Shark and Ray Setup?

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by JoshJ123, Oct 14, 2019.

1. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    Trying to get into the shark/ray game this fall/winter. I have a couple iffy setups that will work okay but I want to get a new rod and reel that I will be confident in its ability to pull in the bigger fish. I want a rod to cast far, and a good spinning reel that can hold heavier line, also trying to stay in a low-medium price range. I don’t have much knowledge on this type of fishing so I am open to all suggestions. Not really sure what size rod and reel would be ideal, and what # line for main line and or leader line. Also what size and type of weights work best? All advice is appreciated.

-Josh

2. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,889
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    In the bay or out in the surf? Two different beasts, and are you locked in on spinning gear?

3. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    I'll be fishing in the bay, probably only Mission Bay. I'm not locked in on spinning gear but have never used any baitcasting gear before aside from the rentals on charter boats. I'm definitely more comfortable with spinning but hey if a baitcaster would be more ideal then I would get one, just not very confident when it comes to casting them.

4. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +3,467
    Name:
    Eric
    I'm not a shark guy and have never really targeted them, but from what i see most of the guys who kill on sharks and rays use conventional reels with stout surf rods or jigsticks. I'm sure someone will chime in, there are some excellent shark fisherman on here..

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,889
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    I mean.. you can use spinning gear, that said, you can get a LOT more mileage out of conventional gear for the price. You could totally fight a 100 lb bat ray with a jigmaster you got for 25 bucks at the pawn shop (with some cheap dyneema if you prefer it for line capacity).. much harder to find a spinner you could say the same for, at least in the long term. This reel in the 80 size would be fine for awhile, but it would not last even like a fairly cheap conventional, and dyneema backing might not be optional.. for 40 bucks new? No brainer

50% OFF BLOWOUT SALE! Select Avenger ABF B-Series

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  6. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction reel wise, do you know what range I should be looking for in terms of casting weight for rods? And what # mono is ideal?

7. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,889
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    You are really looking at a minimum of 30 lb. If you use any lighter you WILL have to break off decent fish you will have no chance of landing, with 30 lb and at least 250 yards of line and backing, you can land some beasts upwards of 75# without too much hassle. The ability to cast at least 4 oz is pretty standard, a bit more isn't a bad thing, especially if you want to chase the true bruisers in January, but I like 50 lb line on a big conventional for that

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  8. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    Would a heavier leader compensate for less line and slightly lighter main line? (like 25 # mono) Also is a 10 foot rod a good length?

9. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,889
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Whatever you choose in a rod, get one that feels comfortable with the reel you choose. If it were me, I would look at 8-9 foot in conventional, 8-10 foot in spinning. The heavier your reel is, the harder it is to find a good casting balance in a long rod, in my experience. A rod at 7'6" that is easy to cast will obviously outperform some twelve foot wonder that is just too much rod for you. Distance is less important at MB than off the cliffs or some of the open surf areas. You will need heavy leaders for anything you are thinking about, and possibly wire and rub leaders too for some work, depending on the target

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  10. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    Thanks Werf, your advice is greatly appreciated as always. I'm thinking of finding a rod around 9 feet give or take a little to pair with the Avenger size 80. Super excited to go after these bigguns for the next few months.

11. Werfless

Werfless The Coach
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +39,889
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    It's almost time...

12. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,986
    Get one surf capable. 12 foot Penn Carnage II that can cast 10 oz of weight or similar. Nothing stops you from using it in the bay.

I use this... coupled with a Daiwa saltist 40

PENN® Carnage™ II Surf Casting | PENN®

13. Kam_Walsh98

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,330
    I agree with the comments above about using a solid conventional outfit over having to buy an expensive spinning reel. Penn squalls and fathoms in the 30-60lb range are good for this. I spool mostly 50lb braid with a 50-100yard 40-50lb mono topshot and a 8-10foot 100lb shock leader. You won’t need the shock leader for Leo’s and bats in the bay but necessary for the surf. Casting long distances with a bait caster isn’t very hard either; a few hours of practice on a football field and you’ll be good to go. I think it’s honestly easier (aside from the occasional high speed backlash) than casting spinning gear with heavy weights and heavy braid. The heavier gear will also allow you to fish sharks in the surf once you’re ready (a lot more exciting IMO). People do fish lighter gear in both environments but I don’t think it’s that ethical to exhaust them more than necessary; the tackle I mentioned is honestly on the lighter side of things, at least when compared to what guys use to kayak baits our

14. Valco14

Valco14 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222
    The all important shock leader. Length of rod + a couple turns.
    A open field/park, with nobody around is a good place to hone your skills with the old traditional multiplier reel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. spideyjg

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,986
    Go throw in the bay or a lake. The dynamics of a 8 ounce weight tied straight on vs 3 way with 8oz weight, whole mac head, and 3 feet of wire leader is a different ball game backlash wise.

Plus for sharks you are casting into darkness. Everything is by feel to avoid a birds nest.

16. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Oddly poetic :emoji_thinking:

17. anthony92

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +404
    For the bay penn battle 2 6000 or 8000 cheap and can take a beating
    Then grab a 8ft rod 40-60 or 30-50/60

18. William Ritchie

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,278
    Name:
    WjRitchie
    Boat:
    17.5 Western Wide CC
    Keep the knot of the shocker on the opposite side of where you thumb is when casting . Also keep in mind if you crack the weight off when practicing it will go about twice as far as you think . A football field may not have the distance to provide a non lethal spot for the lead to go . Kind of like shooting a gun that doest aim well. . Another Idea is to use a LaCross ball with a small Eye bolt put through it they weigh 5 oz , or tennis ball with your lead squeezed through a small hole in the bottom and the line thru a smaller hole in the top covering it . Keeps you from having to dig the lead out of the turf as well . Reels with a Mag control or aluminum spooled reels that can be static magged will help as well in the beginning . Be safe out there . WR

#18 William Ritchie, Oct 18, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  19. OPERATOR SPECTRE

OPERATOR SPECTRE Small stingrays make great frisbees
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,516
    I was casting a surface iron that the hook broke off of at my local park and it flew off and went like 200 yards and stabbed completely into the ground.. I had to dig it out with a shovel

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. JoshJ123

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +384
    Same thing happened to me but I needed a backhoe to dig it out