ScorcherZ

Discussion in 'Lure Making & Customizing' started by carpkiller, Oct 3, 2019.

1. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Gonna put all my tube-bait-making misadventures in one thread from here on out. This should serve as a tutorial for a beginner.

**follow all safety instructions listed on websites and plastisol container**

20191003_003047.jpg

Wanted tube baits without tentacles, and with longer tails than the ones sold in stores.

EQUIPMENT LIST:
    Plastisol or old baits to melt down
    Tent pegs, 3/16 diameter are 49 cents each at Walmart
    Pyrex cup or coffee mug
    Microwave
    Oven mitt
    Scissors
    Boxcutter
    Small tub of water (Helps get tubes off pegs, and a quick dip prevents second degree burns if hot plastic dribbles on your fingers)

(recommend just getting the stuff above, and try melting down some old worms first)

Cooling rack (or some place to hang pegs as plastic cools)
    Glitter - bum some from someone who's already messing with this stuff
    Colors - also can be bummed....**if you don't by the non-bleeding colors, your laminates are gonna become solid colors....and if you store different colored tubes together they'll all just end up brown.
    Worm oil (pricey scented goop, adds taste and makes finished baits easier to store and handle)
    Dinner plate(s) paper, plastic, whatever for piling up tubes during a production run
    Bags for finished baits, or a 3700 sized plano or similar tray.
    Leadheads. Ball, darter, or tube jig style heads will work. An Ultra Minnow (Do-It molds) is the prettiest....
    Heat Stabilizer. Haven't used this yet, but will reportedly help in reducing scorching while melting.

Tent pegs
    Round off the pointy ends with a file.
    Steel 3/16 tent pegs cost 49 cents at Walmart.
    1/4 (6mm) Aluminum pegs can be had for 52 cents apiece, if you buy 20 of 'em at a time on Amazon.
    You might find deals in the garden shops on stakes.

MICROWAVE
    Bought a used microwave from a thrift store for $15. Working outdoors is probably best.

Plastisol
    Try melting down some old baits first to figure out how stuff works.
    ***Used but modern baits work best. I tried melting some never-used vintage stuff that was still in the original packages. Some felt a little dried out (like Creme worms from the seventies), some was slimy (like 15 year old Culprit Tassel lizards). If the plastic feels weird, may not be worth the time you spend melting it down. And you can't learn dipping or molding techniques if the material doesn't flow and set up right.***

Bought a quart of plastisol, then another quart from Barlow's.

Baitplastics has the best deal going on gallons, if bought through ebay. Under 40 bucks including shipping. Their extra tough is really hard, good for a tube bait that will withstand some gnawing by spotted bay bass.

Cooking

If you are going to re-melt old plastics, or a big blob of stuff left over from your last production run, cut into small pieces. Big chunks=scorching, discoloration and hardening of the plastic.

Heat the plastic in a cup for 30 seconds...take it out and stir. If it's still solid, go 20 seconds at a time until it starts to melt. And stir to prevent scorching and to get rid of bubbles.

Pyrex cups are good. $2 at walmart for an anchor hocking brand measuring cup that is safe for microwaving. Tall tea cups from the Daiso store are deeper, better for dipping longer tubes.

Once the plastic is melted, the clock is ticking. Work fast, make as many tubes as possible; this is where having lots of tent pegs helps. As the plastic cools, it gets less runny...which means thicker walls on your baits.

20191001_083113.jpg

Dip the tent peg (I do two at a time) as deep as you want the lure to be long. Lift up, let the extra plastic dribble off. Hang the pegs somewhere to cool, or dip 'em in water. There will be long strings of spiderwebby plastic hanging off the end of the tube. Deal with it.

For the rat-tailed tubes, dip a short tube of your preferred color and leave it on the peg. Then melt up some clear plastic with glitter, and dip again, but deeper, putting a clear coat over the colored body and adding a clear tail.

180204 rattail ScorcherZ chartreuse and clear tail.jpg

For a clear head so the 3D eye really pops...like in the Ribbed Rose at the top of the post....

Dip a colored tube. Let cool for a couple minutes, use the boxcutter to cut off the head of the tube. Then dip the whole thing in clear, just deep enough to cover the head. Let it cool a little...then dunk really deep to put a clear coat over the head, the colored body, and adding a rat tail. Keep the plastic hot so it goes on thin.

Leadheads

Here's a 1/4 oz ball head inside a 1/4 inch/6mm ID tube.
    191005 ball head scorcherz.jpg

Ball heads, darter heads, tube-bait leadheads, whatever. As long as you can jam it into the tube it probably doesn't matter much. The eye of the hook needs to stick out from the lead far enough to make it easy to tie it to your line.

Here are some heads I had laying around. Any will work in a tube except the Diner Shiner on the right. Jam that inside a tube bait and the eye of the hook will be buried in the plastic...hard to tie on.

191005 jighead types.jpg

Besides the 3D eye, can fish really even see the details in the Ultra Minnow heads that I use? Definitely not when a solid color tube body is used. The stick-on eyes are the most expensive part of the leadheads that I make...so I leave some without eyes to use in solid-colored tubes.
    Color-matching jigheads?

I'm just using bare lead. Even re-using dull gray heads, a new tube gives all the color and shine you need. And the stick-on eyes don't get dull and can be replaced when they fall off.

Looks like Matt at wetbandits also is doing the same...

