San Diego Bay Squirts

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by Fomen, May 4, 2014.

1. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    What the heck is a San Diego bay Squirt? A San Diego Bay Squirt is my new prototype plastic for fishing the bay. Lots of guys fish swimbaits and curly tail grubs soaked in fish attractant. To me, those are BORING! Pin on a lead head, cast it out, give it a few jigs, and hopefully you will catch the attention of some unsuspecting fish. But lets be real...... Tell me what in nature actually looks like a swimbait being jigged off the bottom? I can understand if you're strictly casting and retrieving the swimbait, but even then it doesn't have a lifelike presentation. If you watch a baitfish, they dart, then glide. They don't swim erratically, and they don't swim in a straight line. That's why Shimano Waxwings are so effective. They better mimic the movements of a baitfish.

This lure is designed to replicate an octopus or a squid. They are made of Alumisol with a nice portion of microballoons mixed in for buoyancy. I wanted them to float. They are designed to be fished Carolina style, with a 22-24" flourocarbon leader. I made my own stinger hooks with 40# braid doubled up, twisted together, and set with super glue so they never come apart. They are attached to the hook with a Snell knot, and looped through the stainless steel ring. Then the ring is affixed to the lure with a twist-lock. The hook is simply held in place by the tension between the ring and the split between the center plastic legs. The idea is this- the fish hits the lure and gets hooked. As it shakes it's head the hook comes loose from the plastic. Since the braid going to the hook and the flourocarbon leader will be 180 degrees from each other on the steel ring, under tension of the fish, there is no pressure whatsoever on the twist lock. The steel ring is the fulcrum of the rigging design. That being the case, the lure should last a really long time (much, much longer than it would if the hook were actually piercing through the meat of the lure). It's similar to the concept of the stinger hooks used on butterfly jigs.

The "legs" are dimpled to hold Uni Butter. I also added strontium illuminate powder for those night sessions. I got the powder from Glo Nation. They have about 10 different colors ranging from white, to green, to red, to blue. They can stand up to extreme heats, so adding the powder to molten Alumisol isn't a problem. The powder can be charged to a bright glow with a LED headlamp, and will glow for at least 12-15 minutes.

As the lure is cast out, and the weight pulls it to the bottom, the lure is retrieved in small jerking motions. This mimics a squid propelling itself backwards, or an octopus doing the same. Since the lure floats, as it's jerked it shoots towards the bottom, then slowly starts a horizontal ascent back to the surface. That way the lure never gets buried in the sediment on the bottom. Also, the little legs flop around lite the tentacles of a squid or octopus. But you guys aren't dummies... You can look at it and figure out the concept.

I know what you're thinking.... There aren't any squid in the bay. You are right. The design of this lure is 2 fold, and I've yet to post up my other lure that they are used in conjunction with.

I would encourage anyone on here to think outside of the box. Be creative and HAVE FUN! I never knew I was good at sculpting until I started making my own lures. Now I have several homemade lures that I have created from scratch out of sculpey clay, and followed the process of making RTV silicone molds. Every time I show them to someone, they always say the same thing- "YOU MADE THOSE!?!"

CIMG5787_zpsc0abd49d.jpg

CIMG5790_zpse9cd657b.jpg

CIMG5786_zps14988bf0.jpg

CIMG5791_zps595a347b.jpg

CIMG5792_zpsa02edfbf.jpg

CIMG5793_zpsa0012d17.jpg

[/b]

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Creative! It looks like a cartoon alien, but I'm sure it gets em

3. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,648
    Boat:
    Tube
    Very cool I like it. Any and every advantage over the "other guy" next to you is key.

4. Finadic

Finadic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Nice Idea !
    How do we get a couple to fish around the North County lagoons, beaches and kelps?
    ( never know) ; might be the Next biggest thing. I'm hoping to try some before shimano,megabait,etc...get there eyes on this idea!

5. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    PM sent

6. Finadic

Finadic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5
    BACK AT YA'

7. Lawman

Lawman Attorney at Law
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +415
    Boat:
    CC
    Interesting concept. I see potential for use at night.

8. Saltandlead

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +221
    Never saw this, but looks pretty interesting. Have you or do you plan to produce many? I'd like to try it out around the kelp.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Sorry for the late reply. After some R&D, the concept needs some tweaking. The lure itself looks nice, but I have to come up with a different way to integrate a hook. Currently the hook rolls from side to side, so you miss allot of strikes. I have a buddy who fished it for me in the bay. He said it continuously got slammed, but he couldn't get the hook to set. I need to go back to the drawing board with it. This time, instead of fabricating a lure first, and trying to match it with a hook- I will find a good hook and create a lure around it. It will look very similar. Like I said, I just need to figure out a way to prevent the hook from rolling to one side or the other. It needs to stay perpendicular to the shape of the squid lure. It also needs to be light enough that it allows the lure to "hover" and not sink, but strong enough to not snap if you hook into something sizable. I'll post pictures when I have a new prototype.

10. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,261
    If I was fishing it I would use a 5/0 EWG hook or a 3/0 worm hook which is flat and sits closer to the body of the bait. That would keep the kook from moving and eliminate the harness. I'll buy some from you and try out and let you how it goes.

11. Marcus Reichert

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +399
    It looks like a plastic version of a Shimano Lucanus Jig. Looks like it would work awesome though, good luck man.

12. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Trust me, I've experimented with every conceivable configuration. The trouble is there's too much mass on the body of the lure to get a hook through. I need to sculpt a new prototype around a weedless hook configuration. Trial and error is the key to successful fabrication. No one ever got it right the very first time. I have some ideas already. I'm going to make the diameter of the lure body smaller, with a channel on the top and bottom for a Texas rigged hook to set in. I also plan on flattening out the point on the hood of the squid so a twist lock mechanism can be inserted. I will still incorporate the same basic shape/principles with the eyes and the legs. To be honest, the reason I even designed this lure was to be fished in conjunction with a home made, deep water, rockfishing system that is SUPER effective. Fortunately, it can be used in the bay and kelp as well. Maybe this weekend I will sit down and sculpt up a new lure. I wouldn't sell you any right now, because I would feel bad about passing on a lure that doesn't work as well as you think it will. The concept is great, and the aesthetics are great..... It's the most important step (the functionality) that is the problem now.

13. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    So, after a long sabbatical, I went back to the drawing board with the "Bay Squirt". I applied the flaws of the original but stayed true to the concept of the lure. I sculpted up a new prototype, and the RTV silicone mold is in the process of curing around it now. The silicone takes 24 hours to fully cure. I will pour several epoxy resin lures to have in case I even need to pour a new silicone mold, or I want to pour one with multiple cavities in it. I will post up pics as soon as I have everything set up. These should KILL IT in the bay, and in the kelp. To be continued.......

14. Marcus Reichert

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +399
    Awesome dude. Please post a pic of the giant calico that crushes it.

15. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I will post a pic of the lure tonight. I poured up a plastic one..... I have to admit...... It looks AWESOME!!!!!!