SD River Float Tube?

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Mario20, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Mario20

Mario20 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey just wondering were the good spots are to float tube the SD river? I live in Mission Valley so maybe there are some good spots around here. Also what are the go too baits and any techniques that would be helpful. I keep hearing its dangerous as well, anybody want to clarify that for me. Thanks for the help guys.

2. Jimmyz123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +131
    You'll probably have more luck trying this spot out than I will.

Do you know where the Kaiser Buildings are there on San Digo Mission Road? There is a nice pond out behind the Kaiser Buildings there that looks nice. I have not had a chance to check it out, but the parking is nice and it's not that long of a walk to the water.

I'm sure that you could go on a Saturday and have the parking lot all to yourself.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    MCR(Misson Center Road) is a for sure tubing spot so far as being excellent for bass. It's in the Mission Valley area. 4-6" plastics(purple colored) and also small black or blue spinners work great. Fish the plastics tight into the tullies. If you fish the spinners, cast them along the tullies, let them sink to the bottom and then start a slow steady retrieve, just make sure you get the spinner to spin.

As far as it being unsafe, I myself have never had or heard of any problems with that area. I usually fish there either in the afternoon or gray light. If you try it out, be sure to post a report and let us know how ya did!! Good luck to you.B)

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The river is only a problem at night, when the homeless and unknowns are out more. People generally won't bug you during the day, and if you're worried, bring a friend and you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Make sure to wear waders or at least some clean water, the river can be pretty nasty.

5. steveperry

steveperry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I tube MCR pretty often. I have never had a problem during the day. I don't stick around too long after the sun sets though. Mostly cause thats when Swamp Thing some out to feed and he scares the hell outta me. I don't worry about the homeless too much. I launch right by the road though. No bush wacking for me. The few homeless I have ran in to are pretty harmless. The one legged guy in the wheel chair and the "I like tacos" guy are pretty friendly, and have never hit me up for anything.

Here is what I like to use one the mighty SD river:

Spinnerbaits. I like white with willow blades. With the stained water I'm sure colorado blades would do well also. Like EZ said, let 'em sink to the bottom, then roll them along slowly.

Crankbaits. I love me some damn Rattle Traps.

Jigs. River2Sea Yabby Craw is my favorite. I throw 'em anywhere that looks fishy.

Worms. I like 4 inch and 7 inch Robo's in Aarons Magic. Drop-shottin the 4 inch and t-rig or dead stickin' the inch has always done me right.

If you see a big dumb white guy in a cheap *** U-Boat 2000, say hi.

6. topwater

topwater Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    okay Ill be the dumb one but Im new, where is the SD river

7. pucker

pucker Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In San Diego :woohoo: :p

8. Macro

Macro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3
    You ain't from around here, is yuh? :huh:

Well, if what's been mentioned so far doesn't ring a bell (San Diego for one, Mission Valley, etc.), you might want to tell us where you and your keyboard are first so we can help.

Planet Earth
    United States of America
    California
    San Diego
    Mission Valley

that's it...
    where the water goes.

9. topwater

topwater Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just got stationed here at Camp Pendelton and Im living in Vista, I have a 20 foot Basscat but I was looking to do alittle tube fishing also

10. ol dirty basser

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +169
    If you live in Vista, the river is 30-45 minutes south of you, more if there's traffic. Give it a try to see whether you think it's worth the drive.

Get on Google maps satellite view or Microsoft Live Maps or whatever it's called, and look up the junction of the 8 and 163 freeways, and you should be able to see the river, just north of the 8. Most of the river lies east of that point It runs parallel to the 8 for a ways. It's mostly a broken series of pools connected by creeks.

There's a lot of info on the board regarding the river, use that, your imagination, and a little ambition and report what you find.

11. Hook1fred

Hook1fred Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Boat:
    Red Ranger
    you see thats how it should go....some of the prime (popular) river spots are RCP in santee (just behind the santee drive in, and the mission valley section by mimi's cafe, i'm sure there are others but these are the 2 most reported. I've only tubed RCP a few times and did pretty well definitely worth a shot

12. saltwaterangler

saltwaterangler Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i tube the river alot myself. i usually fish the rcp section closer to the actual rcp plant and the section of river behind the santee drive in. i have fished mcr but have never sone as well as the other two areas. my go to baits are

1. spinnerbait- white and chartruese simply because the river water is usually a little dirty. few foot visibility most times. just cast it around the structure and slow roll it.

2. sweet beaver- purple, brown, red or chartruese. peg the sinker(make sure its heavy enough to punch the cover) and pitch it into the tullie pockets let it sink then small lifts with the rod tip.

3. senko- any dark color(watermelon, black, pumpkin) pitch it into the tullie pockets as well. let it sink once, lift to see if anything picked it up. if not reel up and pitch to the next spot.

hope this helps

13. topwater

topwater Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys I guess Ill just have to drive down and try it

14. Primedizzle

Primedizzle New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I fished the area down on mission center today ...i got hit ..and my friend caught a little guy but then his float tube started to sink so we had to go....looked promising though...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hey my friend goes there alot. its totaly worth going. he says he sees some snakes :( but it i were to go i would throw a spinner bait, swim bait, and a worm, but personaly ive never been their

16. crawdadguy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,184
    if you live in vista...try guajome park..there are 2 lakes..I've tubed the back one...So. santa fe/highway 76

17. topwater

topwater Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know exactly where that is I drive by it on my way to work, I never even knew there were lakes back there. Thanks

18. topwater

topwater Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I went down to guajome park and looked at the big lake. It says no boats float tubes. I guess Ill have to ask the ranger's, if you can on the upper lake.

19. Dubz

Dubz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Take your Basscat out to Oneill Lake in Pendleton.If was stationed at Pendleton and owned a sweet sled like yourself I would fish there every day I possibly could,seriously.

No boats or tubes allowed in either pond.You will get kicked out so fast it'll make your head spin.I speak from experience on this.