San Diego Bay Squirt (rev B)

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by Fomen, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    After some R&D with the original Bay Squirt, I am introducing revision B. Although the first version looked cool, functionally, it was a failure! There was too much bulk in the body to effectively insert a hook- even a wide gap hook. I found myself trying to fabricate some sort new, custom hook to accommodate the bait instead of designing the bait around a universal hook. The reason I did this was because it's a somewhat laborious process to fabricate a new lure. I don't have a knowledge of CAD and I don't have a 3D printer or a milling machine. When I make a lure, it's done OLD SCHOOL. I use sculpey clay to sculpt a prototype, and pour a RTV silicone mold around it. I'm pretty anal about attention to detail. I try to merge aesthetics with functionality. My first attempt was just aesthetics. This revision successfully combined the best of both worlds.

Here they are:

IMG_20150124_131242.jpg

IMG_20150124_131348.jpg

Here are the dimensions:

IMG_20150124_131524.jpg

IMG_20150124_131643.jpg

Here is the weedless hook set-up where this could be fished in the bay, the kelp, or even in freshwater cover.

IMG_20150124_133226.jpg

IMG_20150124_133232.jpg

So here are the upgrades to this lure. I made the main body thinner, and added a recessed cavity running up the length of the body for the hook to rest in. This makes the lure absolutely weedless, but if a fish hits the lure, the hook will be completely exposed for max hook set. I added texture to the main body for aesthetics, mouth feel (for the fish), and lots of space to hold your favorite fish attractant.
    The outside tentacles on the bait have dimples on them for holding attractant, and I counter-angled the tip from the main body as it makes it look like an octopus looks as it's fleeing from a predator. If you've even seen an octopus that is confronted by a predator, it will always face the predator, and move backwards away from it. It's legs will look like they roll (like when a caterpillar walks). That's exactly what I designed these to do when fished.
    The front legs are designed to be split with a razor or sharp knife before fishing it. I dimpled the legs as well as placing multiple textural creases on them. This not only creates pockets for attractant, but it also gives it a more fluid movement in the water.
    The pearlescent portion of the 2 tone lures have blue, strontium illuminate powder added to them. They glow a vibrant blue when charged with a light, and they glow for a long time!
    I plan on making another RTV silicone mold for them. When I mix the RTV silicone I will add 30% odorless mineral spirits. The reason I will do this is because this will enable me to make an exact replica, but 20% smaller. Over the course of week following making the mold, the odorless mineral spirits will evaporate. I want to get the lure down to about 3.5" so I can have 2 sizes.

So there they are. The new, improved San Diego Bay Squirts. I hope you enjoyed this post.

#1 Fomen, Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Killer!!! Nice work

3. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Thank you sir! I forgot to mention that I also added microballoons to the plastic, so they float. Now the hook will definitely make them sink, but the legs will float and sway in the current independent of the body.

4. dillpick

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +509
    Boat:
    nothing special
    great work dude i see u got some talent for sure , keep it up ill grab some if u can do a ghostshrimp pattern i believe a 3.5" would be awesome idea!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Ghost Shrimp pattern...... Like a translucent pink/orange color? I can do that! I haven't had a chance to make a new silicone mold for downsizing yet, but I definitely will. I can make just about any color you want. I just made some "Halloween" pattern over the weekend. I also made "Razor Clam", "Watermelon", and a VERY dark red color I like to call "Redrum".

Don't be intimidated by the size of these though. Even though they are 5" long, the plastic is very soft and supple. Even smaller spotties and sandies could suck this thing into their mouths no problem. With the soft textured mouth feel, in conjunction with the fish attractant nestling in all the nooks and crannies of the lure, the fish won't let go. I assure you.

I'm also working with a buddy of mine who is a glass blower. We are going to start making glass egg sinkers in various weights. The beauty of the glass egg sinkers is they are almost as heavy as the lead ones, but they are virtually invisible under water. If you fish this lure Carolina Style, with a 24-30" leader behind a glass fishing weight, it is DEADLY!

Here's a picture of a glass sinker next to a comparable lead sinker under water.

Glass sinker.JPG

6. DCFISH

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I'll also be interested in a few as well!!! That glass egg sinker is cool and genius!!

7. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Anyone who wants some, please let me know. I will make them in whatever colors you like. I'll even let you swing by my house and we can pour some up together. It will really make you appreciate the process and inspire you to get into making some home made lures yourself. If you are interested, contact me at trinityjig@gmail.com .

8. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,473
    That's rad right there. I'll be taking you up on that offer. This new version of yours clearly shows craft and dedication. Diggin it. Let get some pics of those things slayin it! I'll be in touch....

