SDG&E, TOU

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Larry M, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M
    This is just my opinion.
    SDG&E wants you to crank up your AC units to pre-cool your house early in the day. Then just use fans between 4 and 9 PM. This will make more profit for them if people use the Time of use plans (TOU.) By people using more power in the early part of the day it will make up for the lower usage in the evening. So really they aren't out anything. It just makes people feel good that they are saving energy while all the time SDG&E isn't out of anything. They are however saving their money by not building more peak generation stations. They are squeezing every dime out of the existing equipment without building anything new.
    We run the AC durning the day and late afternoon. Then when the outside temperature drops we start up the whole house fan. Same thing for the early morning hours to bring in the cooler air. We have the ac set at 78 so it doesn't kick in until about 1 or 2 pm.
    I'm all for conservation but not at the expense of SDG&E customers to conserve while they just sit on their money and not build anything to help with the situation. As more homes are being built the power consumption will go up.
    Their answer to the situation will probably be like in the past, rolling brown outs. That will cost them less in profits then building new peak generation stations.
    Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

#1 Larry M, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  2. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,348
    It sure does seem fishy to me that they are charging more in that window of time - which happens to be when most people are home using electricity.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,661
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    I’m not a customer of PG&E. IID furnishes our power, but there are now 18,000 acres of solar panels in what used to be farm land :emoji_rage:, much of which belongs to SDG&E. I have heard there is actually an abundance of power during the sunlight hours but lacking after the sun goes down.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    i am running my pool pump all night because of TOU. the sun was out the last time i checked at 4:00 pm but not at 2:00 am , thats when it should be most expensive, its working for me. my bill is 80.00 a month lower now with this TOU.
    Im sure that wont last.

HAHA
    you cant win

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,348
    If I'm correct, there was a time that SDG&E said there is less usage due to the increase of solar panels, therefore rates need to go up. At least I know Padre Dam said this after people were minimizing water usage to conserve.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I don't believe that SDGE is trying to SAVE anything , they know that people use the most in the evenings Hence they will charge nearly double per KWH as other times Base rate $ .26 off hours IE 4 - 9 pm $ .55 per KWh. The only thing they hope to save is their profits to stock holders . Yes the consumer can use cleaner energy while it is being produced , I cannot say because I have not studied the figures on how much power is produced by solar and wind on an hour per hour basis . but it makes sense that when the sun goes down so does solar production , however wind rarely takes a holiday in most of the areas that have been " donated " on our public land for that use . I have had a solar array since 2006 and so far outproduce my daily needs , that may change now that the money comes out of the overage bank at a a much higher rate . The part that I don't care for is legislation to let these energy giants of the hook when there equipment causes catastrophic fires . We already pay for the fire control for people that build or buy in high fire areas without taking responsibility themselves for when it goes up in smoke . Bankrupt insurance companies and power companies that will be able to say " ITS NOT OUR PROBLEM " is BUl@ SH*T . Sorry for the RANT . NOT REALLY , Bill

#6 William Ritchie, Jul 21, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I am unfamiliar with the working arrangements of the lease agreements with land owners and power companies . As a farmer yourself , do you know if the land makes more money when put to energy use by the farmers than when farmed ? Or are these former BLM properties that reverted away from AG production ? Just curious .

