1. Last day to order Spotted Bay Bass Shirts

Today is the last day to order the new Spotted Bay Bass SDFISH shirts. Available on short sleeves, long sleeves, or UPF 50+ rated fishing shirts.

Order Now

Dismiss Notice

SDFish taps an amazing resource on local lakes and fishing history

Discussion in 'Announcements, Support and Feedback' started by Kellen, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Kellen

Kellen Owner
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,193
    @Registered SDFish members,

I am stoked to announce that Jim Brown, former manager of the City Lakes Program, has stepped up and offered to help out the fishing community through SDFish in two new features on this website.

His contributions to SDFish will include "Lake Boy", a series of essays stretching from the distant past to contemporary issues, as well as a Q&A forum hosted here in which you can invite Jim to tackle any questions you might have or suggest a topic you'd like him to cover.

His very first post in the "Lake Boy" series was published this morning, offering a tale of the very first opening day of Sutherland back in 1955 called Sutherland Opener Revisited.

Quick links to content:
    A little about Jim Brown, and why this is such an AMAZING opportunity for all of us...

Over his 70 years as a native San Diegan, including 65 of them as an avid fisherman, Jim Brown describes himself as someone who has fished most bodies of water in and around the county that hold fish, and all of those that don't.

At the age of eight and at the side of his father who is remembered as one of the region's top bass anglers during the 1950's and 60's, Jim was on hand when El Capitan and Sutherland experience their first opening days in 1955. Although his family resided in Golden Hill and beginning when he was 12, Jim spent all school vacations working for room and board by living with the family of the Sutherland Dam Keeper.

After performing a variety of jobs on the dock, around the lake and in the concession, he was moved to take over the dock operations at Lower Otay when he was 19, and literally lived on the boat dock during the fishing season while also attending college.

After two years at Otay he went away to Humboldt State College where he admits his academic demise came as a result of too much time fishing and too little time studying. Shortly after returning to San Diego he was hired by the city as a Recreation Leader in Barrio Logan and was later chosen to open and operate Chollas Lake as a kids only fishing facility in 1971. In 1974, he was hired to manage the San Diego City Lakes Program which he did for 29 years before retiring in 2003, and it was in that role that he became most familiar to many SD Fish members.

Others may remember Jim from the time when he worked as a deckhand for legendary Captain Mel Shears, the fishing classes he taught at UC San Diego or San Diego State. Other may only know Jim from moonlighting as an outdoor writer which included periodic features and over a decade of weekly columns for the San Diego Tribune as well as free lance work for Western Outdoor News, Field and Stream and Outdoor Life. Still others might remember hearing Jim as a co-host of the All Outdoors Radio Network.

The point of all this is to introduce Jim Brown as a contributor to SDFish by explaining that he has been involved in San Diego fishing for almost his entire life, and that his haunts locally have ranged from stock ponds to large reservoirs, from bays to lagoons and from the tiniest of streams to the Pacific Ocean.

• Like Like x 41
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. PowayRamFan

PowayRamFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Ok, I am a sucker for this kind of stuff and I can't wait to read the whole book. Thanks for putting this up.

3. SageBug

SageBug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +215
    Name:
    Jason
    Wish gramps was alive, he helped build Barret, Otay and even Hoover.. Had a ton of stories but I was too young to remember them all. I'll always remember his tale of a Volkswagen-sized catfish he saw. lolol..
    Look forward to the reading!

4. GJC

GJC Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +6
    So cool, My Grandpa was a good friend with him back in the day. Use to see Jim at lake Jennings in the early '80s when Grandpa took us fishing there.

5. diegofish

diegofish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456
    Well my grandpa didn't fish but Im looking forward to a good read.

6. Queue

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +253
    Boat:
    SR-18
    Mr Brown helped me get in touch with Mr Botroff where I collected samples for my senior project at HSU. Through that I met the Senior Biologist for CDFW and an opportunity with a Sci-aide job which led to a Reservoir Biologist position. I owe Mr Brown a thank you for helping me start my journey and I look forward to his contributions here.