Seminar with Bill Hokstad aka Lawman

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by dj thrillz, Sep 3, 2019.

1. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,866
    This Saturday from 8:30am-9:30am at anglers arsenal in Lakeside.

For those of you who know Bill, you know what to expect from this seminar, and for those who do not know him, you won’t want to miss it. There is also a swap meet type of deal going on at the same time, so if you have some free time, make your way out there! The guy is a master behind crankbaits, and his knowledge of spotty/calico fishing is through the roof.
    So go learn something, maybe even buy something, or if you just wanna shake the hand of the so called SD Fish bully, as some have labeled him before he got the boot, head on out there. He has many cool stories, and like I said, he has tons of good info that everyone could benefit from. Show up, and tell him dj thrillz sent ya ;)

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  2. galen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,087
    Boat:
    15 ft Saturn raft
    Glad to hear he’s still at it, that guy knows his stuff. Maybe not the most humble guy but can definitely back up the talk when he has a rod and reel in his hand.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Catchalot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +480
    Boat:
    Catchalot
    OMG The Lawman!

4. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,771
    I haven’t said it in awhile, so I’ll say again, if you’re new to this site, go back into the vintage posts here starting around 2010 and read any posts from Paul The Great, Fishtrix, or lawman. Actually, just read any posts that have more than 10-15 comments on it. Hours of entertainment for sure. Oh man, testosterone filled braggarts having at it. Good stuff...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,408
    Oh man, those were the days right!? Countless times my legs fell asleep whilst 'coaching the browns to the superbowl'.....hahaha! Long Live Lawman!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. SurfHooks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +303
    I always advocated that he have his own section on SD fish, I was one of his biggest hater/supporter. Never forget the dead calicos on the back of his boat!!!!! So funny, LOL. I miss Lawman BLB, BLB, BLB, BLB!!! Bring Lawman Back!!!! Have fun at the seminar, he will tell you fishing is not fun and that he is an average fisherman. One of those things is true in my opinion, LOL. BLB , BLB......

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +13,866
    He did have a handful of members who did not appreciate his witty responses. Maybe a few handfuls. But he was always a chill guy to me. Even tho we don’t see eye to eye on the moving water thing, he never disrespected me or my opinions. I’ve fished with him numerous times, and even on my best outings, he’d have twice as many fish splashes(released fish) as I did. If I wasn’t on my way to Seattle, I’d be there at the seminar.

8. jusbayz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,493
    Boat:
    Cobra Fish n Dive
    I'm going to try to get there. The gentleman's bass catching genius is absolutely undeniable. But he was (is?) pretty darn abrasive! I used to cringe every time that "unevolved angler" rant came to bear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +37,762
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    In my mind, we don't have room in our sport for that type of negativity, whether screen time related or not. I have always felt that the way a person behaves behind a screen/bottle/pipe/etc is still part of how a person really is. Sure hope the cops don't start excusing behavior like that, ie "well, he never put her in the hospital when he wasn't drinking, so I guess he is okay"... Just saying...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  10. gnohs

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +313
    Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time.

A long time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. SurfHooks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +303
    Back in the day this would have turned into a 60 page back and forth popcorn show.

Meat-eater
    No fun having
    Buy hot dogs at the store instead of eating fish
    Cant soar with eagles if you hang out with Turkeys
    Evolve
    I'm just a chest pounding below average fisherman.
    Should have mowed the lawn
    I'm right and your wrong
    I'm big and your small
    I can afford a boat and you can't
    I killed Calico bass that one time cause he gave me gas money.....
    Neanderthal

Am I missing any Lawman'isms? - There were so many. LOL

Have fun at the Seminar!!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  12. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +17,904
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The pic with the dead Calicos in the background? One of my faves.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. SurfHooks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +303
    I think the dead Calicos was the same day he caught his PB Calico at the islands then drove it all the way back to San Diego Bay to show it off to everyone. LOL

Oh man, I would not think it is possible to have a situation that so accurately defines the definitions of hypocrisy, an oxymoron and irony all wrapped up into the same situation.

Hypoxyrony is the new word of the day. Thanks Lawman!!!! Your SDFish legacy lives on...

Come on Kellen let him back in the sandbox!!!

BLB!!

Any of you remember his alter ego, Calico Kid....LOL you cant make this stuff up...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. mikecheck1212

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,416
    i always thought dude was funny...but i also never really went toe to toe with him...few barbs here and there but nothing more...

15. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,836
    Agree 100%.

The Lawman was an instigator. I don't miss his dogmatic banters and stereotypes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,238
    He lives!!!

I did enjoy many of his rants but he eventually took things too far. Personality or not, he always lost me when he crossed over to the disrespect side. However, if you want to expand your knowledge of ocean bass and Hali's get there, cause he knows his stuff. Just leave your feelings in the car.

17. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,771
    It’s a choice, it’s neither right, nor wrong, and it’s not for everybody.

18. B8DHOOK

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,771
    Aw hell, since were gettin into this stuff, my favorite was Paul The Great. That guy made me laugh to the point of tears. One post, I think it’s around 2013, He catches a Black Sea Bass and posts pics of the thing. Oh man, people went ape Shyte over it and posted the usual stuff about BSB being illegal to catch, and you’ll get in trouble if you even take a pic. Etc etc... Paul writes back and says he didn’t know what it was, but it was interfering with his Halibut fishing, so he filled half of it, and threw the other half to the pellicans so they could pick off the meat. Then he quickly writes back, “ just joking, I mounted it “. The guy is a frikin riot on line, and certainly anti- politically correct. He and Lawman got into some pretty heated discussions over catch and kill, VS catch and release. ( meat eating Neanderthals Vs I’m a Red Blooded American Meat Eater ). Anyway, great reading for sure.

19. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,836
    If by ocean bass, you mean Calico's, then yes. If memory serves me right, Bill and partner entered into the SDBB tournament several times. I don't think he ever placed in the top 5. He caught a MONSTER calico bass at the Islands once. Possibly a state record fish. This was his claim to fame. This was the stroke his ego didn't need. His passion was calico's. Not halibut- not spotties or sandbass. And if you didn't share his passion for calicos, and if you didn't always practice C&R, he would BASH YOU! His dogma got annoying to me. At first you thought, he just has a sarcastic personality. It's playful jesting and banter.... Just fun instigation to get a rise out of people who take things too seriously. But after reading his posts and corresponding with him for years, I came to terms with the fact that Bill's beliefs weren't just jesting. They were EXACTLY how he felt. He called people neanderthals if they kept fish- regardless of the species. If you kept a calico..... OMG! He would publicly RAGE on you. He would always say, "Just invite yourself out with me." Well, when you publicly tell people you have an open seat on your boat, and no one wants to take you up on the offer, there might be a problem. In my opinion, Bill was narcissistic. He was NEVER wrong. He would NEVER apologize for offensive threads and name-calling. So when I heard he had been removed from SDFish, I lost ZERO sleep. This site has been more peaceful without his presence.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. toolbox

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,238
    Agreed, but I do remember him going on a few rants on how he owned the hali bite too...