Lure assembly:

Boxcutter to slit where the hook will exit the tube. NOTE: you want the slot to extend a little bit in front of where the bend in the hook will be. If a short biting fish pulls on the tail, you want a little room so the hook doesn't tear the plastic.

tube marked.jpg

Jam the jighead in to the cut, and work it up into position.

tube inserting.jpg

When the leadhead's in the nose of the tube, just rub your thumb over the bump where the eye of the hook is...it'll pop through.

tube assembled.jpg

Here's a tube made on 6mm (1/4 inch) hexagonal tent peg. The flat spots flash when front-lit...and light/dark areas from behind are distorted, and change as the relative positions of the light source, fish, or lure change.

191009 hex tube.jpg

ScorcherZ Species List (by numbers caught):
    Spotted Sand (Bay) Bass
    Largemouth Bass
    Sand Bass
    Kelp (Calico) Bass
    Mackerel
    California Halibut
    Yellowfin Croaker
    Bonefish
    Smallmouth Bass*
    Green Sunfish/Bluegill hybrids
    Smelt
    Sculpin
    Striped Bass*

*caught by someone else

CUSTOM ORDERS:
    Try Matt (wetbandits)..his stuff looks terrific.
    I'm too darn lazy to make these for sale.

GALLERY
    180808 ScorcherZ Bonefish SD Bay SQ CROP.jpg

These kids were picnicking with their families on the little beach at the golf course on Coronado. Dredged up a legal halibut right in front of 'em in a couple feet of water. Double points for catching something right in front of witnesses.

20190512_175455[1].jpg
    181208 smelt scorcherz tidelands tft tourney.jpg
    20190330_185238[1].jpg
    191009 striper scorcherz canal .jpg
    180211 LMB ScorcherZ 19th hole creek x.jpg

180826 spotty on apron mariner's.jpg
    180903 sculpin on the scorcherz.jpg
    190420 halibut face w ScorcherZ.jpg

20191021_231539.jpg

20190921_203257.jpg

#1 carpkiller, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,730
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Looks like they would work

3. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Brown Tomato.. I could see that color catching on. BTW, I keep trying to figure out what you’ve got circled in your avatar. What am I looking at ?

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    That is the lagoon at Torrey Pines. It was full of corbina and even some spotfin (the dark spots in the foreground)....while I was taking pics a mullet jumped into the shot.

5. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    Do tubes without the usual skirt really work ? ! ...and for freshwater species?

6. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    20190330_185238.jpg people are catching a lot of stuff w the HookUp baits. I get some bass on ScorcherZ. One of these days I need to take along some panfish-sized versions to give the bluegill and greenies a fair shot...

edit: A trouty sized mini jighead and a 3/16" ScorcherZ body could put bluegill, diamond turbot and staghorn sculpin on the species list. Hmmm.

#6 carpkiller, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  7. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I like the color combinations. Bet the fish will too.

8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    No doubt it will work. The best bait for panfish though is the 2” Triple Threat Grub. It just caught the world record crappie. But then ask me about my dog!
    440351B9-FEA6-40A7-AD05-A5FBF65E10DE.jpeg :emoji_blush::emoji_blush:

9. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +225
    Well done CK! Looks like you've got a good species list going. Go get em!

10. vaughanmatt13

vaughanmatt13 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Name:
    Matthew Vaughan
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    I also make tubes and assorted jigs I dig your color combos keep it up !!

70297327_394860668128919_957456854203424761_n.jpg

11. flyfishinsteve64

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,242
    Boat:
    2017Crestliner VT-17
    I used to pour my own plastics and lead heads. Very cool.

12. mick

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +225
    A lot of good information in this thread. I'll pin it to the top for a while so we can continue the dialog

mick

13. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Hi Matt,
    Are you color-matching the heads that go into the tubes? Or using a clear coat? I am not. Re-using leadheads...even a dull gray head looks sexy as long as the eyes are bright and it's looking through some shiny new plastic.

Thanks,
    Rob

14. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,638
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro

Brown Tomato...we used to make a grub that color but with all kinds of different size and colors of flake. It was basically scrap from all the transparent colors mixed together with some virgin plastisol. We called it “Sweep” and it was a killer for LMB as well as in the bay.

15. vaughanmatt13

Ratings:
    +255
    Name:
    Matthew Vaughan
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    Hey Rob no I tend to leave the heads unpainted unless the customer wants something special.

16. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,592
    Achtung wunderkinder...
    So how many times can this crap be remelted?
    I have a blob of stuff ...about 6 ounces...that that's been been carefully re re re heated and is now tougher than the spare tire on your Yugo. It's a blend of leftovers from several different batches, melted down and blended w ever-darker colors. It's a deep dark green color now...
    But because proper care has been exercised it hasn't scorched and still has a delicious plastisol smell. So can I keep chopping it up and carefully remelting...and blending w fresh stuff... of should I just chuck this tough blob and move on?

20191027_181051.jpg

17. vaughanmatt13

Ratings:
    +255
    Name:
    Matthew Vaughan
    Boat:
    Hobie Pro Angler 14
    You can definitely use it don't toss it just remelt it at 350 degrees

18. spoonminnow

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +924
    I've found that old plastic melts at 300 degrees and can be injected or poured with no problem. I usually add softener or soft grade plastisol - too stiff a plastic kills lure action.

#18 spoonminnow, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019