San Vicente 10/2/17 Almost Skunked!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by TheBassinPanda, Oct 2, 2017.

1. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Boat:
    I wish
    Welp,

I decided to try out San Vicente today after a month of no fishing! Work has been busy and I had other things to take care of on my one day off. I was hoping San V would treat me better on my own and headed out there first thing and got a rental. Cool thing is if you get a rental, they give you a lift with their cart to the boat and back up to the lot when you're done. Can't imagine trying to come down and go back up that ramp with all my gear and my cooler lol.

I headed straight out to the Grassy Bay area and dropped an anchor when I noticed some boils. Quickly threw my Sexy Dawg Jr at the boils with no luck. Tried the Gunfish, nada. This school stayed around for a good 2 hrs or so just jumping near my boat. They kept moving around but got pretty close to me but never hit anything I threw. I threw a keitech on an underspin, and different colored flukes but nothing panned out.

After 2hrs of following this school and throwing everything I had I went to drop shot and on my first cast hooked onto something good. He fought hard and then all of a sudden, he broke off. I was so upset as he seemed like a nice fish. I guess my fluoro leader had some knicks in it from last time I went out. I should have retied a new leader before going out but I got lazy. Lesson learned, always retie a new leader, especially after a month hiatus from my last fishing trip.

I kept working my way to Barona Arm throwing top water and frogs at the mossy areas. Got no takers and some nibbles on my drop shot. I couldn't get any solid hook sets on any of my drop shot bites. Must have been really small bass or something.

I ended up in Kimball Arm when I tossed out my frog and got an instant blowup. Turned out to be a giant bullfrog... lol. Can't believe this happened to me again. RamonaAngler you would be proud, I got two bullfrogs now just like you lol.

D57Gyp3.jpg

I kept working my way around the lake with no bites and just nibbles on my drop shot when I noticed it was already past 4pm. I decided to make a big move and head towards the Aqueduct Arm where RamonaAngler took me before. Got there around 4:45pm and made a few casts at the treeline a few times with no bites. Then finally after switching to a different color Roboworm, I made a cast right at the treeline at the entrance to the flowing water and got a nibble. I let him eat the worm just to make sure since I was missing so many strikes and set the hook. Fish on! The guy gave me a nice little fight and helped me beat the skunk at around 5pm.

lunc9bE.jpg

It was a very very tough day for me and I don't know if I ever want to return to San V again lol. Needless to say I AM BEAT. Spent 11hrs or so on the water for just one fish and one bull frog. I was afraid I was going to go home skunked but I got lucky!

2. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,543
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Those breakers are being tough there right now

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +805
    Way to grind it out man, some days are just like that but you'll never know unless you go. The schooling fish can be tough cause they're constantly on the move chasing isolated school of really tiny Silversides. They won't touch a lure unless you cast right on their head, which can be tough anchored up in a rental boat. Outside of the schooling fish the bass are posted in the grass or on the outside edge of the grass line. If the wind is blowing or pleasure boaters kick up some wake try fishing the mud lines they create along the shore.

I was there last Sunday for half a day and only caught 5, didn't write a report was too tired by the time I drove home and had work the next morning. It was a grind and pleasure boaters were driving me crazy, which prompted me to go back to DVL.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,877
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Either persistence or getting your money's worth! ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Boat:
    I wish
    Too tough. They were jumping completely out of the water at times too.

Thanks for the tips. I'm probably not going to go back to San V anymore lol. It's too much of a grind here with lots of snags and losing lures and retying..Ugh.

I need to get back to DVL soon dang it!

Both! lol. I was pretty darn worried that I was going to go home skunked and be out more than $100 today because of the boat rental and all the lures and weights I lost.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Boat:
    I wish

Got a short clip of the bass busting right in front of me. They did this to me off and on for about 2 hours or so.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +716
    Boat:
    Lowe Stinger 175
    Thanks Panda for the report. How long was your leader to your weight? 10-12 inch leader was working good for me. I'm going Friday hopefully its better.

8. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +6,883
    What we've all had days like that. Thank God you got one to save the day, and we've all done that Too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  9. RamonaAngler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,756
    Boat:
    Yes
    Wow TheBassinPanda sounds like my day Monday at San V. I wish I had known you were going to be at San V. I could have towed you around. :emoji_smiley: Unfortunately, I had a tough time at San V. too.------- Long day for you. Glad you beat the skunk!! We'll have to go back out again soon. Thanks for the report and pics!

10. landman10

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +461
    Don't want to act like a know it all but i always have some kind of spoon tied on when you have busting fish. Cast on the fish a let drop for a few seconds if no takers retrieve it back by whipping your spoon and letting it sink again for a few seconds. Kastmasters, crocodiles work good but there are other specialty jigging spoons out there that work great.
    I have had a lot of success with this method on tough schooling busters.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. BassinNova

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,689
    OG Mudbone brings up a good point about fishing out of a rental and being anchored up. You see these busting fish and want to get in on the action but they are a little too far from your casting distance. Better to just hunker down and fish those grass lines and other fishable structure instead of going for those "time teasers." This happens to me too and I've just let it go and focus on trying for the under the surface fish. At least the busters tell me the lake has some fish in it :)
    That's a good tip about the spoons though just in case you want to play the TW game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  12. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +805
    I'm right there in that boat with you haha. But more so because the pleasure boaters, too many incompetent ones. I might head back to DVL this weekend, it's night and day compared to San V in terms of an enjoyable, relaxing outing.

My pops always told me if I'm not getting snagged I'm not fishing the right areas. Well my pops is no longer paying for my tackle, lol. I'm stubborn so I try not to think about lost tackle, I just consider it donation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. OG MUDBONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +805
    Time teasers is an excellent way to put it. Without the ability to follow the schools and stay just within casting distance you are limited to standing around and waiting for them to come to you. If they are keyed in on really small bait like they are right now it's not even a gaurantee that they'll be interested in anything you have to throw at them, so time wasted potentially increases. But when bass are breaking like that it's awful hard to put down the tw and pick up the dropshot! Sometimes pride will allow you go down guns a blazing lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,543
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    Small 1/16 oz kastmasters. 5 pound braid or 4 pound test. You can cast them a long way with a 6’10med action spinning rod and a 1000 size reel. Small 2.5 in shad baits on a 3/32 darter head. Same set up. Many times those fish dont want to hit our lures on the surface yet if we get them just under the surface they smack them. At least thats my plan Sat.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Boat:
    I wish
    Oh that would have been awesome lol. Oh well, glad to see you got out there with the Mrs. But thanks to you showing me the Aqueduct Arm last time that I was able to beat the skunk yesterday. That was the only place I knew where I knew I could catch a bass lol.

Sounds like a great idea. I actually looked at buying some Kastmasters on Sunday when I was visiting my local tackle shop but decided nah I don't think i'll need it lol. I remember ol VinnyBass posting about throwing them before at Murray. Should have picked em up.

Ya I usually don't chase schools either but they wouldn't leave where I anchored for over 2hrs. They kept busting all around me, sometimes getting close enough where I was able to cast on top of them. But they never hit my sexy dawg, gunfish or fluke. :(

DVL is the best, love that lake. I agree with the sentiment, if you're not snaggin, you're not catching but man I was getting hung up so much it was aggravating. Because I always run braid to fluoro leader I would have to spend extra time retying FG Knots because I would come back with only 2ft or less of fluoro leader.

Yea I had no idea they were keyed in on those tiny minnows. I had no idea they really existed. I just kept hoping they were going to bite SOMETHING of mine but, lesson learned lol.

Good luck! If anyone can put a good hurtin on em, it's you!

16. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Boat:
    I wish
    Ya 12" leader. Good luck! When i was there the wind picked up real hard. Water was pretty choppy at times and i got blown around a lot.

17. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +716
    Boat:
    Lowe Stinger 175
    I got them to bite. Caught 7 in about an hour. All clones but chunky. IMG_1273.JPG

18. TheBassinPanda

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Boat:
    I wish
    Good job sir! Is that a clone fry you were tossin?

19. surferjohn

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +716
    Boat:
    Lowe Stinger 175
    Sworn to secrecy but linebigs favorite lures on busters. :emoji_scream:They would not touch the hardbaits for me.