Shore fishing Newbie Tips + Advice

Discussion in 'Bay Fishing' started by EAbes, Oct 19, 2018.

1. EAbes

EAbes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hey everyone,

Just moved here from the east coast. Very experienced saltwater fisherman there, mostly surf-fishing in the Northeast for striped bass and inshore fishing in Florida for snook, tarpon, etc.

Never had a boat and love fishing from shore. My plan was to start off fishing SD Bay and Mission Bay hard before surf-fishing.

I've read through a ton of threads on here that have been super helpful. Just thought I'd post to see if anyone has any ad hoc tips or advice they would care to share to a newbie to the area. Looking forward to getting out there with some of you.

Tight lines
    Eric

2. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,066
    Welcome Eric! You’ll be bored with our species here compared to what the east coast has to offer lol. We have some decent sized critters roamin around but not as frequent as you’d find on the east coast. But if this is your home might as well make the best of it. If you start in the bays, you can easily catch tiny bass to keep the cobwebs off. There’s always something to target. Depends on time of year, in some cases tidal flow, and area. I’ll go over some info with you at Shore Pounders.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Chriwilson

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +4,129
    Welcome Eric

Personally, I can’t wait to get back to fish the keys - Islamorada

4. Werfless

Werfless The Coach ..RIP my friends
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +48,765
    Name:
    D/Daniel/Coach/Werf
    Boat:
    One too many
    Welcome to come fish with me any time.. I am a bit different though... Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
    • List
  5. Shawn H

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +821
    Welcome! Came from Maryland, I to miss the stripers or Rockfish as we called em ;)

6. Easy619

Easy619 Tug Addict
    SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +5,913
    Name:
    Eric
    Welcome. Eric a good name (mine too haha). The DJ thrillz sticky threads about the bays are a great starting point. From there doing a forum search about the species your interested in can help you learn a lot. I know it helped me. Post some reports we like to see fish!

7. Oldflyer

Oldflyer Member

Ratings:
    +42
    dj thriliz, I hate to dispute a revered poster here--especially since I would be considered a Newbie--but, damn there is not a thing wrong with Spotted Bay Bass. I moved out from Virginia a little over six years ago, where I fished rivers for my beloved small mouth, and mountain streams for tiny, beautiful native brook trout. The difference between Sm and SBB as far as I am concerned is that SM occasionally jump. The only difference between little Brookies and any other predator is size. But, the ferociousness and strength are similar. I have grown to love SBB. I had a few opportunities to fish for snook, and such in Fl inland waters, and I do love snook. But, I am content with what is available in the bays in Newport and Alamitos; SBB, the rare Halibut, and recently a nice size ray and squid.

I wasted over six years when I moved out because of traffic phobia--Lord, it is over an hour to the bay if I start at 5Am, and age. But, I am thankful that my daughter "surprised" me with a kayak for my 83rd birthday and motivated me to finally got off my *** and back on the water. I am working hard to learn how to fish these waters, and organize myself to not get totally FU'd up in a kayak.

San Diego Naval Hospital, birth place of my younger daughter. My family will always remember the SD of the mid-60s as one of God's gifts to us. You guys in the SD area are blessed. I am sure you know it.

8. dj thrillz

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +16,066
    There’s totally nothing wrong with catching spotties, but compared to the fish the OP was catching on the east coast, spotties are small time. That’s all. We do have a great fishery here, and if spotties got as big as LMB, then my opinion would be a different story.
    And if you’re 83, and tearing it up on a kayak, kudos to you!

9. Oldflyer

Oldflyer Member

Ratings:
    +42
    dj thriliz, all of 83. Certainly not tearing it up; but trying.

I know what you mean, and posted somewhat TIC. I follow a site based in my hometown of Tampa, Fl and those guys are catching 40" Reds and Snooks almost as large, and nice big trout--all in Tampa Bay, and usually in 1 to 3 ft of water. Fun fishing. They have other options as well.

Just before I left Va they blew out an old dam on the Rappahannock River, then stocked the upper river with Striper fry, so by now it should be possible to catch anadromous Stripers up to 50 miles upstream during the spawn--and small mouth year round. That river is undeveloped and accessible by wading, or by canoe or kayak.

No doubt that there is a lot of variety that is pretty accessible in salt or fresh.

Still, I am content to catch SBB when I can.