Shore fishing spots

Discussion in 'Lobster Fishing' started by evo8rcr, Oct 21, 2012.

1. evo8rcr

evo8rcr Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know any good spots to throw some hoop nets from shore other than ob pier? Thanks

2. ferd

ferd Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Go to Shelter Island....Harbor Police Station....and look out to the West toward Point Loma....there is a big drop off there. Throw an eclipse type hoop net only from the steep rocky jetty. This should score you some bugs if you can avoid getting snagged permanently on the rocks. I suggest rapid retreival from a high rock to avoid snags.

3. Paul the Great

Paul the Great Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +321
    You asked the same question last year and I told you that pier fishing for lobster sucks. Shore fishing, as I already said, is the stupidest thing Ive ever heard of. Dark, slippery rocks, water below, tangled nets in the jetty. LAME!

Piers are full of creepy weirdos all of which are on drugs. Avoid them. Night time on a pier sounds like a shanking waiting to happen. Freaks. I fully expect that Im gonna get in a fight if I step foot on a pier at night. Dont bring a knife to a gunfight.

At least get a kayak and go 20 yards off the sand launch at SI where everyone else goes and hoop around the moored boats. Tons of guys do this, so they must be catching something. Grow a pair and kayak out to the deep end or where ever and figure it out like every one else. I know of two guys who kayak out to the mouth area and do great each time out. Get a piece of junk boat with a wimpy motor and give it a go. Get a boat. Do it on a SUP. Just get something that floats.

Lobster fishing off the shore in San Diego bay makes no sense. Do it and become a pioneer and show everybody how to do it. This is usually my approach. I wonder about something, ask people, they tell me Im stupid, then I go out and figure it out all by myself and say, "Look, not only did I do it, I mastered it! Now your stupid and Im not telling you how I do it."

Do not ask if there are good shore spots anymore. Lobster fishing is a boat sport.

4. ferd

ferd Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    EVO......don't be bullied or discouraged. Paul is very knowledgable...but he pays more than $14.00 for every lobster he gets (if his limit is 7). That is...he claims to pay $100 for each boat trip, assuming that his estimate includes gas and oil, CA boat registration and trailer liscence fees and motor upkeep, it breaks down to nearly the same price as store bought lobster per pound. A shore fisherman gets nearly free bugs...(albeit a lot fewer bugs)...on each trip.
    He is perfectly correct in telling you to try to get on the water. I bought a new, inflatable SEAHAWK 4 with paddles and pump included for only $65. After you buy plywood flooring, an airhorn, lifejackets and baitcages and 2 walmart hoop nets and bait and headlamp/or lantern....you will have invested.....a little more than $200. Your lobster trips then become exciting (my daughter and I had a guy on a moored boat pull a gun on us!) and inexpensive.

5. evo8rcr

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow why did he pull a gun

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

6. ferd

ferd Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Some knuckle-head had gotten his boat broken into the previous night...so he thought it was a good idea to take out a pellet gun and try to scare off people hoop netting 100ft away from his boat. The Harbor police ended up getting a warrant and searching his boat. They took all his weed and his "gun".
    The guy profusely apologized to me and my daughter a week later. The Harbor Police told me that we could hoop net anywhere we wanted as long as it was not a navigational hazard.

7. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    Ferd, shore fishing for lobster is stupid. This is how I bully people, I tell the truth. Go hoop net off the rocks in SDBay and report to us how it went. Go toss a few hundred bucks worth of gear off the rocks, wait a while, then try and get your trap back, and then check to see if there are lobsters in the trap, in the dark, on a slippery rock, an measure them? Best case senario is that you actually retreive your trap, its still gonna get all banged up on the rocks, and torn, and then you will be replacing hoop nets. You are gonna have to go with the stand up style because the flats will not keep lobsters inside at a angle from the direction you will be pulling. The pier is the best option for boatless hoopers.

