Santee Lakes GRRR

Discussion in 'Trout' started by rontech, Dec 9, 2018.

1. rontech

rontech Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +34
    I just came from Santee Lakes and I will probably never set foot there ever again. I have been hassled and yelled at for inadvertently squealing my tires, while turning around. Not really "squealing" my tires, but I broke traction a little and one of the "guards" saw me. After the rains, there is loose dirt everywhere so it happens. I never even got to wet a line. After being followed and yelled at, I decided to just leave, and after I exited the park, one of their "guards" decided to follow me all the way to Mast Blvd. Why is this asshat following me off of their little strip of private property? Besides, the fishing there absolutely sucks. No, I will not be returning any time soon. That place can close down for all I care.

#1 rontech, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,343
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    About where a lot of people are at with Santee lakes

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. rontech

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah I think I am going to try Jennings next. The fishing there is so much better, and you can fish in peace without these guards or wardens or whatever you call those people at Santee breathing down your neck. God forbid if you light a cigarette while checking your line. They must be sitting there with binoculars making sure nobody smokes or has a beer.
    Oh yeah, how about the one time I decided to go camping there several years ago, and they wouldn't allow my truck in because it had a small dent in the left front fender? Yeah, I'll never ever camp there in their overpriced campground either even though I have a much newer, shinier truck with no dings or dents anywhere on it.

#3 rontech, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  4. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,427
    Dang clantee

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. 12incher

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +567
    I’m having a really difficult time believing you were denied the opportunity to camp due to a fender ding. Occams Razor suggests it was something else.

And the rules are quite clear that smoking and alcohol aren’t allowed, at least the rules I read on-line.

6. rontech

Ratings:
    +34
    Like I said, this was several years ago and I had an older Toyota truck. The dent was about 6 inches across. I don't know if it is different now because I never bothered to try to camp there after that.
    And I myself don't drink so I don't have to worry about that but I am sure there are many others there hiding while they take a drink off of their beer. I do smoke though but I always sat in my truck while doing so.

7. sdedtune

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,323
    You didn't miss anything. I was there all morning and no one was catching anything. I must have done 2 or 3 laps around 3 & 4

8. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,969
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Just curious, what does a dent have to do with camping?

9. rontech

Ratings:
    +34
    In the past they had a policy in which your vehicles couldn't have any dents or other cosmetic damage or they wouldn't let it in. That is precisely what happened to me. This was something like 15 years ago and I don't know if they changed it, but your vehicle pretty much had to be in pristine condition in order to camp there.
    This is directly off of their website...
    "Camping Units will be denied camping privileges based on unsightly appearance (ask for details at the Park Office)".
    The truck I have now has a couple of scratches on the side of the front bumper where I scraped it against a cinder block wall while backing it in. I wonder if they would turn me away for that HA HA

#9 rontech, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,969
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Wow, never in my life heard of such a thing! I wonder what the rationale was for such a rule? Keep out the riff-raff... in Santee???

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. rontech

Ratings:
    +34
    Yeah, for the short time that I was there I didn't see anyone catch Not A Damn Thing. The only thing I caught was some flack from the Gestapo agents there. Screw that place.
    I am finished paying money to be harassed and followed everywhere so I can NOT catch fish. I should demand a refund for my park entrance fees and fishing permit, since I didn't get to use it, but of course I threw the park pass and fishing permit out the window as soon as I drove out of the place.

12. rontech

Ratings:
    +34
    Probably. Go to their website and look at rules and regs for the campground.
    I assume that the rule was originally intended to keep homeless with their run down falling apart RV trailers out, however I am sure there are some power hungry asshats working (volunteering) there who apply the rule any way they feel like. They expect everyone who camps out there to have brand new vehicles. At least that's the way it was 15 years ago.

#12 rontech, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  13. Rxwoman

Rxwoman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    I would call and complain to someone. Something similar happened to me a few months ago, my husband dropped me off without buying a parking permit, then came back to pick me up at the end of the day. I wasnt quite ready to go, so he hung out for 20 minutes or so.
    The next day we wanted to do the same thing, but the zealous volunteer at the gate said " no you have to buy a parking permit. I remember you from yesterday." I explained he was just dropping me off and she made a face and said, "fine, but only if you drop her off where I can see you...over there...and then leave."
    When he came to pick me up she wouldn't let him in at all so he parked on Fanita and walked down.

I called and complained the next day and tore that volunteer and new one. My husband is a disabled veteran and who the blankety blank is she to talk to us that way?
    We received apology after apology.

14. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +444
    What lure would be illegal anyways?

15. swings are free

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,699
    I'm guessing A-rig maybe?

16. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,145
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    That Occam was an interesting fellow. Sometimes I drop this on my kids and they just stare at me.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Kesepton

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +444
    Would someone really throw an A - Rig, even a legal one, at Santee? Seems a little excessive for a that small pond! I hope he replies!

But for the threads sake, I never fish or camp there either a friend of mine likes to take his RV there. I'll come through the campers gate for BBQ or what not but paying the fees at the gate is crazy. I'm surprised he likes it there so much but it's convenient. I'm pretty sure camping rates are pretty high too