San Diego Bay Fishing: I Can’t Stop Using This Lure!

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by Pourboy, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933

Hey all!
    Headed out on the big bay last Saturday for an awesome tide. Launched from Tidelands Park at dawn and on the second cast it was on! I really wanted to try some lures that I haven’t tried on the big bay so I went out in the tube with limited lures and the second cast with my Rooster Tail I hooked up on the first spotty of the day. No monster but it was fun. On 4lb test anything is fun! A few minutes later I got one on the blade and then…crickets. I did not want to waste this great tide so I tied on a 3” Gulp Minnow on a 1/8 oz head and the action would not stop for over 5 hours! Now I ended up with 32 spotties and 2 corvina and could have gotten a lot more I think. But after working close to 80 hours that week and only getting 4 hours sleep I was done.

Oh! By the way the bait that never lets me down on the bays is the 3” Gulp Minnow on a 1/8 oz. head (sizes and styles may vary due to conditions)

I did have a couple beers on the water and had a great time not only fishing but making a fun video. Actually I did a live video on instagram for the first time and caught 5 fish live in 18 minutes too with a beer review!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/ChNV0ZrJQeH/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Anyway it was a super great relaxing day on the water that I needed after a lot of work. If you want more details or to see the fishing check out the video on the YouTube channel!
    Cheers!
    Chris

View attachment 182668

2. MisterT

MisterT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +265
    Name:
    "T"
    Quite the fishing session for you. :emoji_slight_smile: Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933
    Thanks! Super fun day on the bay!

4. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,695
    Great day for you congratulations, when I first read the rooster tail I was hoping that was the lure seeing I have a bunch that I haven’t used since my early Trout days, thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933
    Tried it for a while and got the one but no more on that. I have gotten others on that but the conditions have to be just right. Low tide when the eel grass is only a couple feet underwater.

6. Midnightpass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,917
    Nice fishing and video...And I'll have to give that IPA a try...
    Butch

7. Pourboy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +933
    Thanks for watching and glad you enjoyed it!

8. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,120
    DBD0D160-2AC7-4CA9-A0CB-BBB6E126E38F.jpeg The idea behind using a 5 inch Swimbait is not catching as many undersized Bass. They are much less robust, and injure easily. The 3 inch baits get sucked deep all the time, just makes it tougher to get out. I fish a Jighead with the barb pinched down to make it easier to get the Lure back without damage to Fish or Lure. With Zman Baits you can get 40-60 fish on one Body if you can keep the Bass away from Pilings, Rocks. I like the 5 inch Streakz in various colors.