San Diego Bay Squirt (rev B)

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by Fomen, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Please tell me you tested them in the pool and saw how good the legs kick.

Now GO RIP LIPS MY FRIEND!

2. BaSSlayer

BaSSlayer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Boat:
    Tube
    Wow they all look great I'll take any of those colors. Well done sir

3. Saltandlead

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +221
    Well, I've been using them as a jig trailer for calicos and spotties for a few weeks now. They work fantastic on a jig, I get bit far more often than when I use a swimbait trailer. Be ready for bites on the fall when fishing the kelp!

I haven't used them on their own but it out fishes grubs and swimbaits as a trailer. Holds scent really well, too. I got bit alot by spotties but the jig was just a bit too large for them to really eat the hook.

Greg Hackney Hack Attack jig + Bay Squirt = $$$ combo.
    e1dbb0132f35c991e5fe09c846a5317d.jpg

4. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear my friend! I just shrunk down the mold again. I now have the Bay Squirt in a 3 3/4" model. So here are the sizes: 5 1/4", 4 3/4", 4 1/4", and 3 3/4". I also order up some new lure dyes. I'm slowly but surely building my inventory. If you want any more, let me know what sizes and colors you want. My investment in materials depends solely on the success and popularity of the lures. And these two factors depend solely on you guys getting out there and fishing them. I'm getting ready to start making some custom "stand up" style jig heads with twist lock hooks. That way, not only will they be weedless, but they will always keep the tentacles of the lures facing upwards towards the water column where they can freely move with the current or with jigging motion. Should be a DEADLY combination.

If anyone else wants any, let me know. I will try to replicate whatever color patterns you choose.

I also changed to a different lure dye, so bleeding of colors has all but vanished.

5. metalman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    Solved an problem I've been thinking about! Lead is hard on mono. A fish, after taking the bait (whatever it might be)feels the weight, to much, when Carolina rigged. I have been considering how to make inserts that are (glass or?) much less friction, and less prone to affecting the fish after the bite.

Glass weights solves that. When will you have some surf sizes? 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, egg sinkers. My wish list!lol

6. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Unfortunately I don't make the glass weights. I have a buddy who is a glass blower. He said the process would be too expensive and inefficient to make them on a small scale. You would need some sort of 2 piece injection mold made out of a high temp resistant metal (like bronze), then you would need to anneal them for 6-8 hours afterwards to harden them. I thought about buying some gigantic, clear glass marbles and drilling holes through them. It can be done, but it's a laborious, slow, time consuming process. You need a special drill bit that is impregnated with diamond dust. If you have a drill press at home, and you want to try it and see if it can be done, then please let me know. Even if you use smaller marbles, you can stack them together. They will actually make a nice clicking noise under water that will attract some attention from fish.

If you're interested in buying some, they can be found online. Here's one site:

http://www.americanbandit.com/cart/...oducts_id=28&zenid=n3727udibrugirqeq0lebdve43

They have various sizes. They are bigger than their equivalent counterparts made from lead, but you definitely get the element of surprise with them. They disappear under water. However, fish hunt with a lateral line as well as with their eyes. They can sense the shape and size of something that's different in density of the surrounding water. So is it REALLY invisible? Not sure. But you are indeed eliminating one of the fish's hunting sensory's that could cause it to be skeptical by using it.

#46 Fomen, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016