San Diego Bay Squirt (rev B)

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by Fomen, Jan 24, 2015.

1. kobra

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +923

Well said!!! Congrats Scott.

2. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,975
    Yeah SDCC, and thank you Sirs

3. buddha

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +464
    I would like them in browns, green, or orange or clam colored. What will you charge for them and what size hooks or jig heads do you recommend for them?

4. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I have 3 sizes now. I have a 5.25", 4.75", and a 4.25". Now don't view these like you view a 4" or 5" swimbait. I'm pouring them with super soft plastic, so there is a LOT of action in the legs. I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw them in the water. The action is incredible. The body itself is soft and pliable, but the legs are thin, soft, and flexible. So even though the overall bait is 4.25", the body is only about 3". If a fish hits it, the entire lure will get sucked into it's mouth. It's equivalent to fishing with a 3.5" lure.

As far as colors, I can customize whatever color you want- even 2 tones. I've started experimenting with opaque colors with vibrant color strips inside that are visible thru the body of the lure. They look AWESOME! I will post some up.

If you want to buy some, I will work something out with you. At this point, it's a labor of love, so my profit margin is very low. However, I plan on buying some more RTV silicone, and pouring a production mold with 4 cavities in it instead of one. That will exponentially increase my production, then I can throw out some definitive pricing.

As far as fishing them, I recommend Carolina Weedless style, with an egg sinker and a 30" leader. You will see when you pull them through the water that the action is better with soft long pulls, and not stiff jerks. If you want to use a jig head with them, knock yourself out. Let me know how it words. If it works well, I will try to fabricate a custom mold to use with them.

Shoot me over an email (trinityjig@gmail.com) if you think you might want to buy some to try in the bay.

Scott

5. buddha

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +464
    What size hooks do you recommend for them?

6. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Here are some of the new colors I have. They are:
    1. Scared Squid

IMG_20150304_171935_1_1.jpg
    2. Ghost Shrimp

IMG_20150304_171923_1_1.jpg

3. Neon Smoke

IMG_20150304_171947_1_1.jpg

All 3 side by side

IMG_20150304_171958_1_1.jpg

The blue eyes and blue strips in the body of the Neon Smoke colored lure glow bright blue when charged with a light.

I recommend using a Carolina Rig with an egg sinker and a 30" leader. Use 3/0 or 4/0 twist luck hooks (unweighted). You want the lures to slowly float up off the bottom. I've never fished them with Jig heads, but feel free to try it out if you feel so inclined.

7. Fishtricks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,975
    You should drop shot those on the pipe.

8. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    Looks prime for a night bite at the Islands or the Zuniga Jetty at night.

9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Lawman: Bill, do you want some? Let me know. I'll make them in whatever color you want, and whatever size.

Scott: I sold my boat at the end of 2013. Hopefully I will be getting a kayak again soon (Hobie PA). Then I will hit some nice inshore spots and have some nice bay sessions.

10. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    To Fomen: I would be delighted to test them in the dark at the Islands. Darker colors preferred.

11. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Do you want them to glow? I have blue and green glow powder. I can even dust them with the powder that gives them a very natural luminescence- like you would see in nature when there's a critter moving in a red tide. I can make them jet black if you want. I have them in 5.25", 4.75", and 4.25" models. I can make them 2 colors for you if you want. I can make them translucent with the glowing strips inside. Do you want them super soft, soft, medium, or stiff? The stiffer the plastic, the less action they will have. Let me know what you want Mr lawman, and I will pour them up for you.

12. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    Thanks Scott: Lets try some luminescence in soft plastic in colors you feel would be good at night. typically I use greens Orange and Root-beer colors.Whatever you think would work at night I will test drive it.
    619-212-1985

13. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    You got it. I will pour some up this weekend for you. All you will need is a headlamp to charge those bad boys up prior to each cast. What sizes Bill? Or do you want a variety? I have 5.25", 4.75" and 4.25". The legs are very soft and pliable, so the 5.25" isn't like tossing a 5" swimbait that is much more rigid. The calico's you are targeting will have no problem sucking the entire lure into their mouths. I will PM you or text you pictures when done, then once they get your stamp of approval, we will get them over to you.

14. Saltandlead

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +220
    I'd imagine the 5.25" is best for quality Island calico bass. I would like to try these out for bass and bottom dwellers, how does pickup work? Can you mimic popular swimbait colors? Big Hammer's 'Red Calico Hunter' is my confidence color.

15. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I can mimic ANY color or pattern you want! Send me a picture of the pattern and I will try my best to replicate it. Pick up is fine. They will DESTROY bottom dwellers as that is why I designed them. I actually designed them around a fishing system that I haven't released pictures of yet. A few years back I posted a thread called "We Found the Land of the Giants", where we limited out on bottom fish. I posted a bunch of pictures showing the epic harvest and proving the concept of the jig. I never showed a picture of the jig though. That was my first trip out using it. Since then, I have fine tuned the jig, and it if functionally flawless. I will post pictures of it soon. If you want some lures, and come to pick them up I will show it to you. The concept is self explanatory once you see it.

16. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    To Scott: I plan to test drive your baits on May 1st in the dark at the Coronado Islands. I can pick them up. 619-212-1985

17. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I have to be honest with you Bill, I haven't ever fished the salt water at night (with the exception of minimal exposure during grey light, or deeper than the light can penetrate when targeting rockfish). I'm not sure if color makes a difference, but if you think darker colors are more productive at night, and seeing as how you have exponentially more experience in these conditions, I will pour them up in dark colors. I will "dust" them with glow powder, to give them a very natural looking bio luminescence. I will call you to come and pick them up when they are ready. I'm going to pour them up in the 5.25" models for you. Like I said, they are very soft, and flexible, so even a smaller calico would have no problem sucking them down. I will use the colors you suggested, but make them darker. Are the green/orange/rootbeer colors you use a tri-colored pattern, or are they solid?

#37 Fomen, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  18. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    I poured up your color (Red Calico). Send me your phone number to trinityjig@gmail.com and I will call you the set up a time for pick up. They came out really nice.

19. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Calico red.jpg Here is the "Calico Red" color pattern (see Calico red Big Hammer Swimbait)

#39 Fomen, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  20. Saltandlead

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +220
    Scott delivered the baits today and they look fantastic! Sits really well on an Owner Sled. Going to flip some docks this weekend around one of the bays. It will get a proper calico/lingcod test when I get down to the islands next.
    480bf971f4c6ea9b6634ce5309ba9a17.jpg

f82bab270c260dfdd7621c263cb444da.jpg

I'm loaded up!
    38ca5701fb6d7887ed04a2e734e6bc29.jpg