san diego marine reserve phone map app

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by buoy, Jan 21, 2019.

1. buoy

buoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Every time I go out to La Jolla to fish I see at least one boater fishing in the reserve. I do try to tell them on the radio but am reluctant to get close enough to talk to them. I do wish all fisherman would understand the value of the reserves for sustaining our local fishery.

I also realize that not everybody has a GPS chartplotter, although I can't imagine fishing without one. I'm assuming most everyone has an Android phone (not sure if Apple store has Locus Map app). I just discovered that the free Locus Map app in the Google Play store will allow you to put the marine reserves boundaries on your phone for free. Basically you can add tracks, routes and waypoints. This app will work offline if you open it first with connection and leave it open. I have a tracfone plan.

To view san diego marine reserve boundaries on your Android phone you will need to download the free Locus Maps app from the Google Play store.

1) Search "Locus Maps" in Google play

2) Download "Locus Maps Free-Hikng GPS Navigation and maps" Free

3) Open Locus maps and click on three stacked lines in upper left had corner next to "Locus Maps Free"

4) In middle of next window click on "more functions"

5) Click on "import" and select "remote file"
    7) Paste https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ukvduLQMMoi6UqOR3oFqAn3RCtIVQr_R/view?usp=sharing or try the unlinked URL san diego reserves.kml
    and "load"
    8) If the "remote file" doesn't work you will need to upload the kml file to your dropbox or google drive account. I used a free google drive account.

Important: Be sure to double check boundaries of reserves on Department of Fish and Game website link below. I might have mis-entered the coordinates. Also colors of the boundaries in Locus Maps do not mean anything. To find out the rules for each reserve see DFG website. I been using Locus Maps for a few months now without any malaware or virus problems, but always be vigilant for problems. Tight lines

locus google play.jpg

reserve.jpg

#1 buoy, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. agrazela

agrazela Unstable Subgenius
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,105
    Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    SeaHunt172CC Opti125
    When you say you don’t want to get too close, you mean ‘cause they might sling jigs at you, or because then you’re in the MLPA?

You are allowed to go into an MLPA, you just can’t be fishing in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. buoy

buoy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I meant I see at least one boat fishing in the reserves. I don't confront them just because there are too many unpredictable people in the world. The point of my post is to provide a tool for people to know where the reserve boundaries are with respect to their gps position.

#3 buoy, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Caballito

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +853
    Does no good to do it on the radio. If they have a VHF and are fishing in the reserve, they either know and won’t answer or they don’t know and won’t be paying attention enough to pick up.

I just cruise up and say “Don’t want you to get a really expensive ticket for fishing in the Marine Reserve, your about (insert distance) into it.” DFG sits on the bluff with binos and takes CF#’s.

I’m always waiting for someone to give me attitude.....never happens. Who wants a $400-$500 ticket? I don’t do it every time, depends on my mood and what boat/crew I see.

BTW If DFW has gone through the trouble to get the boat out and your in the MLPA you will get a ticket, same with any other infraction.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Evolved Pinhead
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +9,065
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Hobie PA-14