San Diego Bay Slay 7/31

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by tommygunzzslayer, Jul 31, 2020.

1. tommygunzzslayer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +531
    What's going on on SD Fam!

I hope everyone is having a great day! I wanted to provide a report for today, July 31, for my kayak fishing session in San Diego Bay.

I launched out of McCall Street as usual, around 5:45 this morning and fished the incoming tide. Fishing was great right from the start. Already had a plan in mind of targeting some deep and thiccccc spotties/sandies to get my rod hella bent. I got to about 40-60 feet of water and began searching for anything on my fish finder including rocks, beds, dropoffs, etc. Found some clam beds in about 55 feet of water and the elusive Spotties and Sandbass wanted the Deception jig! Some rather large units I must say. Stayed until around 10 this morning and left them biting, finished with around 14-15 mixed bags of Spotties, Sandys, and little bitty Calico, I guess Trifecta? Lol

On a side note, I hope everyone is safe during these times! 2020 has been quite the year for me, the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. After being laid-off from my job, as a result of COVID, I've had enough time to pursue something I've always wanted to do. I created my own fishing brand "Fishforia" (Fish & Euphoria). I wanted to utilize a combination of skills from my degree and local fishing knowledge (SD born and raised). Fishforia encompasses aspects of localism, sustainability, and versatility. I would really appreciate it if you checked out my brand via Instagram (@fishforia_co) and youtube (@Fishforia).

I honestly appreciate all the love and knowledge this forum has provided me throughout these past years! I hope everyone has a great day, weekend, and month!

Thanks again SDFISH fam!

-Tommy
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.41.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.41.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.44.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 1.42.38 PM.png

• Like Like x 23
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,042
    Jesus, get Tom Brady out there and he could throw perfect spirals with those football spotties lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. xman

xman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Those are some toad bass. Nice job.

one question. How do you identify the clam beds on your electronics?

4. FOE_RUNNER

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,012
    Phatties! Nice! Keep em coming!

5. Moseley

Moseley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Those look a little too inflated for Brady.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. tommygunzzslayer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +531
    I combine my traditional sonar with a down scan. The down scan allows me to identify bottom topography much more than my traditional sonar can. I paddle and look for rocky-like structure on the bottom with very low-lying needle-like shapes, on my DS. Then, I will refer back to the traditional sonar and the beds appear as a continuous pattern of jagged white dots at the very bottom (with my settings). If those two criteria check out, ill drop a pin on the GPS, and fish it. Not all beds produce bass, but 80-90% of my GPS pins get hit on the first drop, just takes time to find them. On my next outing, I will post a photo of the sonar to better illustrate what I am talking about.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. xman

xman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72
    thanks for the info. I’m hitting the bay tomorrow so I’ll check it out.

8. tommygunzzslayer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +531
    good luck :emoji_thumbsup:

9. scisports

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,688
    Great outing, and awesome you’re making lemonade out of lemons and pursuing your passion! I will make sure I subscribe!

Would certainly enjoy your sonar tricks, haven’t graduated to that level yet.