As far as discouraging the shore bound angler, I told him to go pioneer a new way of fishing for lobster in the bay. Reinvent the wheel, make a better mouse trap, and we will all learn and follow what he did if it is successful.

Going off the shore is dumb. I said it last year and I will stand by this statement. Ferd, are you suggesting that he does indeed go fish off the rocks? And if so, what spots are you suggesting? Since he asked where to go and I said dont, where are you suggesting he goes?

Lobsters cost me way more than 14 bucks each. Its not a money issue. Its cheaper to buy halibut, but I spend over a thousand bucks a season trying to catch them. New rods and reels, line, tackle, bait. Why am I even having to explain this?

I also surf more than I fish. Technically, surfing is free, but a new board and wetsuit each year, and gas, is not free. I guess each wave costs me a dollar? Who cares, I do it because I have always done it and it is my passion. Same with fishing or hunting. I have to pay to play.

Here is the cost of all the stuff I have bought this season:
    10 new ambush nets. 35 bucks each.
    10 ropes, 10 bucks each
    10 buoys, 10 bucks each
    10 bait systems, 5 bucks each
    bait, 40 bucks a night
    glowsticks 10 bucks a night
    reflective tape 25 bucks
    bolts 30 bucks
    epoxy 15 bucks
    weights 25 bucks
    spotlights 50 bucks
    oil 20 bucks
    gas 40 bucks
    vessel assist 168 bucks
    Theres a thousand bucks right off the bat.
    Per night, I figure I spend 40 bucks in gas, 5 bucks in oil, the 10 bucks in glowsticks, 40 dollars worth of bait, so yeah, it works out to about 100 bucks a night.
    Some nights I dont do very well and then the cost of a unit of lobster is high, some nights we cull lobsters and get all kinds of neat creatures, and its fun, and then I dont care how much it costs, Im having a good time.

Anyone else is free to go buy a truck that can tow a boat, a boat, and outfit the boat with all the gear. Go do this and get back to me and let me know how much it cost. You will not find a better deal than someone offering to take a random stranger out for a TRADE. Im not asking for money and Ive never told someone thay can come if they give me money.

Another giant, the biggest part of this whole deal, is the fact that I actually get what Im after more times than not. I have pulled limits on the last 4 outings. I have got lobsters that are trophy sized. Nobody else offers what I offer, or does as well as I do, or goes as much.

Here was my last haul.
    twobugcooler.jpg

As soon as you or someone else can show the results I do, I would suggest just doing what I say and do.

8. evo8rcr

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a nice bass boat i would never take in the ocean so i already have a truck ready and rigged full size chevy practically brand new still only 6k miles 4x4 crew cab bought new...to me it's not about going on a boat....for me to feel comfortable in the pitch black night i would need a very reliable boat something newer with a motor that is on point...definitely wouldnt kayak it at night and pull nets...bass fishing the lakes is my sport of choice...i just go lobstering to hang out with a few buddies while we throw back a drink or two or three.....we don't drink or kick back while we are bass fishing we always have our game faces on either a local tournament or little bet amongst friends....it's just fun this is our first lobster season and we have gone 4 or 5 times with very few keepers...i could have bought the lobster for a 10th of the cost...and i dont see myself buying another boat to take in the ocean and drop 60k on a center console and not have another place to store a second boat...too much work we would like to catch a few lobster just so we are not just hanging out drinking...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

9. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    evo8rcr,
    You take me fishing at DVL on your boat and I will take you hoop netting on my boat. Ill give you a few days to choose from and I will go with you in march/april/may for a day on you boat on the lake. I have all my own bass tackle as LMB fishing use to be my number one passion in fishing. I have fished and placed in tournaments, fished most lakes in NorCal/delta/clear lake and every lake down here countless times. My biggest is 14.4 from Wolf and Ive got 12 bass over ten pounds. Im done bass fishing unless its private ponds or the delta, or DVL.

