SDG&E, TOU

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Larry M, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,839
    Name:
    Larry M
    Bobber I can see you points, and believe me I'm not here to defend SDG&E. But working for them for 45 years I can see what they are doing.
    Wind storms play havoc with power lines, just look at what it does to your property. Something blows into a wire and knocks it down it sparks and starts a fire before the circuit break trips out.
    SDG&E pays outside crews to clear brush and trim trees near wires and poles in the back country, also trees in the city.
    Improve the system? Not much can be done when the wind blows something into the power lines. I guess everything could go underground, imagine the cost of that. At lease when the power is turned off in certain areas people will still have their homes to come back to when it's restored. City folk have problems also when the power was turned off during the rolling brown outs because there wasn't enough reserved power to meet the demands so certain areas were turned off then turned on and shut off somewhere else.
    We used to live in the San Jacinto mountains so I know where you are coming from. We had back up water stored, food, and cords of fire wood.
    You have to be prepared for where you live. Lightning would take out power lines all the time. Living in the mountains service wasn't restored as fast as the cities. Want to live in the back country or mountains then be prepared for any contingency whether the power is out because SDG&E turned it off or for some other reason the results are the same, no power.
    Still love ya, nothing personal.

2. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,416
    Bad case of HGS.. (Hunter/Gatherer Syndrome). He was out doing man-stuff with his buddy.. totally unprepared, naturally.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Daddo

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,373
    I grew up on Hartland Circle which is across Mast from the Luthern Church starting in 1963. Such a cool place to grow up with the hills and sand pits. Ride across Mast on the motorcycle and you were in the hills. My first fish was Lake 5 by the pump house. Little League picnic 1968. Miss it all. Santana here too.

4. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    TOU is sure working for me, super off peak is 12-6 am .16 cents a hwh off peak 26 cents 4-9 46 cents.
    Tiered prices were 55 plus cents every hour in the high tiers all day and night so running a pool .once I was halfway through the month I was in top tiers paying top rates regardless of time, there was no way to save.
    What I see is it was a way to get to the people with solar. Before you buy the panels you match the consumption on how many panels you need, in tiered pricing that worked , if there was ever a charge it was small being in tier 1 . Now if your not producing as much as using in peak 4-9 your paying at a higher rate.too.

#26 fishnfreak, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  5. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,839
    Name:
    Larry M
    Everyone has to look at their situation as to which plan to use.
    People with solar are only billed once a year. From what I have read people with solar are better off staying with the old plan because SDG&E pays them more for the power that they produce then going to the other TOU plans. Actually they don't pay you directly but give you credits. This is just what I have read when deciding which way to go. But who knows.
    Since we are unemployed we use our appliances during the day. Being in the north county inland we use the AC in the afternoon and evenings. We are consuming power then, but when it cools down later on in the year and the AC is not running we will be producing more power then we use so after a year when they bill us they owe us credits.
    When I chose to stay with the original plan they notified us that we could be going into a higher pricing range for excessive usage, but at the end of the one year billing period we come out ahead.
    The only thing is that I'm consuming power when they want me to cut back.
    Be it right or wrong I'm looking out for me not them.
    Everyone has to crunch the numbers to see what works best for them. I'm glad that you found the plan that works best for you. That's all that we can do under the current conditions.

6. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,839
    Name:
    Larry M
    Here's a comparison with the AC running and without the AC running as long during the day.
    You can see how they pretty much cancelled each other out.

Screenshot_20190804-135852_SDG&E-324x576.jpg

Screenshot_20190804-135809_SDG&E-324x576.jpg

#28 Larry M, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  7. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    You are right what i have been reading there is a grandfather clause if you have had solar from 2016 and before .You can keep tiered rates for 20 yrs, after 2016 thru March 2018 there's a 5 year clause and after that its TOU. Tiered rates is what started the solar boom , I make 1000kwhs I use a 1000 kegs no charge now there changing the game, they are charging more when people are not producing as much as the consume

8. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,839
    Name:
    Larry M
    It's 20 years from the time your system went on line. I believe.
    It's funny how at the beginning they were all for it, then changed their minds when it had an effect on their bottom line.
    Now these same genius are going with TOU until that starts costing them again.
    I don't trust any of them. LOL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. fishnfreak

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +881
    Couldn't agree more, you said it. What ever is good for them. It was the same back in the old days getting a satellite antenna free cable then came digital
    The tou helps a guy with a pool, I can run it when it's the cheapest. The things have to run alot of hours each day. But I bet most with pools went solar to save the high costs.

10. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,839
    Name:
    Larry M
    We bought one of those 10 foot satellite dishes from Costco. It was great except for aligning to a different satellite to watch something else. But it was free.
    I'm glad that they went to digital tv, it helped us. Before we really didn't receive tv stations here. Now we get HDTV super clear and got rid of cable with the over the air antenna.

11. Linebig

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,087
    Boat:
    Stratos 185XL Pro
    We have solar so SDG&E can Kiss it. Best thing we ever did. Its not for everyone, it sure was for our family.

However...... By opening the windows early, around 6:30am before work then and airing the house out. Then closing it up and cooling my house early in the day on auto-low fan AC at 76-78 degrees, it does help greatly later. It keeps the walls cool and thats huge! I live in the east county with a south west facing home. Its total clear view hot sun on the front of the house all day every day from 9:00am till 7:00pm. Which is why solar is great for us. :)

If you allow your exterior and interior walls to heat up from having the sun beat on them all day its almost impossible to cool them down. You’ll turn the house into an oven even with the AC going. You’ll need to blast it to make it comfortable. If it shuts off.....Its hot instantly from walls holding the heat. Sleeping can be horrible at night when the walls are cooking you.

It may sound like a gimmick... it works for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. Larry M

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,839
    Name:
    Larry M
    We have a whole house fan.
    We do the same thing in the morning to bring in the cooler air. Then when it cools down in the evening we start it up again.
    Costco sells those duel window fans and they work really well at night for bringing in the cooler air into the bedroom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.