santee lakes question.

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by indymusky, Dec 30, 2010.

1. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +657
    Im taking my little brother out to santee tomarrow for a couple hours of fishing and was wondering if the ponds are worth fishing and if you can actually catch numbers.

2. bdb74

bdb74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I was there earlier in the week and saw virtually nothing caught. I saw a few small DFG type trout on stringers.

I went to Poway on Wednesday and had two on metal, the guys with nc's were getting catfish and trout. Talked to some bass guys who got skunked. The Poway trout are two to three times bigger and fight much much harder.

3. indymusky

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +657
    yea just fishing for bass.

4. mlfisherman

mlfisherman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Bass will be tough at Santee right now with it being so cold. Santee doesn't have a lot of depth. I think if you arn't afraid of the walk, Loveland may be a better idea.

5. Shakey

Shakey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Double leader; power bait on one, night crawler on the other. Fish the west side of lake 4. ALL of the trout sit on that side. Get there early.

6. bdb74

bdb74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I thought you probably wanted bass. I fished 2,3, and 4 and I couldn't figure where the structure was or even if there was any in large parts of them. There must be bass in there somewhere but I would recommend the other lakes. The trout they stock are perfect meal size for big bass so I'd recommend swimbaits but you said you wanted numbers. My bet is that 99% of the people there will be on 2,3, and 4 for the trout so you would have the bass in 1 all to yourself.

7. Ultimate Angler 4

Ultimate Angler 4 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Boat:
    Valco custom built
    yep shakey knows wats up! they just stocked so you should have a good chance getting trout numbers. dont go for bass in lake 1 if you however do go for bass throw texas rigs worms, senkos, or rattletraps at LAKE 5. the bass are being wierd tho at 5 i think theyve just realized its winter and they are boiling on shad! me and my friends were tripping out this was happening in winter.if they are boiling throw rattletraps i the boils and if u happen to snag a shad put that thing on a single hook cast as far as you can and just let it sit on the bottom.u will get one forsure doing that. good luck!!

8. lovinSDfishing1

lovinSDfishing1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I fished it Tuesday and there was nuthin happnin. I saw 5 fish caught all day 4 bass at lake 5 on Rattle Traps and 1 trout at lake 3 on power bait

9. alwaysfishin

alwaysfishin New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It was terrible fishing there last weekend. My hubby and I love fishing there, and usually do really well, but we fished 12/31 and 1/2 and NOTHING. And they stocked 12/30.