1. Spotted bay bass SDFISH shirts available to order

We're doing another run of the popular Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts, with a couple of additional colors this time. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

Save your seats

Discussion in 'Boating & boat maintenance' started by Carterantebi, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Carterantebi

Carterantebi Captain of the Cays
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    So last week I put a lot of time into working on the boat to get her ready for summer. This involved a LOT of cleaning. A lot of you private boaters probably know exactly what I'm talking about when I say boats take a beating from sitting at the dock all offseason, so you can imagine how rough the Bayliner was looking after sitting for over a year without any fish. Last week I was looking at the seats on the exterior of the boat and we were thinking they were going to be replaced based on how weathered they looked. Seriously, it looked really bad and wouldn't wash off no matter what we tried. The next day, I'm at West Marine buying zincs and come across 3 spray bottles on the shelf that really caught my eye. One was a vinyl cleaner and the other was a mold and mildew stain remover. I figured I might as well try it since nothing else has worked. I go home and give the vinyl spray a try first. With one wipe, the black stains came right off. The following picture is a comparison of the seat before and after about 15 seconds of wiping. Really impressed. image.jpeg On the parts that were more exposed to the elements, spraying the mold and mildew spray and leaving it to soak in for a bit did the trick.

Note: if using the spray for mold/mildew stains, be sure to thoroughly rinse when you're done. The stuff has a ton of bleach and I made the mistake of sitting down on the captain's chair when I thought it felt pretty dry. Now my shorts have a big orangish blob on the butt.

I spent a ton of time doing some wax on, wax off work and getting the decks all clean again after over a year of birdshyt, blood, mildew stains, and rust stains from whoever thought it was a good idea to not use stainless bolts and screws. You can imagine the stern didn't get much cleaning thanks to the broken bilge pumps and the scuppers not going straight out the side like they're supposed to. However, that's all been resolved and so I probably put California back into the drought hosing the crap out of every fiberglass surface on the boat. Now instead of a gray boat, it's starting to look like I have the nice and pearly white boat that was cruising the kelp not too long ago. image.jpeg

You guys see those plastic windows on the side that look all yellow and old? Anyone know what they're called? They look like easy enough of a fix, but I don't know the proper name for them so they can be replaced with something off the interwebs.

I'm pretty glad to finally put in some serious work on the boat. Fixed some wiring issues so now the majority of the lights are working again, including the deck lights and nav lights. They still only run off the battery though. Doesn't seem to work solely off of dock power. I'm hoping it's just the cord and not more wiring issues. The other good news is that it's almost running. We decided to ditch the plan of dropping the Chevy 350 in due to compatibility issues, so you guys will probably see that pop up for sale in the near future. Instead, we are just going to fix the Volvo Penta that's in it now. I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. We're almost there, and I think the goal is to be back on the water by June. I'm stoked for when I finally get to hear it start up again.

Tight lines guys,
    -Carter

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  2. Vito1023

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,368
    That's really exciting to know your almost there, I know I owned a small 16ft boat back in the eighties and it was a lot of work keeping it up, I thought it was great when I sold it to a friend that I used to go fishing with all the time, I thought hey this is great now he owns it and now he'll have it so I will still be able to go out when he does.
    Didn't work out that way he didn't keep it up and it finally got sold.
    Let me know if you ever need a somebody to help catch some fish on that boat or clean or gas or? HaHA I'm sure you'll have tons of new friends when that boat get ready to head out? Good luck,
    it looks like a nice boat.

#2 Vito1023, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Haha hopefully when it comes time to sell it, the boat goes to someone I know and hopefully they take good care of it. I figured I'm about to have a lot of new best friends once we're running.

4. SageBug

SageBug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232
    Name:
    Jason
    Stainless steel will leave rust stains.

5. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Quite the oxymoron I guess. What would be the alternative?

6. SageBug

SageBug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232
    Name:
    Jason
    When my local boat shop told me that I didn't believe them either.
    I was told to wax my hardware and keep it clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Well, a lot of the hardware could be replaced anyways.

8. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
  9. Chknlyps2

Chknlyps2 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +435
    Name:
    Robbie
    That stuff did a great job, do you have a pic of the bottles or the name of them? I just picked up a center console today and the front seat needs the same treatment.
    20170422_135928.jpg

10. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I believe it's just the generic West Marine brand. I used their vinyl seat cleaner and the other bottle was the mold and mildew removed spray.

11. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...1ZOwAuFdXHR7LUoifB7qRyuqT78GrNkNuFxoCIIfw_wcB
    https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...X&ved=0ahUKEwiXzbWjvLnTAhVJyyYKHTRKA8cQ8wIIOw
    Here's links to both products. What kind of boat did you get? Looks like the seats out of a Bayliner/Trophy CC.

12. Chknlyps2

Ratings:
    +435
    Name:
    Robbie
    LOL, Yep a 1990 Bayliner center console with an 01 Yamaha outboard. Boat & motor are in decent shape but the trailer needs a little help. The pink slip says it is 19 ft but my tape measure says it is just a little under 18 1/2 ft.

13. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I think I saw that on CL recently. Congrats!

14. Chknlyps2

Ratings:
    +435
    Name:
    Robbie
    Yep, that is where I found it and thanks..... oh thanks for the links, I have them in my cart. Trying to find $25 more in stuff that I need to get the free shipping...LOL

15. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    I'd definitely make a trip to West Marine if you've never been. The one on Rosecrans is awesome. They've got everything you'd ever need to be a boat owner. If you're looking to trick out your boat, that's the place.

16. Chknlyps2

Ratings:
    +435
    Name:
    Robbie
    I do like it there, some of the fishing stuff is overpriced, Squidco has been my favorite as far as fishing goes. I had a small boat I would take to the bay back in the mid 2000's and saw their sign when going by back then and would stop in. They had a good deal last black friday on fish finders so I picked up one that already has the costal maps loaded (I had to add the lake maps for my ranger boat) and I picked up an extra transducer knowing I would have a saltwater boat sooner or later that I could switch it back and forth with. I still need to get a VHF raido though. I ordered the spray cleaners you linked me to online and had to add a couple things to get the free shipping. Cheaper for me than driving there because I am an hour and a half away.

17. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,763
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Bayliner+Hobie Revo
    Oh shoot, just saw you're around Temecula. Hope those sprays work for you.