Seminar with Bill Hokstad aka Lawman

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by dj thrillz, Sep 3, 2019.

1. SurfHooks

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +330
    I miss him as well... LOL

But how do we know if Calico bass are biting at the islands??

It was Calico bass above all other species. Remember how dumb you were if you even thought of targeting anything else? If you even suspected it was another species that bite your line I think you were supposed to just throw your rod in the water. Don't even think about having any fun at all.

The big Calico at the island - Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in awhile....LOL

2. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I don't remember that guy posting pictures of any halibut. I'm not saying he didn't. I'm just saying I don't recall it. But I remember the aforementioned character traits with specificity. I finally got to the point that I just skipped past anything and everything he wrote. He never gave accolades or kudos. He became the self proclaimed "benchmark" for what a true sporting fisherman should be. I remember when people would say that when they go fishing, the "fun factor" is a primary driving force, he would respond with cynical criticism, and say, "Fishing is a sport, and if you're just doing it for fun then you shouldn't be doing it at all." Or he would say "Fishing and fun are counter-intuitive concepts". Things like that. He would rob you of the joy that you expressed after sharing your great day on the water. He would browbeat you and project his personal convictions and beliefs onto you, and then demean you if you didn't agree. He never showed a modicum of interest in changing or compromising with alternative beliefs. For those reasons, I'm glad he doesn't post on here anymore.

3. Catchalot

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +487
    Boat:
    Catchalot
    Lawman;
    A side from him being “ Difficult” to most people on here.
    He did provide Good Calico bass reports, Info that you could
    use! ie: water conditions at a given spot, temp, current info,
    how well they bit with said conditions.
    You could formulate a game plan with his reports.
    I know he did not treat people on here very nicely,
    and that really is too bad. Much knowledge could have been shared
    if he would have went about it in a different way.
    I do Respect him as a angler.

#23 Catchalot, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,990
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    This is kinda like a "Roast" minus the jokes. Lawman is a Lawyer, so his posts were all about winning! He and I had several communications via "private message". If I told you what those entailed they would not be very private would they. I'll just say I don't think I won. I tried!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Some people would rather be right than be happy. After having several debates with him, and watching him browbeat people for over a decade on this website, I conceded and just stopped communicating with him. I'm a pretty opinionated guy. But the older I get, the more I learn to keep my mouth shut and not waste my energy in petty arguments. But the Lawman was pushing senior citizen age. And he still thrived on arguing, and trying to always be right. After looking at the situation with logic instead of emotion, I realized he was so set in his ways that he would never change. His narcissism became intrinsic to his being. So for my own sanity, I stopped communicating with him or responding to his posts. Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Hali_Hunter

Hali_Hunter Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +369
    I’ve only been on here on and off a couple years so I went and did some research... the lawman just made another fan

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Medicated fisherman

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,283
    I will just say he was not good for the sport. Sdfish hosts all types of anglers. For those that were not around then he could best be discribed as the opposite of werfless. His personality did not mix well with anyone who was not dedicated to just fishing calicos hard core. His arrogance and openly giving his belittling comments to new fisherman just trying to share an experience got old. How unless you fish big calicos and only big calicos you were just wasting your time. Pretty arrogant behavior from someone who was mediocre at catching anything except calicos. That said he had some good points and always invited to take you out with him and teach you his method.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. salt water guy

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,561
    Boat:
    Montauk
    Did anyone attend the seminar? How was it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  9. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    You are 100% spot on with what you wrote about him. This is exactly what he would do! I remember the name-calling, and belittling, and browbeating he would render for oppositional perspectives. He would even do it to new members who were obviously very excited about sharing their fun filled fishing experience. I'm pretty sure new members actually left this site because of some of his tyrannical and overbearing rants about how right he was, and how wrong the rest of society that didn't share his views was.

Paulfishes could REALLY get him going. Like when he would talk about how stupid calico are, and how easy they are to catch. He would use the half day boat fish counts as his ammo. He would call them "kelp bluegill". The Lawman would get incessant! I still chuckle to this day when I think about that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,403
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Fomen , one of the nicer nicknames I have for them is Mr Dum Dum... A more stupid fish could hardly be invented, I have asked many times of the calico guys: name me a fish you could catch a limit of on corn, sabiki or live mackerel other than calicos... They always seem stumped, lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,486
    Dude is a great guy, a very knowledgeable angler at that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. fishboy92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,486
    I been on this site since the early 2000s I remember when calfishing was just starting as well. Alot of originals some are still here and some has left the building. rza007, catfishruss, fishtricks, d-shotter, bassdaddytr21, the good days.

13. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    All the above are true, both the negative experiences and positive.

