San Diego Full Day 9/8/21 Yellowfin Identifying as Bluefin

Discussion in 'Sport Boats' started by OG MUDBONE, Sep 8, 2021.

1. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    Jumped on the San Diego today in hopes of connecting with some Yellerfins. Several boats had decent success yesterday, so I was hoping we’d keep the counts trending upwards. Well that was wishful thinking. But not for a lack of effort, or fish for that matter.

Made the trek to the grounds in fairly flat calm conditions. Right away see the Liberty cutting their engines and starting chum, with fish boiling up heavy in their chum line. Good signs.

We search for our own fish and shortly stop on a good school. Same deal, had them boiling on our chum. But very tough to get them to eat a bait with a hook in it. Had to REALLY work for them. We worked this school for quite awhile, with only scraps to show for it. Man these fish were finicky. Boiling everywhere around the boat, putting on a pretty damn epic show, but very little go. I’m pretty sure these fish were trained by the Bluefin.

Had to drop down to 20lb IGFA rated fluoro and size 4 hook just to get licked. I went 3/5 on this stop, getting chewed off twice. These were nice grade fish. One of them dumped half the spool on my Saltiga 15 on the initial run before chewing me off. Also had several fish knock my baits off the hook.

Once our plunker bite fizzled we took off to search for biters. By then the wind was really blowing and making it tough to set up on the fish. Stopped on several spots of fish and couldn’t get them to stick with us. Did this until it was time to call it. We ended with 22 Yellowfin for our efforts, but had enough fish around us to fill the boat.

What worked : a rocket bait. It had to be hauling *** right out the gate or you wouldn’t get sniffed.

E3219EB4-9376-4723-83C6-9CE58393EC0B.jpeg F6169D53-D160-472E-A253-DA459F48CDDB.jpeg AC6BD87C-8E77-4772-AEAA-6770ED22C538.jpeg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    You are one fishy dude with good advice... Nice fish

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  3. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,935
    Nice Work!!! Going out soon, need to remember your tips

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Chriwilson

Chriwilson I'm your Huckleberry ...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,125
    Boat:
    Nunya
    Solid work man !
    Getting 5 to bite is a good outing, landing 60% on light line is fantastic !

What's your 20# setup if you don't mind me asking ?

Try a Zakana in 28-42g - maybe a size 2 ST-66 treble

#4 Chriwilson, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    Appreciate the kind words. Fortunately for me my dad put a rod in my hands as soon as I could walk, and I’ve never put it down

6. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    Good luck on your trip. Just note that conditions always change, even throughout the day. So keep an open mind, don’t be afraid to experiment, and fish hard/smart. And above all just have fun.

7. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    I never think about the ones I land, just the ones that get away! Tried smaller jigs throughout the day, but these fish were fickle. I’ve fished a few schools of yft like this, and sometimes there’s not a whole lot you can do. Guys even gave up trying, and went to have lunch or just sat down, while fish were blowing up 360 degrees around the boat.

My 20lb setup is a United Composites US80XF with a Saltiga 15. Such a fun combo, and that rod can punch above its weight.

8. SonyCbad

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +744
    Hell yeah! Nice job bro, looks like the footballs from last year grew up a little! Glad you got some. Guess they're learning from their blue cousins.

Just like life, sometimes gotta put in some hard work to get results. Your persistence is contagious - can't wait to get back out and grind!

9. OCLCFisherman

OCLCFisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Name:
    James
    Its tough when they're extremely picky to the point of using small flouro and hooks. Went on the Sea Watch a couple weeks ago and it was rough fishing the pens boat ended up skunking. 20# leader with size 4 hooks. As a boat had 4 hook ups. 2 lost to dogs and 2 chewed off. It's that rock and hard place. Either try to muscle em in away from the tax man or be patient and end up getting chewed off or watch a seal play with your tuna. Glad you and a few others were able to get some on deck.

10. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    At least the footballs last year wanted to take a nap in the fish hold. These ones had much different plans lol. Still have time though, hoping once these fish settle in they’ll get with the program.

11. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    It certainly reaches a point of diminishing returns when you have to drop down in line and hook size. But if it’s reasonable for the size of fish targeted then I’d much rather get the bites and worry about the rest after. Dealing with those damn dogs, well that’s a different story. Not much you can do if they’re determined to steal your fish, especially if you’re the only one hooked up at the time. Interestingly enough the dogs at the Coronados the past couple trips were only interested in the sardines, not a single fish stolen. Apparently they’re craving fresh Ahi. Bummer, but one part of the many variables of fishing. Get em next time!

12. OCLCFisherman

OCLCFisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Name:
    James
    Agreed. Got the Condor on the 20th and the San Diego on the 30th. Still got some freezers to fill.
    Tight Lines

13. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    These tuna need a little pressure from the Spanish jacks, bullet/frigate tuna, pelagic bonito, skippies etc... A little competition goes a long way...

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Treble Chuck

Treble Chuck Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Name:
    Chuck
    It happened to me exactly except during the anchovie years

15. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +968
    And less pressure from the skiffs running the schools over. Not sure where these guys learned how to approach foamers, but driving your boat directly into them is just plain dumb. Over time these schools become more and more weary of boats near them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,975
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Yep, him and fishboy92 ! Fish fear them!

17. Werfless

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,313
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    There's a couple others around here too...