sd river

Discussion in 'Freshwater' started by BASSpwn17, Sep 9, 2019.

1. BASSpwn17

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +113
    Name:
    chris estorga
    is there still flow off mission trails?

2. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,276
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    There is a post regarding this with photos in the lounge , posted just a couple of hours before yours . From the photos evidently No on the flows . To bad for the system . WR

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. fishanddestroy

Ratings:
    +23
    i caught many bass there all the time still .there is also blue gill and carp in there

4. carpkiller

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,598
    290908 SD River dry bed.jpg
    (Edit: to be clear ...this is about the San Diego River in Mission Trails Regional Park. The photo is in the gorge below the parking lot at Mission Gorge Rd amd Jackson Drive.)
    This is a pool that has NEVER gone dry in the past 30 years. In fact, a little trickle of water has ALWAYS been flowing through from a little side creek just upstream and there's always been six or eight inches of water at the rocks in the background.
    This isn't climate change. It's the water being stored in an upstream reservoir so the wakeboarders' launch fees can be collected.
    On the plus side, there was ONE carp in a stagnant pool. And I saw what may have been a tiny green sunfish in a little puddle in the feeder creek. There's not even enough moisture in the ground along the main river to keep a crayfish alive in the mud. There's no mud. I guess we need to import some desert pupfish....maybe they can survive this manmade drought and be the base of a new food pyramid.
    Today's newspaper says our season-to-date rainfall is 2.5 inches above average. I guess if there are new wells draining the various aquifers upstream, or new dams for sand-mining or whatever....there's an explanation for why the SD River is being killed off.
    San V is at 270 feet deep today, with 306 feet being the max depth. I really don't know where the water's being held up..but it's a shame.

#4 carpkiller, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Serruchofish

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +295
    It went dry last year around the same time. I frequent that place often, as I live up the street. Edit: I went back and looked at my photos and although dry, it did have a trickle. I need to learn to finish reading a post before I respond

#5 Serruchofish, Sep 11, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  6. fishanddestroy

Ratings:
    +23
    my bad yall i thought he meant the river that ran down thru aero drive area !