8. Mogambo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,661
    Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    19 foot Sea Pro
    Some of the acreage is leased by farmers for 35 years. And yes, they make a lot of money up front but not sure if it’s more than if they farmed it for those 35 years. Other farmland is purchased outright by the solar companies. For sure those 18,000 acres that are not farmed hurt the economics of the IV which is driven by ag. Lots of jobs installing the solar field (mostly electricians from out of the Imperial Valley). That only lasts a year. Then for the term of the lease there’s lost ag jobs, lost sales of oil, fuel, tractor parts, water, sprinkler pipe and pumps, etc, etc. They choose the ag land for solar installations because they want to be close to the main power lines that traverse the IV plus there’s less permitting since ag land is classified as disturbed ground as opposed to BLM ground. I can’t think of any BLM permitted ground that has a solar installation on it even though there is plenty of areas it would work, except for the more expensive permitting which lots of time and money.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M
    That's why they want people to do their chores in the day light hours because of cheaper power.
    But how many working people are home during those hours? It makes for a good slogan though.
    So when nobody is home crank up that AC unit to pre-cool your house so that their revenue can go up. Then when you get home set the temperature back up to 78 so that later in the evening it will kick it. Sounds like a money saving plan to me.
    Your bill will probably go up if they would build more peak plants. The PUC will help with that. But on the other hand SDG&E would cry to them to raise rates because people are conserving and they aren't raking in the money like they use to. All utilities do this. I would rather pay a higher bill and have more power available than pay a higher bill because more people are conserving energy and not have enough energy to run things on my schedule. But then that's just me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I think they are trying to retire most of the Peaker Plants to meet air quality issues . While the plants are efficient and burn natural gas , the turbine engines have a bad time on startup and produce about 30 times the allowed NOX emissions during warmup . I have read that it takes about 2 - 3 hours of running time for them to get to top efficiency . With the power demands as they are they would have to be started more times per week , month , year making a situation with compliance . If they could start and leave them running would be a different story . May help explain some of the reasoning for the hype , the advertising is probably a good thing , at least SDGE can say we told you so . Cheers

11. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,514
    Boat:
    Montauk
    And as fire season gets into full swing here, I read this:

“…Pacific Gas & Electric, which already charges among the highest electricity rates in the country, is requesting that regulators approve an additional charge to customers of $2 billion over the next three years to help pay for wildfire safety improvements and other costs.

This is separate from the compensation fund approved last week, which includes more than $10 billion in costs to be borne by customers in the form of a levy on electricity bills for the next decade and a half.

And none of this will help pay the tens of billions of dollars in liabilities the company has for past fires where its equipment was involved.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/22/...Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage#commentsContainer

And if we have a third year of catastrophic wildfires in the state I predict a large number of home insurers will pull up stakes and leave the market altogether. While climate change may be a “hoax” to some, insurance companies tend to look at risk factors objectively. They’re not in business to lose money.

I've been seeing areas of the state where homeowners/fire insurance is exorbitantly priced or worse -- simply unavailable. What a mess…

(As I think of possible solutions, Florida comes to mind. After several devastating hurricanes causing billions in damage, the legislature, insurers, etc finally came up with plan involving beefed up building codes, wind pools, etc. I wonder if CA might have to come up with something similar).

12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M
    I admit I don't really know that much about peak plants. I was an electrical substation electrician for SDG&E. But not too long they put a peak station on line in the Otay Mesa area, way out on the east end. They sold their old power plants a very long time ago, South Bay and Carlsbad because they wanted to get out of the generation business and just be a power broker. They still own and maintain the substation part of the power plant.
    Then they started building the peakers. I believe that they will still build more just not fast enough.
    I paid more attention to the commercial again and they showed the pre-cooling temperature setting at 67. That will jack up your bill.
    Remember when they said not to set your AC temperature below 78 to save energy? How times have changed. LOL.
    Dang auto correct, I had to reread my post a couple of times because it keeps changing some of the words that I typed!

13. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M
    Speaking of wildfires, remember when the two state or countries where bumping heads. One agency told the people in the east country to cut down the native plant growth more then a 100 foot minimum. Then the other agency said that you would be fined if you did that. Talk about government working together to help protect your home.

