Scouted out Pendleton Beach and Jetty

Discussion in 'Surf, Piers, & Jetties' started by Baywolf, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Baywolf

Baywolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +752
    Name:
    Perry
    Shinna and I took a road trip to scout out Pendleton Beach area for a future fishing excursion. The access is restricted to military or DOD affiliated since you have to actually go on the base to access the beach. Once on, it is super simple to get to and there is a very nice recreation area. You can even rent beach front cabins that have kitchens and are really super clean. If you have an RV, you can also rent an RV Spot right on the beach for like $55 per night, full hook-up.

There is a very large jetty that goes around the front of the inlet. Good waves crashing on our trip, but with a little calmer water it looks VERY fishy on the seaward side. We saw several people fishing on the inlet side, with one couple saying they caught some bass. Full marine in the inlet with a boat ramp and fuel.

The beach was void of anyone fishing. I'm not sure if this is because very few people fish, or no fish? It's perfectly legal to fish, but it does require an additional base fishing permit, which costs $10 and can be purchased at the Base Exchange. It runs concurrent with the state license, so renewal in Jan. No proration.

We ran into a fellow who said he used to fish the beach and reported that his sons and he did well on the north end for spots and beans, yfc. Said the Jetty produced a good variety of fish as well. It's interesting, but the marina told us that the jetty is accessible and you can walk all the way out to the end, and when we walked out there, there is even a path that makes the walk very easy. No rock hoping. We saw people on the jetty as well, but there is a sign that reads to not go because of dangerous condition. Dunno?

Sorry I didn't get more detailed pictures. Didn't really think about it till after we left. This one is from the jetty looking north.

Pendleton Beach.JPG

Jetty:
    Pend Jetty.jpg

#1 Baywolf, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,843
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Jetties are dangerous in conditions like yesterday.. tall, short interval waves from multiple directions can sweep even experienced anglers right off of rocks, cliffs and jetties.. that said, if you fished that thing like I fish LJ, north Jetty or the cliffs, I am very certain some tanker rock donkeys would be available.. maybe yellowtail even, if you timed it right

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  3. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +752
    Name:
    Perry
    Maybe we can time a trip up together if you're interested. I can check to see what's needed to sponsor someone on base if needed.

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,843
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Come and fish LJ or the jetty with me.. you will catch on quick..

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +752
    Name:
    Perry
    For sure! Thanks for the invitation. We will definitely take you up on it!

6. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +752
    Name:
    Perry
    Does anyone know if there are any sand crab on Pendleton beach? Or if there is a place close by to purchase some bloodworms?

Also, would pitching a LC off the jetty be effective? Just looking at ways to fish this area.

7. K-Bo Smack

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,555
    Name:
    Keath
    Bloodworms available at Pacific Coast Bait & Tackle. Lugworms at Angler's Tackle. Both are in Oceanside.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Baywolf

Ratings:
    +752
    Name:
    Perry
    Excellent!!!
    Thanks. I want to have a pretty well stocked arsenal when I go!

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,843
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    If you want some panfish, chum doesn't hurt any..

10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,093
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Miles of open water , no others fishing , sounds like a no brainer to me . Just read the water and find the structure , you will do well . Can not imagine that there is not any sand crabs a sharp eye at low tide will let you know that . Good Luck ! WR

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Gabemorales

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +442
    Name:
    Gabe
    This is awesome. Thanks for posting this! My brother and I have been scoping this area via google earth and skeptical about it. Very informative and good to know there’s a path. North Jetty is a pain... might have to make the trip up soon!

12. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,093
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Could not help looking on G.Ee Sat. as well . About 2 KM north of where you took the picture , facing north , there is a really good looking River / lagoon mouth , pretty sure it would be a good section if it is allowed . So cool to be able to check out new ground . WR

13. Lipripper

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +397
    The river / lagoon mouth is a no-go. Make sure that you know where you can and cannot go on Camp P. There is a fish and wildlife "warden" on Camp P and you can call and get ahold of them to see what is accessible. Also doesn't hurt to get in contact with "long rifle" (the handle for range control) and make sure there aren't any live fires going on. There are some very remote lakes on the north east side of Camp P that I can tell you with certainty, hold some nice bass. There is also a beach on the north side of the base, San Onofre beach (not the one in San Clemente). It gets very little traffic as it is on the grunt side of base. Less people, and less people that have time to go to the beach. I have fished the Camp P side of San Onofre beach and had some awesome bean/yfc/sfc/bsp days. I can almost guarantee you will be the only one fishing up there. Like I said though just make sure that you talk with the "warden" first. Unlike CDFW elsewhere, they are normally very polite, informative, and helpful. PM me if you have any other questions.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  14. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,843
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    If you can, get some frozen shrimp from Zion (or H mart, Lucky Seafood, 99 ranch etc, all inferior to Zion tho)... Shrimp is a DEADLY jetty and rocky area bait. There are times it doesn't work well though, like if there are a million blacksmith in front of you, so I always try to have a backup plan just in case. In my mind, the prime time to fish those types of areas is a low incoming tide at sundown. This might mean mussels could be on the bait/chum list too, an excellent bait in their own right...

15. C-takagi

C-takagi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    i know there's a sand crab bed right next to the jetty on base, and several more shifting around along the beach.

specifically, the big bed next to the jetty is right where your picture of the beach is

#15 C-takagi, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    if you go a little ways along the jetty, on the seaward side, there's a big cluster of mussels mixed with goose barnacles too, and big ones too. keep your ears open when you're collecting them, you'll hear the waves breaking on the jetty ahead of you, and you can use that as an early warning

17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,843
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Money right there.. bait, chum, hell, food too

18. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    I've been waiting until winter & the shellfish advisory drops, they're absolutely eating size

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  19. C-takagi

Ratings:
    +190
    Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    i wish
    the path breaks down about 1/3 the way down the jetty and becomes broken asphalt, 2/3 the way to the end, there's no path left

you can see the breakdown if you look at google earth

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  20. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +38,843
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    About fifty yards farther than the end of the asphalt is probably where the money is if it follows typical jetty patterns

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List