Screen Repeatedly Forced To Bottom

Discussion in 'Announcements, Support and Feedback' started by MattL, May 8, 2018.

1. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Name:
    MattL
    Whenever I open a new thread, there's some element that forces my screen down towards the bottom of the page. It typically happens multiple times before whatever's loading fully loads and I can scroll to the top and have it stay there. Any idea how to resolve this?

2. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    When you click on a thread that you've already visited it'll automatically take you to the first unread post in the thread.

If its a completely new thread that you've never visited before, then it shouldn't do that. And the only thing that might cause the page to "bounce around" would be the ads as they load (they load last after the page content loads).

If neither of these make sense with what you're saying, can you go to What web browser are you using? Is it up to date? and scroll to the bottom, fill out your name and email in the form input and click on "Send via email"? That'll send me some parameters about the device you're using so that I can try to duplicate the issue or troubleshoot it.

3. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    So you're saying that it started you at the top, you scrolled down, and then it bounced you back up to the top?

4. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    This is what I described above. It takes you to the first unread post (for you) on a thread. So if its a thread you've already read before, it may take you to the 15th reply down the page because that was the first one that was made since you last visited the thread. If its a brand new thread, it takes you to the top of the page (the first post in the thread).

If you scroll before the page finishes loading it will return you to that point its "supposed" to be. Most websites load the "above the fold" content first (what you first see when you go to a page) so it might appear like the page has loaded entirely when in fact it hasn't.

So that "2.5 second" period you're talking about is just the time between the above the fold content loading and the entire page loading. If you wait for the entire page to load, you can move around freely without "bouncing" around.

If you have fast internet you really shouldn't notice much, if any of this. It'll also be more noticeable on pages that contain a lot of photos or posts because those take longer to load.

5. AzImport

AzImport Living Customs Violation
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,991
    Don't typically notice this on my browser, but it happens a ton on my phone. And generally lands me far from where the new post is. It'll bounce from top to bottom to middle to approximating where it wants to land. And then I get control back again.

6. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,854
    It's unrelated to that, more a product of "responsive" ad sizes. Previously our ad sizes were set in the code of the page so that a blank space was "reserved" for the ad during the page load. Now that there is such a disparity in screen sizes that's not a viable way to present ads. Smaller screens (like phones) generally get smaller or less ads, etc... Therefore the sizes of the ads aren't determined until the page is loaded and the screen space is determined.

Yeah, the smaller the screen the more noticeable it'll be.

7. MattL

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,566
    Name:
    MattL
    It happens in posts I have never opened, as well as old posts. Forces my screen somewhere near the bottom of the thread between two and five times before it will finally relinquish control to me and stay in one spot. Ultimately a minor issue but can be seriously aggravating in the moment, and occurs regardless of device used.