. We had almost 25 fish by 9:40. Not the quality we were looking for tho. Most fish were between 8-12 inches with a few 13's and mega dinks mixed. Moved over to the next spot and finally started gettin into a little better quality of fish. First came this

Solid 13inch fish
    IMG_0619.jpg

Then i hooked up on this:

15inch chunk

IMG_0620.jpg

Check that belly
    IMG_0621.jpg

Moved a little and found a nice spot where the wind was blowing bait into the corner of a cove. Caught a few more clones as well as a couple calico's and a barely legal sandbass. Then my friend Wyatt hooks up on something a little bit bigger

WSB!
    IMG_0622.jpg

not a legal one tho, probably around 24-26 inches so we carefully let him go. Cruised up to some boat docks in hopes of catching a few better bay bass. Bite was a little slower here but the quality definitely improved. Caught a couple like this:

13 inches
    IMG_0626.jpg

After a few more fish i get slammed on the toast big hammer. Finally the quality we were looking for and my biggest bass of the year!

IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg

Beautiful fish

IMG_0623.jpg

Tried to get a measurement but she wasn't havin it. Looked to be around 17-18 inches and weighed somewhere between 2-3 lbs on my extremely inaccurate spring scale. Picked away at a few more fish until the tide went slack. Made a move to another area closer to home. Got slow for a while but we managed to get into another short flurry before we had to bring the boat in at 6:30. Had a couple doubles

IMG_0628.jpg

and a suprise

IMG_0627.jpg

Great day on the water. Lost count of our fish but figured we were somehere around 75 for the three us. Also check out <a class="postlink" href="http://nctoadslayerz.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://nctoadslayerz.blogspot.com/</a> if you wanna scope some older video's and pics.

Tight Lines 8)

P.S. Can someone help me make it so the pictures show up in the post. Thanks!

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,386
    Way to go on the great session! When you load pics in photobucket you get a few links to choose from. Copy the one with the "[​IMG]

3. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    I fixed it.

When you are in photobucket looking at the photo you want to upload, there is a box on the right hand side that says links. The bottom option says "img code" If you click on that it will automatically copy it to the clipboard and you can paste that into your post. It will already contain the img tags

Nice post and way to go making good use of the rental boat. Looks like you got your moneys worth

mick

4. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,561
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Sweet! That's one of things I love about the Bay -- variety.

5. ReedViaNorCal

ReedViaNorCal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice fish. Thanks for the report.

6. Dakinespot

Dakinespot Active Member

Middle of No Where...Surrounded by Pelagics..
    Ratings:
    +1
    Great Report...Kudos on the WSB ...Thanks

7. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    You said the YFC was the surprise and not the WSB. You'll fill the boat with YFC's long before you catch another WSB in the bay. Nicely done.

mick

8. facedownbassup

Ratings:
    +1
    Very true. Although i don't catch many YFC's on swimbaits under docks do you?

Either way they were both welcomed suprises

9. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    I get quite a few back in the area where you caught that one. Mostly when I'm flyfishing. The cool thing about fishing the bay is there are many surprises. You never know what's going to be on the end of the line. I fished Saturday and it was the first trip in a long time where we only caught SBB. That was a surprise too.

mike

10. facedownbassup

Ratings:
    +1
    Yup i agree. Especially in the Big Bay. Its definitely a rarity to only come back with SBB

11. DonSeedless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +59
    nice spotts!an cool variety!we were under that dock in the evening :mrgreen:

Im still tryn to get a 3# spott :evil: