Santa Cruz 11/20-11/22/21

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by pologiant, Dec 3, 2021.

1. pologiant

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +241
    Hey y'all, late post but here's my report from my recent trip to Santa Cruz. I posted earlier about Fishing for Travel Tips, and got some good stuff in there. Ended up fishing from the surf at Twin Lakes Beach all weekend, as it was 100 yards from the rental unit. Nice beach, with HUGE sand crab nests with HUGE sand crabs. Talking about the size of your thumb past the first knuckle. I've never seen them so big or so prevalent.

Theres a large cliff wall on the left side of the beach, and that's where I broke into the bigguns. Started out with shrimp and mussels my buddy had harvested*** but when I figured out the sand crab secret oh baby - that is when things got good. They were piled up all down the beach, so I threw em on a high-low rig with a 30g weight, and two size 4 baitholders. surf was relatively small, and the water was clear of any debris at all, it was prime fishing. I've never had it so good. I've never had much success surf fishing in the past before, I'm talking maybe 5 perch lifetime, and nothing crazy size-wise. Fishing was decent during the day, and we spent all our time at the beach as a group so I fished pretty hard. But the evenings is when things really heated up, it was to the point where it was a good size perch every cast, a big one every 3.

We kept 7 total for the weekend, and fed the group with a nice beer battered fish fry on Sunday night. It was great! As you can see in the sink picture below, something hit the big guy on the tail. Also, that's my buddy with the little ones. He was annoyed by me telling him where to cast after I figured it out, but as soon as he followed my instructions he got some keepers himself and quickly ate crow. Ha! All in all a good weekend, I'm itching to get out to the surf here sometime soon in SD... anyone see any sand crabs?

***I froze my buddy's mussels before I shucked them and salted them, and they turned to mush and wouldn't stay on a hook for very long at all. Any tips on how to prepare harvested mussels for bait?

IMG_1812.jpg IMG_0769.jpg IMG_1796.jpg IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1816.jpg IMG_1817.jpg 65933084204__73329750-AADB-47E1-B72E-D4FA122D0642.jpg

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +60,776
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Great run there. Very fun stuff. I loved fishing up there when I could. Some great surf areas up north. Excellent rockfish too. Thanks for taking the time to post a report and a few pix. When the perch are thick like that, toss the LC, krokodile, deadly dick etc, the bigguns will smack the hard baits.

3. perch killer

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,885
    Nice report. Found a few sc's a few weeks back under the pier at PB, hard to find at SD beaches. Some of the N.County guys are still finding some, at least they were a few weeks back. Also, none of the dozen or so I found had roe. No interest by the fishes. Better luck with mussel meat & ghosties. Salt the mussels before freezing to firm them up.

4. Bird334

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,040
    Nice report, I was listening to Let's talk hookup, with Bill Varney on, he said something like there are 3 kinds of sand crabs. The ones up north are their year round in high numbers.