San Diego River?

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by KingKenny04, Apr 23, 2013.

1. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Howdy all! Been curious about fishing the San Diego River. Seen a lot of reports about it, looks fun! Unfortunately I can't seem to find any information on it through google. The results I get only seem to talk about how great the parks are without mentioning anything about fishing other than its possible. So how does one fish the river? Where do I buy permits? What stretches is it allowed on? Are there any limits as to when one is allowed to fish? Thanks!

2. CatchNRelease619

CatchNRelease619 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    You can fish almost n e part of the river
    ...theirs no fee n ur suppose to have a ca state fishin liscense.....but I dnt n I fish the river numerous times a month....hit me on a pm if u ever wanna hit the river....I kno every spot....from santee thru mission valley....n theirs no hours ikno places to camp if we really wanted.lol.

3. catchingdaily

catchingdaily Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Go YouTube and look up mreastside619 and watch his videos about fishing the river... pay close attention to detail and you will notice hyperdermic needles and staff riddled condoms floating in the water. So your best bet is to catch and release... that being said I have only heard of decent (catch and release) bass fishing there. All you need is a lisence. And the only spot I know of so far is park at best buy in mission valley and walk down the riprap on the side of the bridge to the water or the same across the street at mimis cafe restaurants...good luck... I've heard of decent fish coming out of there. And being born And raised in SD I wanna catch one

4. Snag

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Fish the river regularly, fishing there today as a matter of fact. You only need your fish license (Wal-Mart). The river does hold some big fish; pulled my PB from there in February and a couple of weeks ago one of the guys on here pulled a big Cat. Strictly CPR (Catch, Picture, Release), you don’t want to eat anything that comes out of the SD river.
    You can also park on Hazard Center Dr and walk a block, that’s where I park to avoid any issues with Best Buy. I found that the best place to fish it so far is at Mimi’s Café side that’s where I caught the most fish. But definitely watch mreaside619’s videos. There are two other spots on the Mimi’s side closer to the 163 freeway. You can also fish the Best Buy side and a couple of miles east of there by Staples just so you know it’s a crowd when there is 3 people out at these spots, that how small they are. From there you can probably get more info from CatchNRelease619 on other spots.

5. FishHeadPro

FishHeadPro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Boat:
    no
    Say bro me and my brother have been wanting to fish the river for a while now But don't know where to go where the grass isn't to high Can you put us on to game Much thanks...

6. SynapticBassin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +139
    You realize that post was 2 years old right?

7. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,689
    The MCR part was dead for me and my buddy about 2 months ago. Didn't see any bass just a huge carp.

8. Armando Castillo

Ratings:
    +0
    I plan on going to the river tomorrow.

9. SynapticBassin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +139
    Please report back

10. Armando Castillo

Ratings:
    +0
  11. Armando Castillo

Ratings:
    +0
    Had a good time. San Diego river off of Friars Rd. Most of the Shore line is covered by trees and brush. Tons of off spring. Minnows all down the bank's. In the pockets I found some good size bass. I seen at least 2 looking like 5 lbs. Others around 3 lbs. The ones I noticed in the pockets are really close to the shore. Only 3 feet out, and 3 feet of water. The seem to be very territorial right now, but not hungry. .?....ya!! The one I caught didn't want Any of my baits. It just kept attacking the sinker! !!!. So I hooked up a weighted hook (no bait) and got em. After 1 pm more action. A lot of chasing of the minnows. My brother used a small 2" or so swim bait, and got a nice aggressive one... but fish wrapped up around some of the water grass and snagged up and got away hahah god times. 6b30d80b-173d-4a03-8889-52b90acd170a.jpg

12. nstd

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +154
    any one ever tubed MCR?

13. SynapticBassin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +139
    Yup

14. nstd

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +154
    Any luck or should I stick with rcp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. SynapticBassin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +139
    It was a long time ago. And I'd stick with RCp

16. Serruchofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +339
    How do you get to that spot on friars road. Looked on google earth and i think there is access by the homedepot any help would be awesome

17. dezoutfishing

dezoutfishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94
    I fished those ponds today off friars rd. im going to pm you

18. Vito1023

Vito1023 Vito
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,480
    How'd you do?

19. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,217
    Watch the signs. the area around Home Depot is a preserve. From Friars to Twain I don't know. I hear of scary homeless camps

Jim

20. dezoutfishing

dezoutfishing Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94

fished from about 10-1230 and got no action on anything in my tackle box. went back and fished from about a weightless senko and caught 4 small Bass.

The homeless camps have been mostly cleared out but when fishing sd river I would definitely recommend only fishing it during daylight hours and fish with at least one other person.

If anyone is interested in fishing this spot or other spot on the river let me know im down to show you some spots!!!!!!