On the power utilities being liable for starting fires here's what limited knowledge I have on the subject.
    I was part of a crew that would install mini weather stations in the substations in the east county. These weather stations would send weather conditions information back to a SDG&E meteorologist. This was especially important during the red flag warning times. He or she would advise the people who controlled the power grid about the wind conditions in different areas. The back country didn't have remote control ability to turn off circuit breakers so they would send out one electrician to each of the back country substations to turn off the power to certain areas in case the wind might bring down the power lines. I was one of those bad guys. I usually was stationed at the Buckman Springs substation.
    Now I'm not defending SDG&E on the lawsuit part. But they were trying to read the conditions and turn off power lines to potential danger areas. But people started to complain about it. But if a power line fell down and causes a fire the same people who say that it's the power companies fault. Kind of a no win situation for them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • List
  14. old_rookie

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,348
    That's like your auto mechanic saying he needs to raise the price of your oil change because he needs to put a safety fence around his pool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,840
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's how a circuit breaker works in a substation in case you have ever wondered why your power goes on and off in a short period of time.
    Useless fact #1.
    A circuit breaker will come back on three times by itself. The third time it trips it will lock out.
    The reason that it comes back on is to see if the fault has cleared. Sometimes the fault is just temporary. Usually something has fallen across two of the overhead lines. Palm fronds are notorious for this. The energy expelled from the fault is usually enough to knock the frond or some other object off of the wires. If it locks out then they have to send out a trouble man to turn the breaker back on.
    Sometimes this will take awhile in the east county because at times they will patrol the lines to see if any wires are down before turning the breaker back on.
    Useless fact #2
    They have an employee who regularly patrols the lines. He even goes up in a helicopter with a pilot to patrol the high voltage transmission lines.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  16. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    santee is the worst in the nation almost communist, all there vehicles have california exempt license plates, claim a private business, in the park. aqua culture permit for no dfg fishing license needed. park fees fees higher then anyone else.there water rates are higher then any other city.
    santee gets under my skin, i was there when Bill Mast was donating land for ballfields and parks. once it became a city they chased the money. big business. dont try to open a business there, its impossible

17. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,420
    I'm happy to say it again.. First day of Business class.. I was fairly intoxicated, but I will never forget the very first thing my professor said to us.. "Remember this because it will be the first question on the last exam I give you.. Businesses are in business to make money. Any business that tells you anything different, is lying."

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  18. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
    Santee, then and now...
    upload_2019-7-23_7-5-36.png

19. Bobber

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,563
    Turning off power to properties in rural areas is ********. Instead of lining their shareholders pockets SDG&E should be putting some of that money into their systems. Forcing customers into hardship while they get richer makes me sick. People who live in town with their uninformed comments on the subject are the worst. "What's the big deal? Just go to Wal Mart and buy more food." "Go off the grid, then you won't have to worry." "Buy a whole home generating system" "Why did you move out there in the first place? You knew thay were going to turn the power off". "Stop whining. It's just a minor inconvience". Pleeeease.

Most of the people living here have lived here all their lives or damn close to it. A large percentage of them are low income - VERY low income. They can't just go to Wal Mart and replace all their food! They get paid once a month and that money is GONE. They already bought their food for the month. Many of them do not own cars and can't afford to "Go stay in a motel". The can't afford solar. Where is that money coming from? The can't afford a generator let a lone a whole home system. Most of the homes out here have wells and pumps. Pumps don't work without power. That means not only do they have no power they have no water. No water for their kids and many have live stock. These animals aren't luxury animals they are chickens, goats, cows, they have them so they will have milk and eggs. Most families the low income ones more likely have gardens. How do you water your garden with no water? How do you get three kids ready for school? Out here when they turn the power off everyone is busy. Busy checking on our neighbors, hualing water, taking them food. Giving them rides they never needed before. And what are those fat cats from SDG&E doing? They are pressuring are little local stores who are also without power to GIVE them water so they can go on the news and tell the dumbass city folk that believe them that they are helping those without power. Oh yeah they also pass out little packs of cookies!

I could go on longer, relay more sickening stories, and give more opinions about SDG&E but I think you get my drift.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Daddo,
    Nice picture, I went to Santana and across the street where smart and final is now , was a horse stable. There were no bridges over the San Diego river, magnolia, cuyamaca, carlton hills , old mission gorge road.
    Place sure has changed , to crowded for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.