A key part that was left out by the guys that had a bad experience with Bill was that he would offer ANYONE a trip on his rig to help them excel with fishing. I was one of those guys that took him up on that offer more than once. I had a great time.

Here's a fairly old video (one of my first edits) With Bill and Thrills.

Lawman 1-17-15

14. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +14,392
    Although I remember that day well, there is no evidence I was on that boat lol, camera hog haha

15. Nute

Nute Researcher...
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,474
    totally. My first edit man, cut me some slack ;). We gottta link up again! Been to long.

16. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,990
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    The Lawman would strongly protest that accusation. He would say "show me one place where I have done that!" I feel compelled to put that out there since he is not here to defend himself.

When I first read his posts I thought he was a 6'2" 260 lb bodybuilder. He did come across as an internet Bully. But that was a persona that was unintended, IMHO. He is a Christian brother and my conversations with him involved the way he came across. He DID invite anyone and everyone onto his boat. He DID teach people how to catch SW Bass. Once I met the guy, I could hardly believe it was that same person I had been reading.

All of us need to stop and read out own posts before we hit that reply button. Read it from another's perspective, especially if the subject is contentious. I am still learning that!

#36 fisheromen, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  17. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,403
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Sorry, fisheromen .. not buying it. Don't think Christ would log onto an internet forum, call people pigs and neandarthals, crow about his personal greatness, and talk down some rookie's catch because he used a bucket. Reminds me of this other "good Christian" guy I knew. Went to church three times a week, volunteered in his community, prayed like few men I have met. Hired hookers, partied like an animal in TJ on "missions trips", popped pills like crazy, ended up giving his wife syphilis, his heart finally gave out a few days before his divorce was finalized. If you see him, tell him I send my regards...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,990
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    Not likely I will ever see him. Have you met Bill? Have you read his posts? I read them all, at the time they were posted. I do remember him coming across as pompous, but I don't remember the demeaning part. Maybe I am remembering selectively.

Hypocrites are legion and I know they comfort the unbeliever, but they are not even close to being the majority. I have often said that everybody seems to have a hypocrite story in their hip pocket. I encourage people not to be that story!

#38 fisheromen, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +40,403
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I don't hate on anyone for what they believe, until it harms other people, then I have a problem. The guy was straight up bad for our sport. I am sure he is a great guy.. when he isn't behind the keyboard, kind of like your neighbor before he drinks too much and starts beating his wife. And yes, I am sure I have met him. Probably thought highly of him too, because I was unaware of his behavior in this place.

Screenshot_20190918-115006~2.png

Screenshot_20190918-115101~2.png

20. Fomen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,952
    Your profile says you joined in 2013. Now I'm not insinuating you're lying about being a member since the early 2000's, but I don't remember ever seeing you back in the day. I joined in 2005, and I remember all of the aforementioned members. I also remember when the website had a massive makeover, and it required every member to recreate a user profile. That was in the middle of 2008. It just seems weird that you would wait 5 years to sign back up, unless you ditched your old profile and created a new one.

I couldn't help but notice you disagreed with my comment about the Lawman being an instigator. Werfless just posted unprovoked comments from him back in 2015 before he was ousted from the website. The forum administrators here are very gracious people, as is Kellen. The ONLY time they decide to kick someone off the site is if that person is a repeat offender. The Lawman REPEATEDLY bullied, demeaned, and criticized people for opposing views. Keep in mind.... We are talking about FISHING! Not politics or faith, which people's core values and belief systems revolve around. It's FISHING! The guy never gave accolades or "atta-boys". He resorted to name calling and belittling. When you think of a neanderthal, you think of a stupid, hairy, primitive, knuckle dragging, grunting, un-evolved beast. But he was a brilliant sportsman- refined and educated. He saw the light, and the rest of us were stuck in the darkness. So for you to say he's a great guy, you have to ignore 99% of his posts. And if you look back on his profile, that's a LOT of posts. It's a LOT of bashing and name-calling. Don't feel special if he invited you out on his boat. He invited many people. I almost took him up on a few occasions. But it only took a matter of hours, or a day tops for him to post some arrogant and critical response, and I would back out.

If the "real Lawman" is better in person, then that's even less reason for me to want to be around him. He's counter-intuitively created a very off-putting internet personality. I say it's counter-intuitive because most people who are fake over the internet do the opposite. They create a flattering online appearance, then when you meet them in person you find out they suck! The Lawman did the opposite. And by doing so, very few people wanted to meet him in person. This just doesn't make sense to me. But for those reasons, and for the 1.5 decades of experience I have corresponding with him, or reading his highly critical and unwarranted responses to people, I'm not sad he no longer posts on this website.