San V.

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by Big Daddy TR21, Aug 30, 2015.

1. bbermingham

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Ranger Reata VS190
    Is the ban on shore fishing a permanent one or simply for the opening?

2. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,324
    Boat:
    SR-18
    no shore fishing indefinitely

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. GeorgeNoch

GeorgeNoch Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Boat:
    Smoker Craft
    I don't understand the city's concerns about safety issues. Is this the same city that allows full contact water sports on El Cap? A lake that is way to low for the hyper speed boogie boats along with mega high speed bass rigs to operate safely. A lake that has already killed and injured folks involved in boating accidents. SV has the room for all the above and the general public to enjoy safely and they are worried about tripping hazards and boat damage caused at the launch ramp. The city and the water department have some sort of agenda here that is hidden behind the smoke screens they are putting up. Open the thing up and stop playing these silly little games. Give El cap a chance to recover from being crowded and over fished for too many years. Sorry about sounding so negative, but my hip boots are not high enough to stay out of the stink on this issue for much longer. Stay away from Ticketmaster Manage the use of lake on first come first serve with limits until the novelty wares off. We don't need another elitist approach to the projected traffic problems.

4. turbulence

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +228
    First come first serve would be a terrible idea for this. El Cap didn't kill anyone, poor boat driver judgement did.

5. clarke

clarke Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't think the fishing community has nearly the beef about El Cap or any other lake. Imagine a recreational boater's complaint. They have had 1 lake with a 25 boat daily capacity, to service the entire county. Imagine if fishing had that restriction? I am not complaining about fishing access one bit. I have a lot of friends and family that use the lakes for recreational activity and they are starving for it.

It would be interesting to know the latest planned schedule for both San V and El Capitan. I don't think both recreational activities play nice together on a small or large lake.

6. Jewn_beef

Jewn_beef Active Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Nice write up on dock issues original design sucked i understand not wanting the trip hazard they should have built it like el cap or others with raised rail system fir dock's to ride up and down.
    Hope the fix they come up with works raised cables will be very dangerous

7. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,196
    is it me, or did we just get tossed another bone?

8. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    Only by me. I just compiled everything that's already been stated and put it in one article so that people not following the message board threads would also have the scoop.

9. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    I thought that too. But other lakes with big ramps, like Diamond Valley don't have raised walkways and this type of system where the cables lay in recessed channels seems to work perfectly.

I still don't know exactly what they've screwed up here at San Vicente. Obviously the cables are attached at the wrong spot of the docks it would seem.

10. Jewn_beef

Jewn_beef Active Member

Ratings:
    +69
    Yeah something has failed cables work good but not at shin or knee height if someone trips on thst and busts thier head open the lakes we have might never get used so they just need to get it sorted out its been years few more months will not hurt i suppose

11. CrazyDonkey

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,298
  12. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    In the grand scheme of the project, it's a small thing. Remember they have nothing to do with the lakes recreation. The SDCWA is just interested in the lake's ability to store and release water.

To the city, it's a major issue because they're the ones that operate the lake on a daily basis. They'd be the ones to deal with any issue resulting from these cables not being tucked away like they're supposed to. And they're also the ones who'd be paying their lake staff to manually drag the dock around when the water level changes, something the dock should do without any human involvement.

Two sides, two different roles, two different views on the importance of the docks auto leveling and being out of the way.

13. pipster

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159
    I read somewhere they were thinking about using the water for reverse pumping/electric generation?

Is this in some plans and have anything to do with no shore fishing?

14. clarke

clarke Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Not likely. The proposed site for the hydro generation is on the complete opposite side of the lake. It would be impossible to get there from one side of the lake (dam) and more than half the day to hike from the other side if only using shore for access..

15. Jewn_beef

Jewn_beef Active Member

Ratings:
    +69
    I doubt it hodges does this with olievenhein lake and it is still open to fishing

16. pipster

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +159

They pipe the water back and forth to hodges. Not spill it over a spillway during the day to produce power, then pump it back at night.

Just wondered if this fluctuating water level might be part if the reason they never see the shoreline to be safe.

17. Jim V

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +127
    Diamond Valley cables DO NOT lie flat in channels. My friend & I have both tripped over the cable in the morning. The lake is closed Mon/Tues & the water had come up so far yesterday, the cable from the dock was mid-shin. Almost invisible in low light. They keep a pontoon tied to the dock to push the ramp up whenever the cable raises up off the ground. Believe me, that concrete has no give. The lake has come up at least 3' from last week.

18. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,216
    San V was raised so the "shoreline" is going to take time to settle. Some stuff will hold fast other stuff will collapse from wave action and all the various forces of the water. All the other lakes this settling has happened over the years. San V is basically a new lake geologically on the shore. Until it stabilizes I doubt the city will open it.

Jim

19. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,847
    Interesting. Every time I've been there they've been recessed. Though previous to this whole hoopla, I guess I may not even have given it a second thought if they wouldn't have been. Thanks for the insight.

20. Jim V

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +127
    The cables lie flat after the dock is pushed up. Since the water has been coming in so fast, worse on wed. after they have been closed on mon/tues. It can still catch you on the ankles other mornings. BTW, fishing was lousy yesterday - not one keeper between 2 of us. Just LITTLE guys.