San Diego Full Day 9/1/21 “Change Your Bait Change Your Luck”

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by OG MUDBONE, Sep 2, 2021.

1. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    On this trip we had Booger behind the wheel. Made the trek to the Coronados and spent a LOT of time looking around for the yellows. Fishing conditions were not ideal. Water temps have dropped drastically over the last week. We had slick calm water, no current, and we couldn’t even get the chum going because the dogs were working us hard everywhere we went.

The first yellow wasn’t landed until the afternoon. Dogs took over again. The Grande dropped us off a care package of fresh dead squid, and the writing was on the wall. We moved to an area to play with some bottom critters.

Since most everyone was fishing the squid we were able to keep the chum going strong, and I had a feeling the yellows would make a showing. I kept at it with the flyline, over and over and over with fresh baits until it finally happens, get picked up and put it in gear and line is peeling… it’s the right kind. Land the fish and go back to the tank and everyone’s flylining now lol.

Kept working at it hard and was able to land 2 more. Also had one more pickup but I put the reel into gear too soon. The dogs once again took over and that was all she wrote, only 8 yellows landed this trip.

I titled the report as so because I felt that was the difference this trip, working hard at it, being persistent, and being willing to visit the bait tank a bajillion times. Change your bait, change your luck.

219E9C62-3E86-4137-BCC4-0B6260621F74.jpeg CE199FE7-8DFC-4EF6-BEC8-E0BC29EB90AE.jpeg FA542523-C656-4CF0-AACF-4750248151BD.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  2. oldfogey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,187
    Name:
    Mike
    :emoji_thumbsup:

3. SonyCbad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +744
    Way to stick with the game plan man. Persistence paid off. Hope those yellows stick around, also hope the offshore bite picks back up again! I kind of like the full day rotations, offshore/islands.

Hard to get a reservation on the San Diego when you can only fish weekends. Was able to get one for early Oct. Hoping for another good post season run. It should be playoffs any day now!

4. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,131
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Great work Mark !
    Way to stay with it - people tend to forget fish eat fish....

Keep an eye out daily for when they flip trips between offshore and islands.
    Between Monday and October, they'll be sure to change targets as the conditions allow.

5. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    If we can get a string of warm weather and less overcast days things can change for the better very quick. I also enjoy mixing it up and having a more chill and relaxing day at the islands from time to time, but at the moment I’m itching for some more bft. Early Oct is typically money for yft, and quality ones at that. Hopefully we get a good crack at them this season. Good luck on your trip man!

6. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    Yep, I’m hoping the offshore bite on the local banks gets more consistent. Keeping my fingers crossed that it’s right around the corner.