San Diego River....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by Tony Vegas, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Tony Vegas

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,285
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    You have been good to me! The last 2 sessions have me pumped! Caught all my bass on top for today's session. 5 in total. mostly clones in the 10 to 12 inch range. The larger one was also the last fish caught today. Lots of blow ups today, 10, hooked up on 6, and landed 5 of em. On came fully out the water to hit it, only to miss, come back a second time for another violent blow up just for me to get excited and yank my popper out the water and land next to my tube. Was a large fish too! Top water bite seems to still be on for the river ponds. Lots of bait being chased on the surface and even small boils. Individual fish still blowing up on things in the tules and along the hydrilla lines. The keys to today's bite was the pause. Popper was the bait. Googan Squad Blooper to be exact. Brown pattern with chartreuse tail and feathered treble. I would work it along the hydrilla and even in the open water. Bloop bloop and then pause, bloop pause. No real pattern to working it but the pause was when they all hit it. Thanks for checking out the post and tight lines everybody! IMG_2119.jpeg IMG_2120.jpeg

2. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,329
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Nice! Enjoy that TW action while you can!

3. Tony Vegas

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,285
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    I almost took it off. Then got one on a blind cast. Then I didn't put it down for the rest of the day. So glad I stuck with it.

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,329
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Amazing what a bite will do!

5. sdfriday

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +328
    Hell yeah! Sounds like a great session and nice report. Haven't tried that pond yet. All the mat growth on top has scared me off so far. Is it my eyes or does it look to have a bit more visibility than the mimi's side?

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +28,329
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Frog those mats, right otay michael ?

7. sdfriday

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +328
    Need to get a frog. I have toads but haven't put alot of effort into them yet. The one time I tried them at the river I had no luck. I'll give 'em another shot.

8. Tony Vegas

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,285
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Yeah some spots the hydrilla mats are redic. But the bass love those mats. I just wish there was more access to the tules. some areas its 20+ yards deep before the tule line. I'm still no tule fisherman by any means, but some areas just can't get to. The water is pretty clear on that side in some areas. where the water meets the bank in some spots and in some shallow stretches you can see the bottom. All that said there is still a large area in that pond behind Best Buy with lots of fishable area. Not nearly as much as across the street. I have only fish in that pond 2 times and each time was a real grind with a skunk and 2 fish trip. All of my best days on the river so far have been behind best buy.

9. sdfriday

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +328
    Will definitely check that side out. In the meantime can you catch a few and throw 'em into Mimi's pond?

10. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,143
    Boat:
    Yes
    Thanks for the report and pics. You can't beat a topwater bite!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Tony Vegas

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,285
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Indeed. The sheer excitement is the best. Even better when the fish is that of some quality