Serious newbie boater questions for a center console boat. hopefully someone can help.

Discussion in 'Private Boaters and General Saltwater' started by Yump, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Okay so looking to make a move from a skiff to a center console. Looking to push it to inshore and light offshore fishing. Boats on the table are a 79 kevlar bottom hydra sport 17.5'. A 90 17' proline with spotlock trolling motor. A 88 18' wellcraft or a 23' bayrunner baja. I'm leaning towards the hydra sport cause they look so sexy but the 23' bayrunner baja sounds like it will take me where I need to go and father? Please thoughts and input always greatly valued!!

2. Noms

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,857
    What boat are you upgrading from?

3. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Is the Wellcraft the one with the extension bracket? If so that one gets my vote. I had a buddy with a smaller (17?) Bayrunner and when the ocean was glass or the bay was flat it was awesome since it sits on top of the water, but when it was rough it hurt like hell.

4. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Just a 14' aluminum valco skiff. Nothing crazy and I'm not going to head straight out and fish the open water going to get my bearings first lol.

5. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    It has a full transom extender thing. Lol it looks super dope. Just a little older and kinda shows its age.

6. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,920
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    What ever used boat you buy it maybe worth the money to have it surveyed before the purchase ,especially since you stated you are a newbie . There is a lot to look at as far as problems , concerns that an untrained eye may not notice . Towing weight can be a problem depending on your vehicle . From a safety standpoint boats manufactured 20 feet and under in length require level floatation which means when the chips are down you will at least have something to hang onto when your in the water . Over 20 may have floatation but it isn't a requirement during manufacture . When swamped they usually go down . Just something to consider . Good luck in your search . WR

#6 William Ritchie, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  7. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    That transom extension will make it ride like about a 21' which is a huge difference. I was looking at that boat until the wheels fell off of the economy here and yeah it will need some work but I think those are some great "bones" to start with. However that only addresses the ride, now you need to address the fuel capacity. What was the fuel capacity on it? You already know how an aluminum boat performs, have you driven a heavier fiberglass boat to feel the difference in cutting through the water rather than skimming on top?

8. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Yes how do I find a surveyor to go out with me and what's a good price to pay without being taken advantage of?

9. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I have asked about the fuel capacity I think there might be a language barrier cause they just keep saying good fuel consumption lol. I definitely am looking for a smoother ride. I've been out on a buddies fiberglass boat that thing is chill but also its 23'. Last thing I want is to loose my boat from sinking like WR said

10. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,920
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    I would have to say online resources would be the best bet , I do not know anyone personally but someone on this site may chime in . The few I have been at the boat when surveyed they came to the house by appointment . I would say you could expect at least $100 and hour including travel time . You may be able to tow it to some shops that can provide the service as well . In the long run it could save you a ton of money especially when it comes to the power unit . WR

11. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    I never went back to aluminum after I bought my first fiberglass one. Another important question you touched on is how much you want to work on or pay someone else to work on your boat. If your not mechanically inclined or rich then just buy the one that's in the best shape and adapt to wherever it will let you fish. Its no fun to load up some buddies to go down to the ramp and get laughed at when it wont start, I tried that a few times. Also nothing funner in my opinion than being in the middle of the ocean by yourself catching wide open Dodos or YT because you know the hell out of your boat and abilities. Make sure you buy an epirb and Tow Boat US membership, its money well spent. Just google "Marine surveyors" and see if you can find any close by the boat. I used a guy named Doug Embly who is awesome but the last 2 times but that was for big boats in slips. You may have to tow it to a shop or have a mobile mechanic do it.
    FYI
    I'm 2 boats past "I'll never buy another boat as long as I live" so obviously i'm still an idiot.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    awesome will definitely look into setting up appointments for sure!

13. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah that's definitely something I'm trying to avoid lol. Most likely bound to happen to me for sure! I'm able to work on cars but I hate it lol just dirty and it sticks with you regularly. I work as a bartender so I can't be having horrid hands mixing drinks. One thing I'm curious to is my buddy who sells new boats up in Montana said to save up and buy a 19' plus to head out on the waters to chase yellows and some big bluefin when they're around. How far out do you really need to go? Like how far is the 189 or the 9 or all the other dope dream spots I've read about but never had the chance to experience?

14. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Would I be able to get out there with the 17' proline or would an 18 or 19' be what I save up for instead?

15. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Well the 9 is an easy one....its 9 from the tip of Point Loma. LOL You will need to buy one of the maps from Squidco for all the other ones within range. Right now the fish are about 35 miles out, a few even less but I caught a 40 LB Bluefin on the 9 2 years ago first fish ellie dee.JPG (on 20 lb test!)

16. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,920
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Well the 9 is indeed about 9 mile out . Keeping an eye on the weather and knowing your boat and abilities as Fins in the Bin Stated are all key . When I was still 10 foot tall and bulletproof I used to take a 12 ft wide Western skiff out and paddy hopping on calm days . I now have a Western wide 17.5 x8 aluminum , and when fishing boiler rocks inside ETC it can get hairy any minute . Take your time ,learn to captain your boat Remember you are the Captian and your decisions dictate the passengers safety . WR BTW Western evolved into Bayrunner baja when Klamath Absorbed Western and then Valco .

#16 William Ritchie, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  17. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Every day is different and you need to study and learn the wind/swell charts, some days you cant make it on a 50' yacht, some days you can make it on a 12' boat, its all about the weather that dictates where your going to fish on each day.

18. Fins in the Bin

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,081
    Name:
    Greg
    Boat:
    Agree with WR above as well. That must be why I fish solo most of the time!!! Ha Ha

19. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Damn that's a biggen for sure!!! Holy hell on 20# that's some man **** right there hahaha gotta play that fish out before you bring it in for sure!! Yeah I was planning on starting out on cattle boats but this whole corona nonsense has made it to where I was able to save up cash and not drink all my profit away lol. So figure why not now more than ever to invest in a boat? I will definitely look into squidco and the charts to map out the waters that's such a dream come true!

20. Yump

Yump Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Heck yeah I'm super stoked on that aspect. For the first few outings and even missions I'm just going to solo it. That way I can get a feel for everything and take the boat and ocean in for what they are. Definitely going to get the marine rescue services cause well yeah I don't want to break down out there and be stranded lol