Shelter Island 9/4

Discussion in 'Float Tubing' started by Creek, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Creek

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +8,537
    Dragged flies this morning with Capt Woody at SI.. started at 0630 hrs. Warm and humid outside temps with a water temp of 72. Tide was minutes away from low slack, with the inbound tide just moments away. Gorgeous morning with the promise of hot humidity in the air.

2.JPG

3.JPG
    Three ledges out there. We fished all three - and I found a hole that went 43' deep and was maybe twenty feet across. I dont think there was any way my 200-grain line was going to make it down that far, but I gave it a shot. Saw a ton of fish on the fun-o-meter, and connected to a few of them.

1.JPG

5.JPG

Long story short, I took 16 total on a 6wt rod.. 1 Sand Bass, 1 Mackerel, and the rest Spotties. No idea how many Woody took. Just before getting out I was dredging a single, orange Perechinsky Clouser near the westernmost concrete boat ramp wall. Here's the story of the morning.. My line takes off 90mph. I stomped on the brakes as fast as I could - maybe a bit too much. Whatever it was pulled me enough to pull my boat along with me in it. Pointed the rod tip at it and it took off again, then snapped me off. Retrieved my line to find out he had swiped my orange Clouser, my 14lb length of fluorocarbon, my 30lb Fireline leader, and my loop-to-leader connector, tearing it off the fly line and leaving me with a 26.5' sink tip line that started out 27'.. get that?.. tore the loop-to-leader connector - that I add Crazy Glue to just an an insurance policy - right off the sink tip line. Woody heard the reel scream and looked over. Still he was easily 75' or so away from me, so he didnt really get the full effect. But hey, I had a witness and that's what counts.

4.JPG

Hot as heck at the get-out. Gonna try it again in the morning - just not sure where yet. Then, Woody and I are planning on doing a little evening session somewhere on one of the two bays. Going ultralight for that little adventure.. and I'll probably end up wishing I hadn't. I'll post pictures of any broken rods and torn line if it happens.

2. Neuroshima

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +2,187
    That's your spot now, huh? I went to MP yesterday afternoon. Got a handful of spotties and a dinky calico. There was a little bit of filamentous algae, but nothing terrible. Looks like it's turning around.

3. DogDudeDrone

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,685
    Name:
    Zach Carman
    Boat:
    Feet
    great pictures!

4. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Welcome to the 3wt and below club-" our motto is if your not getting worked your missing out on some fun" I got 5 sbb biggest 13.5" on the 2wt and 5 on the 5wt had screamer to but 2wt has no brakes, thinking 1wt,2wt tomorrow evening.will add some pics from phone in a bit

5. captwoody

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +1,749
    Name:
    Woody
    Boat:
    19ft Kencraft
    Just a few bass on the 2wt:emoji_astonished: 0904190701.jpg 0904190709.jpg 0904190747.jpg