Jah

9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    My next fishing trip isn't scheduled until the 15th, so if you guys want some before hand let me know. We will work something out. Then YOU can also take some picks of the Bay Squirts RIPPIN LIPS!

10. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I started the process of "shrinking" down the lure. This process is a bit time consuming because of the waiting process. I have to take an epoxy resin master, and create a new silicone mold from it. When I mix the silicone, the normal process is 10:1 silicone to catalyst (which starts the curing process). When you shrink a mold, you follow the same process, except you add a part C component- which is odorless mineral spirits. You add this 1:3 of the volume by weight. The mold will be pretty soft at the end of the curing process (which is about 24 hours). Once the wait for the cure is over, I demold the silicone, and I have to let it air dry for at least 7 days. I'm going to go 8 days just to be cure. During this time, the mineral spirits will evaporate off, and the mold will shrink down (usually between 15-20%), and it will tighten up. If my first lure started out at 5.25", at a shrink rate of 15-20%, this should put the new lure at between 4.72" and 4.15". I'm going to cut it down the middle and say 4.5". Then I will have to repeat the process again to get it down to 3.5". So I will probably offer 3 sizes of the lure. Waiting is HARD!

11. Stix15

Stix15 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    These are pretty awesome! I'd love to give them a whirl and see what bites. Let me know if you have some you would like to be demo'd. Also, question about the glass weight...i see that they are harder to see in the water which is obvious, but isn't the weight supposed to be on the bottom and not in the water column? Just thinking how much better the glass would be? Guessing it would cost more to make the glass ones instead of lead or another metal. Just curious your theory behind that. As you can tell I'm interested!:)

12. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I'm thinking the glass picture is for demonstration purposes only. It's equivalent to placing the 2 weights in front of a blank canvas. Depending on the bottom structure, it might not have been advantageous to show the 2 weights side by side on the bottom as they may have buried themselves into the mud or sand.

I saw a video on here of a guy with a underwater camera he had connected to his fishing line in Mission bay. From the surface, the water looks murky and cloudy. But underneath, the clarity was surprising. Visibility was 6-8 feet, and a dark, lead weight would have been obvious and looked awkward and unnatural in these conditions. A glass weight would be much stealthier. I just think it would increase the chances of the fish biting.

I'm talking to my buddy now about the glass weights. He is an expert in glass, and he seems to think that the pay out for the process wouldn't match the work involved. You can't just pour liquid glass, and then you're ready to go. You need very specific molds to contain the hot glass. The glass is about 2000 degrees, so you need a mold made of a high temp metal or ceramic that won't warp or melt. Then the glass needs to be annealed for at least 6 hours after molding in order for it to become rock hard. The annealing oven starts at 1200 degrees, then steps down to about 200 degrees over several hours. This tempers the glass. Running an annealing oven is VERY expensive!

I'm looking into buying some crystal clear marbles and seeing if I can drill through them with a diamond, carbide drill bit. If it takes too long to drill through the glass, or if the bits don't last long, it isn't worth it. I will just buy them online.

As far as demo-ing the bait, I'm trying to recoup the cost of the materials at this point. RTV silicone and casting resins are VERY expensive. If you want to buy one from me, I will gladly get one into your hands. We can set something up. I'm not charging an arm and a leg for them. I'm asking $2.75 for solid colored, and $3.00 for 2 toned. If people really like them, I will buy the necessary materials to ramp up production. This will drive down the cost. But for now, I'm a 1 man show, with limited materials and molds.

13. Stix15

Stix15 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    That is a good idea about the glass weights, but that's what I was curious about was the cost/ production value, although when you first mentioned it i went, "Now why didn't I think of that," but as you said it might not be possible. I have no problem paying for some of those, I mean I am going to pay for my other plastics anyway, and I love the idea you have going with this one, and would love to have a couple in my tackle box, even if they don't catch any fish they will be great conversation starters. ;) Hope to see more posts from you about all of this, very interesting stuff.

14. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Oh, they WILL catch fish my friend. That is a PROMISE! Shoot me over an email at trinityjig@gmail.com We will figure out what colors you want and how many.

Cheers.

15. Stix15

Stix15 Active Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I do not doubt they will catch fish. Just a little angler to angler jab;).

16. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    That's cool Scott

17. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Thank you sir. That means a lot coming from a man with your fabrication skills.

18. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,989
    Let's hope I have a some skills, cause I make airplane engines now.

19. kobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +899
    Great job. Keep up the good work.

20. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Scott (Fishtricks)- I am genuinely happy for you with where you've gone in your career. I remember when you were just "tinkering" with CAD and milling machines. I want to say it started at community college, but I might be mistaken. Any way, now it sounds like you're a full blown machinist. Congratulations! You took your creativity and passion and turned it into a career. I've heard it said that it isn't really considered "work" if you love what you do. Again- congrats!