SD River Sunday Morning Mission Valley 8-16

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Tony Vegas, Aug 16, 2020.

1. Tony Vegas

Tony Vegas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Went to the Mission Valley pond behind Best Buy to try and get some top water frog action this morning before sunrise, got there and started to get my tube ready while I listen the the sports radio guys talk. My tube was packed up from a trip recently and I had not taken it out and put back in the seat and back cushion. I got that all together and got some tackle with me to take along start pumping up tube, grab the fins, waders, turn the radio off, HISSSSSSSSSSSSS. Damnit. Go over and find a leak on my seam where the valve meets the air bladder. I did cause this error and am glad it happened here rather than my upcoming planned trip to Barrett in the near future. So I pack up the tube go to my launch spot and begin to throw out the frog for a bit. Welllll after about 40 mins working an area I decide to give it one more cast before I switch it up to a drop shot Worst cast Ive had all day. New frog gone. Fished it once besides today. No fish. Damn. Oh well. I pick up my drop shot rod and cast out. Boom. Hits on the fist cast and a buster on the reel up when the bait left the water on the second. Stayed for another 40 mins working same area and ended up with a dink. Glad I did tho. Put a smile on my face. First real drop shot fish on a plastic, 10k Fish 3 in. Shimmer Shad in purple. After that fish I stay for another 15 mins working the same area. Sun was up and I was ready to go. So I go to grab my poles, I turn my phone radio off, and then bend over to collect it all and almost drop the car key in the river. Not only that but its a 2 part key with a blade and fob and they come apart. Holy Sh*t this day couldn't get any worse. Found them both after looking frantically for another 10 mins but it I did! I did recently buy a lanyard phone case at rei for when I'm on the water so looks like a small one is needed for the key when I go out. Instead of the 20 dollar frog and 50 dollar bladder it was almost 10 times that with the key cost. Anyways here is that dink. Saw a good amount of activity for the time I was there and heard stuff that I couldn't see too. Wish I could've taken the tube out but glad I learned these lessons the easiest, and most painless way possible. IMG_1969.jpeg

2. VinnyBass

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,714
    Great reading....I like the way you write. Tight lines to ya. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Thanks man!

4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,140
    Rough day but at least no skunk! Any homeless encounters?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Not really today. Over near Best Buy those two ponds I haven't had any run ins yet. But as I was setting up a gentleman walking around with 2 backpacks at 545 am kept looking back at me while I was preparing my tube. I stared him down because he wasn't out for his morning coffee and walk. He kept looking back and I kept staring at him. Every time he looked at me he quickly looked away. Saying all that nothing happened. Except for my ineptness.

6. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +25,277
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    If it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all! ;)

7. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,689
    Sounds like most of my outings...way to stick it out..I see the vegetation getting thick when I drive by..hoping we don’t have a repeat of a few years ago when the weeds took over that part of the pond..it’s just now starting to make a comeback....if I’m out there before you I’ll look for that frog for ya...

Ps..aqua seal is only 10 bucks and will fix that tear..

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Thanks for the heads up....yeah i remember that....I used to live in the condos right there on the riverwalk

9. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Update: Outcast is going to replace the bladder for free

10. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,689
    fix the old one for a just in case backup

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    yeah going to be a tough fix but I'll pick up some aquaseal and give it a go. Still under warranty for the next 3 years

12. Pervin_Irvin

Pervin_Irvin Active Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Name:
    Irvin
    what kind of tube? A coleman? Waders or no waders?

Been wanting to get a tube to hit up that same spot

13. Tony Vegas

Ratings:
    +587
    Name:
    Tony Vegas
    Waders are a must in the river ponds I think. I have an Outcast FishCat 4 thing is great get you one check offer up CL on here in the classifieds FB market place and LetGo you can get a whole set up for cheap. That way if its not for you, you arent spending way too much and only able to recoup half of what you spent. get you some man

14. bendopolo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +608
    Sometimes “eyes and a wiggle” are good enough. That river was magic in the early 80s, but then again, so was Hodges. So many big dark Black Bass by the Stadium grounds. Float Tube and a bag of black power lizards were all you needed.