SanV 9/26

Discussion in 'Freshwater Reports' started by natgeo211, Sep 27, 2021.

1. natgeo211

natgeo211 Active Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Name:
    Nathan A Winicki
    Got to the lake at 6:30 and with the heavy cloud cover and slight drizzle I thought it was going to be topwater all day. Not so much… by 9:30 I had only one missed blowup so I decided to put that away and fish the trusty worm. Hit all my usual spots and nobody seemed to be home. By noon I had three fish and decided to call it a day. Something was off… either they're starting the fall transition or the crazy low water level put them in a funk. There’s now a big Lowell and a little Lowell island. I remember marking that high spot in 18’ of water last Spring.

2. natgeo211

natgeo211 Active Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Name:
    Nathan A Winicki
    My last three trips to the V have been like this… September’s been tough.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +21,300
    Water temps at the lakes have gone down and sometimes it throws things off a little. Main thing is you are out there giving it your best. Trust me....many guys have had tough days (INCLUDING ME) in September, but every once in a while things pay off. Tight lines to you. :)

#3 VinnyBass, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Tony Vegas

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,180
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    With these large draw-downs happening all over the state I was talking with a few guys that I have known over the years and some of em are guides, they have all told me that when that happens don't be afraid to look shallow, but seems like you did only manufacturing one blow up. Next they said if you know a rock is in 40 feet then a 20 foot draw happens leaving it in 20, I was told that some of those fish will stay on that specific piece of cover or structure, and some fish will back out to the depth that it was at before the draw, i.e. 40ft in this example I give. Lakes with huge draws can be tough, seems like when you get there after a couple weeks being elsewhere its a whole new lake, but once a few of my buddies told me that I noticed that I started to catch some more when a big draw happens. I use a kind of 2 pronged approach when I get to a spot. Like the rock mentioned before if I was catching fish on it when it was in 40 ft, I'm still going to fish it when its only in 20 ft, and then after I am going back off of it and fish for the ones that vacated to deeper water as well out in 40ft. Once I started to do that I noticed I caught more fish. Not saying you're going to kill em doing this but you will get a few more fish to tap your line. Hope this helps you some. Tight Lines my man!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. natgeo211

natgeo211 Active Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Name:
    Nathan A Winicki
    Good info! It’s the constant changing of conditions and techniques that keeps this sport fun and humbling. I’ll be checking some of those deeper rock piles that might be in the right zone now that the water’s low. Thanks for the tip

6. mcfish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,938
    Boat:
    fisher marine18
    It's amazing to see the little islands reappearing..I thought we would never see them again once the new dam was built. I have fond memories of fishing the gap and grassy bay back in the old days!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +27,578
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    You must be the same age as old guys!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. otay michael

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,128
    We took the 'afternoon shift' yesteday the 27th, about 8 trailers in the lot. And had the same results to start with as did your trip; same conditions too, except no drizzle. Cold, windy and overcast. Thought top would be off the hook, and that's what it was, the bass stayed off the hook.

Contemplated going d/s after two hours, but held off. Glad we did, finally getting them on a variety of top, and my backseater got a very nice one on a small swimbait on top too. Some wolf packs started working the shore, here and there, and just swimming a senko across the surface got hookups. Fun times.

SanV198.jpg

Larry_SanV251.jpg

9. natgeo211

natgeo211 Active Member

Ratings:
    +269
    Name:
    Nathan A Winicki
    Wow those are some pigs! Nice job

10. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings: