SD Bay Spotties and a Big! Surprise

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by RonLI, Sep 23, 2019.

1. RonLI

RonLI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    My GF and I took a skiff out of Seaforth this past weekend to fish spotties. We had a pretty decent day fishing half day Fri and half day Sat. Got about 25 Friday and 20 on Sat fishing brown and yellow swimbaits. Now the real story....

On Friday, we moved over by the bridge and we had been getting some consistent bites. My GF hooks a fish and she is struggling with it and I realized she might have something more than a bay bass. After several minutes this dark shape starts to come up and I thought it was a large bat ray. Then I realize it's brown, not black. Slowly a huge halibut comes up. Now I know some will say this is a fish story but I am going to say this halibut was one of the biggest I have ever seen, I'm guessing somewhere around 4'. I know the water magnifies, so let's say it was at least 3 1/2'. Easily 20-25 plus pounds. She is fishing 10# test and I have no net, so I realize this is not going to be easy or maybe even doable. This beast slowly comes to the surface and then flips it's tail making a huge splash and dives down. She had a lot of pressure on the fish so it was a shock when a 10-11" Spottie comes shooting out of the water still on her line. Turns out this beast of a halibut had tried to swallow her SBB whole then spit the bass at the surface and took off. Needless to say, we were both stunned. First time I really wish I had a GoPro because, I hardly believed it happened!

• Like Like x 21
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  2. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +451
    I believe it! I've had a few times this past year of giant halis cruise inches away from my hooked spotties near the surface, quite the experience

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,240
    Similar happened to me at harbor island, I believe ya ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. 5-20

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,475
    Similar fish story from when I fished lake austin back in Texas and it was full of big bass from 10-15 lbs. It’s not really uncommon for big bass in the 5-10 pound range to try to eat smaller bass in the 6” to 12” range that people are reeling in.

One day I had a 10 and a 9 out of a Wolfpack but I think I had a shot at the biggest bass in that pack and maybe even the whole lake. My first or second fish was a “small” 2 pounder that was still probably a good 16” or so. An absolutely massive bass tried to eat it while I was reeling the fish in. That fish looked like it could have been one of those 13-16 pound fish. Oh well. That fish only tried to take one bite out of the smaller fish and then just disappeared. Too bad it didn’t really try to pursue it harder.

5. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Sounds like it is time to rig a large swim bait or plug in SBB pattern at or near the bottom. Thanks for the report ! Wr

#5 William Ritchie, Sep 24, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  6. special k

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +570
    Name:
    stan
    Boat:
    aluminum
    Big Corvina will do the same thing!!! I had a very large Corvina destroy a 15" halibut in the south bay.

7. rockzilla

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +591
    Make and carry a small gaff with you, boat, kayak or float tube.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    By Law you need to have a net capable of non harmfull release in any craft . WR

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  9. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,975
    This is a great report. I’ve seen and heard of several reports of the same type deal over the last few years. 4 years ago my cousin came across a dead 20lb striper laying on the shore at lake Powell. The Striper had tried to swallow a 2lb. Walleye, and it was stuck in the big stripers throat, killing them both. Doesn’t have anything to do with your Halibut scenario, but it just reminded me of it. ( Alligator mouth over eating it’s Canary Arse ). So to speak...

10. Mike maio

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,795
    Name:
    Bigheat
    Very believable. Cooper caught his 35 inch hali on a fairly large live mackerel. I am sure those huge halibut in the bay are feeding on some bass or even croaker from time to time. They are opportunistic fish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,894
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Don't forget the greatest halibut and leopard bait ever, lizardfish

12. Cobra89

Cobra89 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    EA29A0A1-8103-404A-8FA0-4FC0A86455DB.jpeg Same thing happened to me in the south bay this past February in about 10 feet of water. Hooked into something I couldn’t stop with 10# line. Kayak was pulled around for ten minutes with kind of a start and stop motion, no super hard or long runs. Finally it started to come off the bottom, goes light and all I see is a 10 or 11” SBB on the line. But it’s 4th dorsal spine was broken and there was a light, semi circle scrape on one side of the body. I was thinking maybe an angel shark since there were no cuts like a halibut would inflict. At least you got to see your monster, that’s awesome.

13. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,668
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Didn’t realize that. Which F&G Code is that?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Took 20 minutes to get to reply , Fish and game code Title 14 Section 28.65 paragraph (D) . I was reading from the book so no link, basically net has to be 18 inch opening and needs to be available for immediate use on " Any Craft " or " floating device " . WR

#14 William Ritchie, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. FoodGeekFish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +127
    And depending on how particular a warden chooses to be, "available for immediate use" means that if it's a collapsible net it must be opened/extended etc.

"No person shall take finfish from any boat or other floating device in ocean waters without having a landing net in possession or available for immediate use to assist in landing undersize fish of species having minimum size limits; the opening of any such landing net shall be not less than eighteen inches in diameter."

#15 FoodGeekFish, Sep 27, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2019