Shelter Island 8/20

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,973
    Hit SI this morning. Got in at 650am.. water was soft.. no ripples.. 68 degrees and was kind of slack just moments away from the beginning of a nice inbound tide.

IMG_1850.JPG

Took a fistful of decent little Spotties, then got drilled by something that ran a few feet of line and broke me off, taking my sweet little olive Clouser with it. Re-tied with a 2 Marabou Clouser and went back to work.

First drag and I get drilled again, but by something much bigger. This one played out all of my fly line and took me into the backing.. and anytime I get into the backing, my first thought is always I'm about to lose a ninety-dollar fly line.. and I immediately get on the reel in a panic over the prospect of a lost line. So I'm winding, and I'm really going nowhere because I'm only winding myself toward the fish, not him towards me. And this game continued for well over ten minutes. By far, it was the fastest I've ever had line rip out from my reel. Took a nice little skin burn on my left index and middle fingers for the effort.

I wanted so bad to get this thing back to the sand, but it wasnt to be. So I started firing off pictures of my line and the bend.

IMG_1852.JPG

It felt good to get enough of the yellow line back on the reel so that I wasn't worried about losing it anymore.. but it sure would have been nice to see what was hanging on at the other end. He ended up ripping my fluorocarbon from the split ring and taking taking both it and a second Clouser with him. Oh well.

Another handful of Spotties after that for a total of 19 today in close to 2.5 hrs of fishing. And I was getting tired of fighting the current that whips around the front of that sand beach, so I finally stopped kicking, turned around, and let the current glide me back to the sand. So worth it.

2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016
    Where do you launch for SI? I assume you're fishing in the harbor?

3. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,973
    See the first picture? Right there on that sand beach. You can park right above it. I'm parked just 150' west of the new boat launch. I'm guessing I walked no more than 75' from my tailgate to the edge of the water. I'm just dragging and dredging around the moored boats mostly. Its also a ton of fun to drag the ledge out there. There are three different levels.. one is roughly 7'-16', the second is 16'-22' or so.. and the other one is just east of the easternmost boat. It drops from the 20's to around 33' in a kelp forest. Freaks me out to be near kelp in a float tube.

4. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,016

Oh, duh. I didn't realize there was a beachy area right there; I only go east of the ramp so I can fish out of my car with a baby sleeping in the back. Good to know about the drop offs. I hear you about the kelp, I've seen some big male sea lions out there.

5. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,973
    There was one there today, but he was staying in shallow water near the beach and gave me no hassles at all... thank God.

6. SoCal_Fishing

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +473
    Name:
    Tobin H.
    Boat:
    The Rental Ones
    I bet it was a hali. Been broken off so many times by something big in the America's Cup Harbor. Finally caught that sucker and it was a legal halibut.

7. fisheromen

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +18,423
    Boat:
    1986 Glastron
    I'm guessing you foul hooked a Bat Ray. I've done that a few times.

8. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +7,973
    Took off much MUCH faster than the last ray I butt-hooked. And it was a constant pull.. no starts and stops.. just line ripping. The only reason it stopped is because I panicked and went on the reel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List