Seeker vs Calstar: Jigsticks

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by saltysocal, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Go to Jig Stick

1. calstar 90j or 100j

60.0%
  2. Seeker Ulua

40.0%
  1. saltysocal

saltysocal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Hello everyone on Sdfish,

Im Currently looking at the Seeker Pinhead Ulua 9'3 and the Calstar 90J.
    Through your guys' personal experience and knowledge what are the differences in the rod such as material, actions, the load on a jig, etc.
    Also which you stick would you guys prefer, If there is another stick worth looking at let me know. Im primarily using it to throw coltsnipers(60gm-100gm) , tady starman 112, and 7x. The rod will be paired up with a saltiga 40ha I just purchased at a garage sale in a retirement community AHHAAHAAHA.

2. Carterantebi

Carterantebi The Skunk Magnet
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,749
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    I’m partial to the glass 90j or btg90j from calstar. I’d go pull on both and see which feels better.

3. yellowtail

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +264
    Just buy both.cant go wrong with either rod .:emoji_relaxed:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. lone_wolf

lone_wolf The Birdsnest Whisperer
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,580
    90J might be the more popular choice due to popularity and a availability, but the ULUA’s are by far the more desired rod from what ive seen. Im a fan of both seeker and calstar, but lean slightly to seeker due to my preferences.

BTW, how much did you cop that dope saltiga 40H for??

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. DPevin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,907
    Name:
    Evin
    Boat:
    Kayak
    I like the Pinhead 93H myself. I don't have one yet, but my buddy has 2. I fish one when we are on the skiff together. Love it. Have fished everything from 80/100 gram snipers on it. To Reebs surface irons, tadys, dart specials, ect. It throws a lot of things well. I have even thrown poppers with a talica 12 on it before and it worked great.

That rod/blank will be my next purchase.

#5 DPevin, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  6. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +66
    $50 the guy living there was having a blowout sale on al his gear since he was moving back to Nebraska.

7. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,677
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    The Seeker Pinhead 93H is a bad azz stick, I used to have one and boy was it wicked. It's got a lighter tip but some nice back bone so you're fighting with about 75% of the rod which allows you to really work fish. I've been feeling the 90J and it feels like a solid rod, definitely a bit more backbone. I haven't taken a cast with it but I know the rod itself has a bit more back bone and a heavier tip. No idea what the rod feels like under a yellowtail.. definetly something to watch for as you don't want to be getting pinned by a 12lb yellowtail.. Something you need to take into account though is that the Saltiga 40H is a big reel.. you are going to want to use it as a heavy jig stick imo. I'd take a look at the Phenix Axis 909H-J 30-80.. to me it's a much better stick for throwing heavier jigs with some heavier back bone for it's extra length, and the heavier jig loads up the rod really well. I have the Fathom 30 on that rod which is more comparable to the 40H and it fits really well. Also it's a slightly lighter blank.

With which ever rod you are pretty much set to use anything though. I wouldn't use it for a popping rod as you should load that reel with a 40lb or 50lb 100 yard topshot of the stretchiest line you can find. I'd use Andies, Trilene Big Game, or Izorline 3X. I prefer braid for a poppers as it allows for more control over the popper itself, especially thre halco 135 size and similar sizes which have been the go to this year. Last year it was all about the big poppers.. now its the tiny stuff.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. Capt Ray

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,111
    Name:
    Ray
    Some really great information in that post.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +66
    How do you like the Phenix Axis 909hj ? Also how would you compare the way it loads up to the all glass rods Similar or way different. If you still had the pinhead what would be your go to jig stick the pinhead or the Axis for tossing a tady starman 112? Lastly what do you mean by getting pinned by a 12lb yellow tail, is it because there is too much backbone in the rod or ....

10. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +674
    My jigstick is a 90J my brother wrapped paired with a Torium 30. I'm able to launch heavier jigs like a Tady AA, 4/0, and flat falls pretty far. I've used it extensively this summer and last summer catching calicos, barricuda, and bonito and it feels great. No luck on finding YT on the trips I've been since it's only been used on 1/2 day trips. Lot's of backbone on the stick, makes it easy bouncing fish on board, along with plenty of load up on casts.

11. Fat Spottie

Fat Spottie Lord Pitmaster
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +12,677
    Name:
    None Either
    Boat:
    Big Metal One
    If you are solely sticking to a light jig, as in starmans, jri 7s, Tady 7x (if you can find them), and a salas 6x, I would go with the 93H. It’s tip is softer (as in faster action) so it will load up the rod better, but the backbone will really snap that lighter jig further. On the other hand, if you want to throw heavier jigs I'd use the the Axis 909HJ. The rod itself feels alot like the 90J in terms of action and backbone, BUT, the rod has MUCH heavier backbone to it. Same tip, different backbone. From using the rod the tip loads up pretty much all jigs really well, but can sustain heavier jigs unlike the 93H. The backbone is extremely solid as well, I've put quite the hurt on tuna up to 45lbs on it all thee way to some 40lb yellows.. it's a beast. The best way to put it in my opinion is that if you want a really good stick for lighter applications I'd use the 93H. If you want a stick that can do pretty much everything, use the 909HJ. In my opinion the Axis is a better yellowtail and tuna stick with it's heavier backbone, I personally like to fish really hard, and that rod suits me well. I'm not saying the 93H couldn't do the same job (it can with the exception of throwing heavier jigs and losing some distance with them), it was my first jig rod and I loved it. I just like the feel of the 909HJ more and it's heavier backbone and tip, and I like a heavier jig which is why I'd pick the 909HJ over the 93H. I don't know if there is a stigma on this site for Phenixs since they are made in China but all I know is that the long range folks love the rod.

When I say getting pinned by a 12lb Yellowtail it means you become pinned to the railing from the fish cornholing you. This is something the 10ft jig sticks are notorious for, and I know from a 1009H I own. The dilemma is that with length fish gain mechanical leverage on you, and the more mechanical leverage a fish has on your rod the easier to pull drag and basically lay keep away it's going to be. When this happens, and the fight becomes dragged out, fish start doing these death circles basically, and it pretty much will keep you pinned to the railing as you don't have enough leverage on your end to just work it. That's becoming pinned, better known as getting cornholed. To me, getting cornholed by anything under 50lbs is completely unacceptable. Okay maybe 40lbs but only if you are using bass gear.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  12. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +66
    Isn't the tady 4/0 a yoyo iron ?

13. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,749
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    ED0F5811-3671-4E58-AE20-720346AE69C7.gif

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. silentONE

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +674
    It is a yoyo iron.

15. Carterantebi

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +11,749
    Name:
    Carter
    Boat:
    Hobie Revo
    There’s also a “light” version of the 4/0 but it’s pretty hard to find.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. STiCKY

Staff Member SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,667
    Boat:
    Tube
    Glass 90J. I own all three sticks asked about and the 90j is the go to followed by a 6480. The Ulua is great but it's a meaty, heavy rod. The 100j is just a bit overkill in my opinion. My ulua was actually 10'2 and I cut it down to 9'6. All personal preference. Have caught nice fish on all 3 but absolutely love my 90j, its basically the only one I still fish.

17. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,856
    Uc1000monster, uc1000wahoo

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. saltysocal

Ratings:
    +66
    In the CE or GUSA ? Also you thoughts on the delmar ?

19. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,856
    "CE", Delmar is nice as well it's alittle on the lighter side for me. I have all four of 10'0s wahoo, Delmar, monster, and also use my mag for lighter jigs such as the c's, jpots. If I had to pick out only one it would be monster.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List