You can drink till you puke on my boat while hooping. I wont have a sip, cuz I operate the boat and drive home. Same when you take me to DVL. Ill outfish you in the morning, then start drinking before 10am and let you catch the rest.

Deal?

10. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    Id feel safe on the ocean at night, in the fog, with my eyes closed, and no arms, swimming to shore. My merman skills come into play.

11. toyscars

toyscars Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To start out, I do not cull lobsters because it is against the law. I go out at least twice a week and sometimes more. I do not spend alot of money because I have been using the same lobster traps for years. I do change out my rope once in awhile when needed. I buy my glow sticks but they are cheap, when you buy them on the interent but I have switch to the promar lights. The work great. I do have a boat payement and insurance and storaged fees but that is my choice. Im not trying to get someone to make the payments for me or pay for my gear. The biggest cost to me is gas and that is about $20.00 per night. I have a truck but I have always had a truck. I buy fresh salmon and it costs me 5 cents a pound. I will not say that I get my limits every time but more the 80 percent this year and if take a new guy then he will get to take aleast 7 home with him. I might not get my limit but the new guy will. I gave away more lobsters this year then I have eaten. I have 7 in the freezer because the is the limit and the law.

12. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52
    Wow two or more times a week lobster hunting! Sounds like someone needs to get a job!

13. toyscars

toyscars Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Next year will be back to work.

14. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    Toyscars, what is your point?
    Culling lobster is not illegal. You cant think of any legal way to do it? Keep one less all the time, or if you have six and you pull two legals in the last pull, you obviously keep the bigger of the two, and if you still have to pull five more traps, and you pull a six pounder, you could toss the smallest one in your livewell overboard the instant the big one comes on board. Regular brain power would be enough to figure this one out.
    I dont have a boat payment, or truck payment. Ive always stated I dont need or want money. Just hook me up if I hook you up. I actually take strangers out and hook them up, usually I vet nothing except thanks in return.
    Post you reports with pictures. We would all like to see you twice a week trips with your lobster.
    Ive posted a how to tutorial that has been read by over seven thousand people, some have done what I said and are no great lobstermen. This is part of my deal.
    Reports, trips, tip, pictures, are all part of my contribution on sdfish, the ego and sarcasim are just added exteas to entertain a dull bunch of posts.
    Without me, there would be no pictures or tips. Add some thing why dont you. Put up or shut up.

15. ahowler

SDFish VIP

Ratings:
    +52
    Well said Paul, like they say a picture is worth a thousand words and posting up pictures now of past trips just shows over the past years you have got a few lobster. I have been out fishing with you ONCE and it was a great time, we did not get on any fish that day but we had a great time. You are about the only reason I snoop around here anymore I always just go straight to your post! Thanks for the entertainment and knowledge you share.

16. toyscars

toyscars Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahowler, Should I post pictures of the two fish that I caught and you took home with you? Thats alright one day you will step up from spotties and catch the bigger fish in the bay. HAHA

lobster 003.JPG

lobster 002.JPG

17. toyscars

toyscars Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just check with DFG and they said that you could cull lobster and that means tha paul was right and I was wrong.

18. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    Toyscars, thanks for making this interesting. Nice boat. One nights catch in the boat and on the driveway is cool. By my calculations, you have gone twenty times since october, twice or more a week, which is double what Ive done. You are the master.
    ahowler, I thought you or my dad caught at least one? I got zero with you and fished the OBBT the next day and placed 34th out of 150. Beating all the "pros". Me n my dad were .07lbs away from Ed Howeson and Dennis Burelton. That was the mark I had set, to beat those two.
    toyscars, well done on your lobster fishing outings. Id love to hook up and talk smack and kill lobsters with you.

19. toyscars

toyscars Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, Im not working at this time, just going to college. So have alot free time but back to work next year. Ahowler get lobsters drop off at his house so not sure why he is crying about. He a good fisherman of the back bay but any where else he has trouble.

20. Paul the Great

Ratings:
    +321
    "Your mom goes to college"